View Full Version : my review of A Perfect Circle last night for the GMU paper


dishpan
05-03-2004, 02:08 PM
A PERFECT CONCERT
A Perfect Circle Live Review
05.02.04
Dan Gibson
Broadside Staff Writer

With the most unique stage setup I’ve ever seen, APC visited GMU as the Washington DC stop on their national tour tonight and demonstrated the epitome of an amazing art-rock performance. Combining perfect singing and instrumentation, APC somehow managed to surpass the stunning sound of the studio albums and move the audience with a fantastic live achievement. The setlist was a blend of songs from both their records, including recent hits “The Outsider” and “Weak And Powerless”, and original hit singles “Judith” and “3 Libras”. The five talented musicians mixed their skills with gorgeous set design and astounding lighting into a beautiful art-rock collage the likes of which this writer has never before witnessed. I’ve been to a LOT of rock shows, and APC just completely owned the patriot center. Billy Howerdel and Jeordie White, with their ability to sing/chant/scream with each other both in tune and in harmony, provided the integral piece of vocals and music behind Maynard Keenan’s powerfully proved lyrical acrobatics. Though Paz Lenchantin’s beautiful violin and female vocals were missed, they were made up for by the addition of James Iha’s guitar (complete with array of pedals) and keyboard. Josh Freese alternated from deep pounding drum sounds to light subtle cymbal play with everything in between impressively *******d.

Merchandise was overpriced and the opening acts, Mini Kiss and Burning Brides, left much to be desired (especially considering that previous dates on this tour were opened by prog-rock geniuses The Mars Volta). During breaks after songs, Mr. Keenan took the opportunity to speak out against censorship and other issues, even encouraging the audience to do their part and vote in the upcoming elections. “Speak your mind; everyone is free tonight. You may be afraid outside sometimes, but do not be afraid in here. Be yourself and enjoy the good music and have a good time” he stated. We did.

Isle
05-03-2004, 02:16 PM
do they EVER stop touring? it seems like every other day someone on netphoria makes a thread about "the apc show last nite"!:confused:

oh good review by the way.

zero168
05-03-2004, 03:31 PM
yeah it was awesome, i was in the seats right by iha

Netphorian Gadabout
05-03-2004, 03:47 PM
While the show was good, the review is discredited for claiming Mars Volta are "prog-rock geniuses".

guz
05-03-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Pumpkins23836
While the show was good, the review is discredited for claiming Mars Volta are "prog-rock geniuses". i'm pretty sure "the epitome of an amazing art-rock performance" discredited it enough.

patrick
05-03-2004, 07:02 PM
from a journalistic standpoint, that was an awful review


couldn't care less about the content either

shaniqua
05-03-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by patrick
from a journalistic standpoint, that was an awful review


couldn't care less about the content either

yeah. it's just a *little* biased.

cowbite
05-03-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by dishpan
A PERFECT CONCERT
heh

barden
05-05-2004, 03:46 AM
Did you intend it to be so glorified cause it was for non – netphorians who you were trying to convince to like APC instead of working on your ‘cool’ and ‘elite’ status back here?

dishpan
05-05-2004, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by ^Agony_Imp^
Did you intend it to be so glorified cause it was for non – netphorians who you were trying to convince to like APC instead of working on your ‘cool’ and ‘elite’ status back here?

exactly

El Savior
05-05-2004, 01:23 PM
i saw them last friday in worcester, ma. it was my third time seeing them... but for some strange reason i feel like i've only seen them once.

pretty boring for the most part... same fucking songs... blah blah blah

i miss tool. need more tool.

silent1
05-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by El Savior
i saw them last friday in worcester, ma. it was my third time seeing them... but for some strange reason i feel like i've only seen them once.

pretty boring for the most part... same fucking songs... blah blah blah

i miss tool. need more tool.

lol. i saw them too. couldn't agree more. well in detroit not massachoosets..but whatever.

patrick
05-05-2004, 06:41 PM
after having read it for a second time, i can definitely say that it's one of the worst reviews ever posted on netphoria, if not the internet. how you're being published in "the broadside" is beyond me

dishpan
05-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by patrick
after having read it for a second time, i can definitely say that it's one of the worst reviews ever posted on netphoria, if not the internet.

so how about giving me some constructive feedback? what needs improvement?

dishpan
05-05-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by patrick
how you're being published in "the broadside" is beyond me

http://www.broadsideonline.com/article.php?date=05-03-2004&section=style&article=perfect_circle.txt

sawdust restaurants
05-06-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by shaunna
yeah. it's just a *little* biased.

Reviews are supposed to be biased. Their entire point is to express an opinion. That's not the problem, really; the problem is that it's not very well written, and as a piece of journalism it's poorly conceived and has little to no actual reporting.

(To the author: I mean that in the nicest way possible. Keep at it.)