View Full Version : just a question about Kill Bill 2

sickbadthing
05-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Okay, Is This Realistic?
by - chongdawger (Sun Apr 18 19:21:23) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, Beatrice Kiddo knocking a hole in the coffin and crawling out of the grave might be something to watch on an action movie, but is this realistic? For one thing, 100 pounds of dirt would pummel her face, killing her instantly. Secondly, scratching and crawling out of six feet of dirt would be equivalent to swimming in a pool of hardening cement; it's hard enough digging the grave (doesn't this take hours), but Kiddo would already be dead from suffocation.

Unless someone can prove me wrong? I remember some magicians like Houdini crawled out of a grave. But I think they cheated.
Re: Okay, Is This Realistic?
by - shgrdii (Sun Apr 18 19:24:00) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your failing to realize that Quentin Tarantino doesn't give a *beep* about what is realistic and what isnt. Did you see volume 1?? Does blood squirt out like that?? No, it doesnt. Look at Vol. 2. Can a guy stand on a sword like that?? No, impossible. Is there a heart exploding technique??/ No, there isnt. Quentin likes unrealistic stuff. I think it makes his movies cooler.
by - tali81 2 days ago (Mon May 3 09:15:20) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Actually, I think there is heart exploding technique. I remember a friend of mine who was really into martial arts telling me something like that a few years ago...
off topic, I know, just thought it would be fun to share.
Anyway, you are right, it's not supposed to be realistic

props
by - ireallyreallyhateyou 1 day ago (Tue May 4 01:36:05) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

well said..my thoughts exactly
by - VictorVega (Sun Apr 18 19:24:57) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Ummmm.... out of everything in this movie why'd you pick that example. ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE REALISTIC! QT did a lot of unrealistic things in this movie on purpose...
by - chongdawger (Sun Apr 18 19:45:59) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

You have a poin there!!!
by - mrp- (Sun Apr 18 20:02:59) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Whos Beatrice Kiddo? Her name is Beatrix =P

-----
Kill Bill: Volume 1 is awesome!
LoTR: RoTK is awesome!
mrp-, previously known as defsoft
by - a_scobel (Sun Apr 18 20:06:30) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

So why not say something about Beatrix carrying a sword with her on the plane to Japan...sitting right next to her in plain view on the plane.
by - shgrdii (Sun Apr 18 20:07:52) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Thats an interesting point. But if you look closely, in volume 1, there are a bunch of other people on the plane who have swords with them, not just Uma.
by - Skaigear (Sun Apr 18 20:10:28) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

If Pai Mai can stand on Beatrix's sword and teach her how to break wood by a punch only 3 inch from her fist, he can teach her how to quickly climb through dirt.
I LOVED that...
by - theskuIl42 (Mon Apr 19 07:38:13) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

The fact that, because it's a Japanese flight, they have sword HOLDERS on the plane...

Yet another great scene in Tarantino's "movie world"...

Now Playing: Usher f/ Lil' Jon & Ludacris - "Yeah!"
Rape is no laughing matter...unless you're raping a clown!
by - K0walski 1 day ago (Mon May 3 16:25:29) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

She could probably just claim it's a souvenier.
by - DUKEJBM (Sun Apr 18 20:18:03) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

"For one thing, 100 pounds of dirt would pummel her face, killing her instantly. Secondly, scratching and crawling out of six feet of dirt would be equivalent to swimming in a pool of hardening cement"

With a movie that was this silly, what's another implausibility? People are calling the stupidity tied to old kung fu movies a homage. It seemed more of a mockery to me. Regardless, they were ridiculously cheesy and UNREALISTIC. (Standing on a sword held by Uma defying gravity, slapping a sword back into its holder from ten yards away, blasting through wood with a fist, not being able to unsheathe the sword in the trailer, etc.- and that stupidity was just the “homage” part) How can a shotgun blast to the chest that propels a woman twenty yards be shrugged off?
by - a_scobel (Sun Apr 18 20:21:12) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

ummmm it was salt rounds...not real shotgun shells. He pretty much blased a bunch of salt into her chest. Listen to the damn dialogue...he said it about 4 times.
by - lede227 (Sun Apr 18 21:57:21) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Actually it's not all that impossible. For one: That's not compacted dirt like as if she would've been buried for a few weeks to a couple months or so. If you ever try to dig a hole with a shovel the inital strike of the shovel into the ground is the most difficult because the topsoil is compacted over many many months/years. Now lets say you dug a hole, then put the dirt back into that very hole, if you try to stab the shovel into the dirt it is actually easier then a hot knife through butter because it is not compacted, so you have multiple air pockets throughout the dirt. Its more like being buried in six feet of snow, actually easier by a long shot, more closer to sand. I'd imagine burrowing through sand or snow is possible if you are six feet deep no? Its when you are under 60 feet (or even 15-20 feet)is when it is impossible. By the way you can tell how uncompacted the dirt is by the way the ground sinks in when she reaches the surface. She can easily lift herself up by using the remaining coffin to push up off of while the dirt is falling (falling dirt is easy to sit up in no?). Even punching a whole in the weak point of the coffin is understandable, if you look at Pai Mei's fingers they are actually not straight like a normal hand except for his pinky finger, watch when he holds his hands out, martial artists have a hell of a lot of calcium deposits on their fists/knuckles from breaking boards and cement blocks. Infact, those deposits make their hands stronger than cement easily. It's like having a strong metal like iron or steel even fused into the caps of your knuckles, thats how they can break so many cement blocks at one time over and over and NEVER break their hands, maybe bleed from scrapes but thats it, They can crush coconuts with their fists which is equivalent to the density of the human skull. And if you think only having 3 inches of punching room isn't enough for a powerful blow, look at Old Bruce Lee footage when he is demonstrating the force of his punch from 3 inches or less away during his demeonstration at a world martial arts competition long ago, it was in black and white, real actual footage, he hit the guy so fast and hard, i think they compared the impact to being hit by a car, it was brutal, and even with the padding the guy had the wind knocked out of him and bruised his insides :D. Anyway the guy flew off his feet into some guys holding pads like 7-10 feet away. It could've been further away even. Oh, and i've seen movies and vids you can download off the net of shaolin monks balancing themselves on their thumb or pointer finger. So balancing on a sword would be more up to the person holding the sword lol, that part was clearly for show.

But still this is just a movie and I wouldn't want to try to prove this theory :p. As for the samurai swords on planes, it is perfectly legal (least i think :D). Samurai Swords (and various other decorational/ornimental swords) and forks are actually allowed on planes though i'd imagine you'd have to keep it sheathed. Swords have always been legal on planes. But only because they are mainly for ornimental and souvinere purposes, though i'd imagine nowadays you'd have to have so sort of lock or bag to keep it in at all times. Besides unlike a knife you'd need plenty of room to swing it or even unsheath it, remember the ellie vs bride scene in Budd's trailer? Someone look this up, i know i remember reading this somewhere long ago after Sept 11th.

And the shotgun blast was rock salt, stings like hell but non-lethal at that range, just a very high knockback. I'd imagine point blank in the head would be very deadly :p. She took it in the chest and mainly the cleavage and it knocked the wind out of her.

Sorry for the spelling fellas and poor sentence formations, i am very tired atm and need to go sleepy bye.
by - GaidinBDJ (Sun Apr 18 22:36:32) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Uh, don't know where you're coming from, but you can't take any blade on a plane anymore. Not even a plastic butter knife. Period. And in the US, you haven't been able to carry a weapon on a plane since 88, including swords. You have to check those kind of things (and many airlines have policies stating you must notify them ahead of time).

As for digging out of the grave. Yea, dig your own hole theory works except for the fact that the pressure alone from the weight on top would compact it. And she couldn't break the wood anyways. The whole breaking the coffin thing isn't right out. The idea behind the so-called "One Inch Punch" is that much of the force is generated from torso, which wouldn't have been possible in a coffin. Even when Pai Mei punched holes in the wood it isn't even close. He would have cracked it in half before he punched circular fist-sized holes in it.

And I don't care how much calcium you have, your hands will never be harder than concrete, or steel, or iron (and before you say that you've seen concrete broken but fists, fine, that still doesn't mean it's harder, I can break a piece of wood with a piece of paper (Thank you Mr. Wizard!) and paper isn't harder than wood) The basics of powerful blows is keep your muscles loose during to swing, then tighten them up right before impact. That way you end up with speed, plus a solid surface.
by - james_oblivion (Sun Apr 18 23:06:04) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Dude...paper IS wood. ;)

And you know what, people? This is a f*cking kung-fu movie. Check your expectation for realism at the door.
by - speedfreek81 (Sun Apr 18 23:08:20) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

The compacted/non-compacted dirt theory is true, a geology amjor I saw the movie with told me almost the same thing. Plus, its a movie where a man can be killed by five blows around his heart, so you have to take some things with a grain of salt.

Ash to severed hand: "Who's laughing now?!?!" -Evil Dead 2
by - npinski_007 (Sun Apr 18 23:25:39) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

by the way you guys should know that delivering a punch strong enough to break wood from 3 inches away IS something that's possible.

bruce lee could do it, i'm not kidding. it was documented
by - pir-3 2 days ago (Mon May 3 06:43:26) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

bruce lee is strong and can break wood but uma thurman does it with her unmuscled arm!!!
by - Movie Freak-2 2 days ago (Mon May 3 13:03:25) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Not Uma Thurman, Beatrix Kiddo, the most deadly assassin in the world.
by - chongdawger (Mon Apr 19 06:47:41) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Good theory, but I still think the dirt would be too heavy and would kill her upon impact.

I remember watching a show about a magician attempting to dig out of a grave. The coffin that was built for him was too weak. The dirt collapsed on the coffin and killed him instantly (I think the weight of the dirt was more than 100 pounds - might even be a ton.)

But the posters who said this is just a fun movie with many outrageous scenes gave a good point. It's just a "fantasy." It's like arguing why those fighters were flying around in "Crouching Tiger..."
by - a_scobel (Tue Apr 20 22:33:16) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Ummm it's NEVER been legal to carry swords on planes. Before 9-11, you couldn't carry knives with longer than like a 1 or 2 inch blade (I think), but now you can't even take toenail clippers on them.
by - sbail1 (Tue Apr 20 22:53:18) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

I got a kick out of the shot of Uma crossing the street shortly after she dug herself out with a cloud of dust in her wake...priceless

Waffles forthwidth!
by - GaidinBDJ (Sat Apr 24 03:07:45) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

UPDATED Sat Apr 24 03:08:28

1) Paper isn't wood. It's a wood pulp that has been mashed, blended, boiled and pressed. It's like saying that oil is dinosaurs.

2) I wanna see Bruce Lee punch through 3/4' (that's what it looked like) plywood lying on his back with no room to extend his arm. Inch punches or not, it's flat out impossible.

I don't even know why I got in on this discussion. If realism isn't his thing, people wouldn't have spurted gallons upon gallons of blood out of a severed head. (btw, when you get decapitated, your body very quickly collapses into a heap)

- Edit to fix spelling
by - Guj (Sat Apr 24 04:03:59) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

lede227, what your refering to is "the one inch punch" and the participant had a chair behind him.
so all the did was got up from the chair and took one step, got the fcuk knocked outa him, and fell over the damn chair.

oh and they also demonstrated his "two finger press/push-up" bloody marrrrrrrrrvelous, RESPECT BRUCE LEE
by - james_oblivion 3 days ago (Sun May 2 02:06:49) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Dude...oil IS dinosaurs.
by - N-ya 2 days ago (Mon May 3 05:18:19) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

I havn't seen KB: Vol 2 yet but from the way everyone is talking about it sounds like a fun movie.

I think there is footage of Bruce Lee's 1 inch punch in a semi documentry called "The Deadliest Art" (in focuses on movies but has some real footage also), and A&E had a special called "The Martial Arts" about 2 or 3 years ago that has some footage as well. There both good films though so enjoy.
by - HappyDaiz 2 days ago (Mon May 3 05:40:36) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

None of it's really realistic but it's only a movie. It didn't claim to be realistic or based on a true story or anything!
Doesn't have to mean it's not a good movie.

If you're going to go watch this movie expecting it to be realistic then you should think again.
But if we are going to discuss the unrealism about it then the first thing I noticed was that Uma escaped from hospital in a big (not inconspicuous) yellow pussywagon, went to Japan and slaughtered a good few people, then came back driving the same big yellow pussywagon to kill again, only NOT to have police looking for her. Seems that there was only one policeman in Kill Bill and he was busy in the desert.
by - chocolateandshoes 2 days ago (Mon May 3 06:49:54) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Okay, is this MEANT to be realistic? Er, no.
QT made that clear when he created a whole movie around the idea that a woman can be shot in the head at point blank range and not only survive, but have a her unborn child survive as well.... Plus, are you aware that when you lose a limb, blood doesn't really spurt 30 feet in the air (a la Vol.1)??
by - rubi6047 2 days ago (Mon May 3 07:59:27) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

UPDATED Mon May 3 07:59:53

NO, IT ISN'T! NOW SHUT UP!
Heh, just kidding, but really now. It's just a movie.
by - MrBiddle 2 days ago (Mon May 3 15:13:49) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

well if a movie isn't realistic, the makers must compensate for it by giving it style, flavor and by accentuating some scenes..... and QT does that very well. even in Vol. 2 which isn't so action-oriented

take a look at many short films nowadays. they are still "movies" but a lot of them are not realistic. most are whack, but they're interestin' and can be riveting to watch

by - frankeeholly 1 day ago (Mon May 3 16:01:29) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

what is with all this "realistic" talk?? if you wanna see "complete realism" in a movie, why not just go see (semi)-documentaries and movies about people's biographies? other than those two categories, what other genre offers total "realism"?

how realistic is it to expect "realism" in a QT film??

"i need a new quote...that's my quote"
by - idiotmstr 1 day ago (Mon May 3 16:16:53) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

I agree with frankeeholly. ITS JUST A FUN, EXCITING KUNG-FU MOVIE. When has kung-fu movie NOT exagerated the truth.
by - Dextor_fenster 1 day ago (Mon May 3 17:13:31) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

the 5 point palm exploding heat technique is NOT possible, in any variation. there is a mythological kung fu move that i believe is called the 7th step of the dragon (if im wrong, *beep* you, dont be a pedantic *beep* and flame me, ok?) but it isnt real, it doesnt exist and 'your mate' doesnt know it alright? just shut up with this crap. there are preasure points sure, you can hit someon with anough compacted force in a certain point and they will pass out, but you cant make their *beep* heart explode 5 steps later. christ.
if you are going to go see a movie then leave and bitch about it for being unrealistic dont go to the movies anymore, nothing is completely realistic, that fact that is is a movie with 'actors' means by definitin it isnt real. if you want realism, just sit on a bus stop bench and watch real people in real life. if you want to watch a bloody fun enjoyable movie, got watch kill bill.

i am better than you. deal with it.
by - deafboytom 1 day ago (Mon May 3 18:01:26) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

On the documentary Tarantino says the movie is set in an alternate relaity, therefore anything goes!
by - ninjameth 1 day ago (Mon May 3 17:49:58) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

don't forget... uma is just about six feet tall... and dirt would kill her? is that true?
by - mrfilmmaker666 1 day ago (Mon May 3 18:37:15) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

I love the morons calling this movie unrealistic. Jesus, its a friggin' movie guys! I don't see you guys complaining about Terminator being unrealistic, its a movie.

Movies aren't supposed to be realistic, they are a way of escaping reality. You want realism, go watch a documentary, or better yet, get a life.
by - schweinway 1 day ago (Mon May 3 19:15:31) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

KILLJOY
by - don_butman 1 day ago (Tue May 4 02:33:01) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

I'm with Schweinway on this...

This is a fiction, folks. Relax a little. It's not always gonna be realistic.
Why should it?

It is supposed to be FUN, however. And when you endlessly debate the non-realistic aspects of the movie (that were supposed to be suspended with your disbelief back in some theater somewhere)- then it detracts from the fun.

That said, if you must pick it apart to enjoy it, then the only way to do that would be to see if it is consistant with it's own set of rules.
Ex.
1. Can people in this movie do superhuman stuff if trained? YES.
2. Has Beatrix been trained to punch her way out of something really close to her? YES.
3. In this Q&U world where people can will their legs back to life and jump onto others' swords in the middle of a duel and can make their hair do that Kung Fu "swish noise", is it also possible a character might be able to unbury themselves? YES.

So Kill Bill 2 played by it's own rules.
by - peterbrand 1 day ago (Tue May 4 00:36:17) Ignore this User | Report Abuse

Kill Bill is a "hommage" on old Kung-Fu Movies etc. And there must be an exaggeration. And it would be boring if the hero of a movie is doing just ordinary things.

And QT told us in an interview this movie don´t play in the real world -> it plays in the "movie-movie-world".
Means: If John Travolta & Samuel L. Jackson in "Pulp Fiction" would go in a cinema, "Kill Bill" would be on the screen.

bonsor
05-05-2004, 06:35 PM
what is this board. a lot of people there are really stupid.

C33
05-05-2004, 06:43 PM
and why not make a link :rolleyes:

sickbadthing
05-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Crestfallen33
and why not make a link :rolleyes:

Fuck my rotting cunt roll eyes!

C33
05-05-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by sickbadthing

Fuck my rotting cunt roll eyes! :rolleyes: