View Full Version : i saw some fucking great music last night

cap'n jazz
05-03-2004, 09:20 AM
OMG. Fennesz, Animal Collective, Dabrye, Explosions In The Sky and Four Tet. HERE IS A REVIEW THING

When we got there we found it was over three floors of the venue, so I planned who I wanted to see then went upstairs for Fennesz who was on first. When he came onstage and took off his jacket, Jack and I sat on the floor in front of the stage, next to the smallest cutest Japanese people (one of whom kept writing in a little notebook, awww). Never before have I ever felt like so weird listening to music - we were having ourselves a light mushroom trip, and it was like the sound was going through me. It was amazing, all these rhythms interlocking but remaining completely independent of each other, and little pieces of melody floating into the mix every so often. At one point, he abandoned his iBook for his guitar, which he sampled live and fucked around with. At another point, he made probably the most abrasive and obnoxious sound I have ever heard. I'm having some real trouble finding the words to describe his set here. After around 40 minutes he faded out and closed his iBook, to rapturous applause from us all sitting cross-legged in front of him. Some guy went onstage and shook his hand and talked to him, so when he was gone I went up and shook his hand. I shook Fennesz' hand! OMG. Dave Pajo one day, Christian Fennesz the next.

After that, Jack and I had a funny conversation about our minds being blown and about sound going through us, then went downstairs to catch Animal Collective. Three skinny guys came on, one of whom was doing some of kind of comedy Kurt Cobain disguise, with a blonde wig and a cardigan. He proceeded to kneel on the floor with a drum machine for the first song, after which he pounded a tom at the front of the stage. Their set was a bit monotonous to start with, kind of droning boring noises with a constant kick drum, but it soon escalated into this amazing sound with the little one singing through a delay pedal and some crazy stuff. I think at one point he was singing "I just called... to say.... I love you..." with his neat Brooklyn accent. They're from Brooklyn, right? Hiyooo. At the climax of the set, the two guitarists put down their guitars and just danced as the middle guy played the tom. It was neat. I shook the lanky guitarist's hand afterwards.

After that we took a trip upstairs to catch the end of Dabrye's set. He seemed to be having some serious problems with his kit, so it kind of ended abruptly, which was a huge shame. He was cranking out this hilariously funky glitch-hop (I think I just coined a phrase), and the whole place was getting their freak on. That was great, but then his main unit thingy seemed to malfunction or whatever and that was him done.

Back downstairs we went, and waited for EITS to come on. When they eventually did, it was fucking annoying because all these people kept talking during the quiet bits. I was pretty close to telling folk just to shut the fuck up because I don't want to hear you telling your mate that he'll like Four Tet, guy can decide for himself. EITS are great to watch. It's kind of hypnotic seeing them all getting into their groove and swaying around. The set highlight for me was Memorial (my favourite track off of TEINACDP LOLOL) and it was really loud and they were like totally hitting their guitars and like, totally. They ended with The Only Moment We Were Alone, which was absolutely annihilating. Their set was so CrAzY that Joe was moved to buy a t-shirt. I unfortunately don't have the money for that shit.

Mr. Kieran Hebden, AKA Four Tet, stumbled on with a backpack on, drinking a not-very-hardcore can of Sprite, and opened his laptops. I was looking forward to his set - Rounds is one of my favourite albums of recent times. He played a few tracks from it, like As Serious As Your Life, the bassline of which was fucking loud and deadly, and did his whole glitchy thing with his sampler. It was great for about 2/3 of his set, everyone was dancing and he was playing some truly amazing music. He seems to improvise a lot, and sometimes it kind of falls flat on it's face but for the most part it works well and people don't stop dancing for too long. We were standing right next to the speaker though, and for the last third of his set he was doing mainly this really monotonous drum and bass sounding stuff. That was annoying because he started off absolutely brilliant. I guess he could have done with chilling out for a song to get some kind of balance instead of a constant barrage of REALLY FUCKING LOUD DRUMS THAT SHAKE YOUR INSIDES UNTIL YOU FEEL SLIGHTLY ILL.

In conclusion, Fennesz is god. Bye!

sppunk
05-03-2004, 10:50 AM
The guys from Explosions in the Sky are super cool and down to earth. They make amazing music as well.

ZackZ
05-03-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by sppunk
The guys from Explosions in the Sky are super cool and down to earth. They make amazing music as well.

I agree. Amazingly bad music.

cap'n jazz
05-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by ZackZ

I agree. Amazingly bad music.

:rolleyes:

ZackZ
05-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Sean Casey

It's no worse than your typical Thom Yorke "solo."

Slightly better than a Thom Yorke solo.

Irrelevant
05-03-2004, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by cap'n jazz
glitch-hop (I think I just coined a phrase)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=%22glitch+hop%22

Irrelevant
05-03-2004, 02:12 PM
oh, and i'm jealous. but i did see deerhoof the other night.

sarasvati
05-03-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ

I agree. Amazingly good music.

Fixed.

cap'n jazz
05-03-2004, 02:21 PM
Haha. Glitch-hop.

I just ran a quick search to see if Deerhoof were playing here any time soon and it fucking turns out I missed them in Glasgow on the 29th of March. Shit.

strange_one
05-03-2004, 09:39 PM
<font color=33FFFF> I hate you jazz</font>

killed radio star
05-03-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by cap'n jazz
In conclusion, Fennesz is god. Bye!

yeah pretty much.