View Full Version : First new Who songs in 20 years

Nimrod
05-04-2004, 11:39 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/05/04/who.release.reut/index.html

First new Who songs in 20 years
Tuesday, May 4, 2004 Posted: 11:11 AM EDT (1511 GMT)

Townshend, left, and Daltrey are the remaining originals of The Who.

Music Downloads - Only $1 a Month
Get your own MP3s, movies and more. Burn your own CDs. Unlimited downloads only...
www.mp3downloadhq.com

AOL for Broadband Music - Free Trial
Free AOL for Broadband when you upgrade your Internet experience. Get everything...
www.aolforbroadband.com

$0.97 a Month - Download Unlimited MP3s
The replacement to Napster allows you to download unlimited Mp3s for only 97...
download-central.mp3u.com

Unlimited MP3 Downloads for $1 Per Month
Download hours of music, movies and software at incredible speeds. Amazing...
www.download-doctor.com

YOUR E-MAIL ALERTS
Pete Townshend

Roger Daltrey

John Entwistle

Rock

or Create your own

Manage alerts | What is this?

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Legendary rockers The Who made their name in the 1960s smashing up their equipment and singing about how they hoped they died before they got old.

Forty years on, the two surviving members of the British band that embodied youthful revolution have changed their tune.

"Why can't rock music be about growing old?," 60-year-old singer Roger Daltrey told the Times newspaper.

The Who -- considered one of the most acclaimed, most influential and loudest rock groups ever -- issued a compilation of their classic singles on Tuesday, including two new songs, the first they have released for more than 20 years.

Only two members of the original line-up remain -- Daltrey and guitarist Pete Townshend -- and Daltrey says there is nothing wrong with the band moving with the times.

"I believe Pete Townshend is the only person in rock and roll who can write about the path from middle to old age," he said.

One of the two new songs, "Old Red Wine," was penned by Townshend as a tribute to former bass player John Entwistle.

He died aged 57 in Las Vegas in June 2002 of heart attack brought on by cocaine, almost 25 years after drummer Keith Moon, famed for his rock and roll excesses, died in a 1978 accidental drug overdose.

Townshend said the new song, described by the Times as a meditation on morality, referred to Entwistle's love of claret.

Claret! -- seems a long way since the band's 1965 anthem "My Generation," which *******d the famous lyrics: "Things they do look awful c-c-cold ... I hope I die before I get old."

I_was_aborted
05-04-2004, 11:54 AM
I think the Who was the one of the more overrated bands from that time period. I was never a fan and never will be. Their singer gets on my nerves from time to time, I do not care for their pop-rock sound, I think Tommy was one of the most stupid movies ever made and I also think Pete Townshend is one of the most overrated guitarists.

Nimrod
05-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by I_was_aborted
I think the Who was the one of the more overrated bands from that time period. I was never a fan and never will be. Their singer gets on my nerves from time to time, I do not care for their pop-rock sound, I think Tommy was one of the most stupid movies ever made and I also think Pete Townshend is one of the most overrated guitarists. Tommy the movie isn't that great - it was meant to be a play.

Pete Townshend owns. Simply owns. He's more ripped off than any other guitarist.

I_was_aborted
05-04-2004, 02:12 PM
You obviously know nothing about guitar.

MstrGhost
05-04-2004, 06:47 PM
Humpft it's all about the bass.