View Full Version : digital guitars!

christian zombie vampires
05-04-2004, 06:01 PM
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/05/04/digital.guitar.ap/index.html

i'm not usually one of those guys who goes into a guitar store and sees all these cool guitars and starts drooling and going 'i'm not worthy' etc but I MUST OWN ONE OF THESE IMMEDIATELY. i bet this sounds incredible.

i will report back if the music store has one tomorrow.

MstrGhost
05-04-2004, 06:46 PM
Then they'll market EH, Boss, (insert your favorite pedal brand in here) software plug-ins for onboard effects. "my plug-in sounds more vintage than yours, listen to this ibanez ts808 moded by analogueman, this flash arrived yesterday...oh, brown mod incIuded".

Judas Chongo
05-04-2004, 08:12 PM
those are such garbage. most players will tell you that.
at least if they arent some pussy..or a hippie

RopeyLopey
05-05-2004, 12:42 AM
from that article: "In the waiting room of his office at Gibson's Nashville headquarters, the walls are lined with guitars and photos of ..... Madonna..." Am I missing something out, what's the contribution of this lady to guitar music? She's everywhere, but I'd have thought she'll make to some sort of hall of fame at Gibson's headquaters.

I really would like to know what it sounds like, however being by 1,000 - 1,500 USD more expensive than standard Las Paul model, that's quite a lot.

Azael
05-05-2004, 12:59 AM
Interesting... veeeery interesting...

VegasPumpkin
05-05-2004, 02:20 AM
the line 6 digital guitar the variax, is pretty terrible. some of the sounds are alright but the guitar is made in Korea and they want a grand for it. This new Gibson one sounds interesting and at least it still has the traditional pickups in it. F.Y.I. there is not a Gibson Les Paul that retails for $1300. The standards retail at over $3000 and sell for $2000.

MstrGhost
05-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by RopeyLopey
from that article: "In the waiting room of his office at Gibson's Nashville headquarters, the walls are lined with guitars and photos of ..... Madonna..." Am I missing something out, what's the contribution of this lady to guitar music? She's everywhere, but I'd have thought she'll make to some sort of hall of fame at Gibson's headquaters.

I really would like to know what it sounds like, however being by 1,000 - 1,500 USD more expensive than standard Las Paul model, that's quite a lot.

Well, most pop acts had great musicians supporting them live that never had the spotlight on them, I would guess some pretty funky lines on the erotica tour. I got pretty impressed in at Jamiroquai concert last year even though being hardly a fan, it looked more a soul/jazz (over 15m music parts) thing to me more than a poppy disco act.

christian zombie vampires
05-05-2004, 10:14 AM
yeah i'm not paying a grand for one. i'll get one when i can get one cheap. but it has potential for bringing in fresh and un-heard of guitar playing styles, sounds and approaches. which seems downright impossible in 2004. i could also play a guitar solo that sounds like a reverse pan flute on the A string and a vocoded pipe organ sample on the B string. yay.

ProgressChrome
05-05-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by thrillhouse
i could also play a guitar solo that sounds like a reverse pan flute on the A string and a vocoded pipe organ sample on the B string. yay.

if you wanna do that, buy a midi guitar, much cheaper.

Starchildren
05-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by ProgressChrome

if you wanna do that, buy a midi guitar, much cheaper.

plus they look fuckin wicked.

http://www.starrlabs.com/images/ber472a.jpg