View Full Version : coachella 2004 + me

Boycott Graceland
05-03-2004, 06:57 AM
to summarize and spoil, i have never been so hot nor been so sick of dyed black hair and ironic t-shirts in my entire life. but there was some really, really great music as well.

p.s. it's 4am and i just drove for about 5 hours. so keep that in mind.

let's start out by saying it was fucking hot. incredibly fucking hot, both days. sun beating down, not a cloud in the sky, weather report on the news said it was around 105 at its hottest. you pretty much got out of your car and you turned in to a sweaty mess, i don't care who you are. oddly enough, you kind of got used to it after a while. it was almost nice sweating so much, because no matter how much water you drank, you never had to pee.

the first band to play the main stage was kind of neat. they were called "the section quartet" and they played a bunch of radiohead and jeff buckley covers as a string quartet.

i can't remember what i did for the next 3 hours or so, but i eventually wound up at Q & not U in order to get a decent spot for beck. Q & not U were kind of interesting at first - a definite scenester band. they babbled about how bush sucks, and their songs got more and more repetative, thus my interest began to fail.

beck played solo. he came on after it seemed like his roadies took an excruciatingly long time to set up for a guy who was just going to play an acoustic guitar. when he started playing, his guitar kept going out of tune due to the heat. he asked, "are there any goths in the house? yes? love to the goths. you gotta admire someone who is goth in this temperature." he said that didn't make up a setlist and would take requests. he wound up playing a couple old songs, a big star cover and a kinks cover. he also brought out a gameboy that he had gutted and turned into a nintendo-voiced drum machine, but he was having technical issues with it and he eventually abandoned it. his set was decent, but the crowd was unbearably hot at this point, and the thumping house music from the stage next door did not help much.

from there i got some food and then saw the last song deathcab for cutie played, "transatlanticism." they were all in white jumpsuits. i wish i'd been able to see more of their set.

after deathcab came the pixies. it seemed like everyone who came to coachella watched this set. it was pretty incredible to turn around and see the miles of people behind you watching this band. kim was the highlight of them for me. she seemed kind of nervous, but smiled for the entire set. kind of a "holy crap" smile. she even smoked a cigarette while still playing the bass at full steam during vamos. they played all the hits, it seemed (setlist here (http://flet.ch/pixies/?show_id=15)). i'm still glad i got to see them live.

radiohead was also very good. you could tell thom was a little out of it, either loopy on meds or booze. he forgot the words a few times, but didn't really seem to beat himself up over it too much. it was almost the exact same setlist they played the last time they were in southern california, minus "talk show host" and adding "creep" and "planet telex" at the end.

i'll post more later. right now, i must pass out.

Boycott Graceland
05-03-2004, 07:11 AM
p.p.s. - sunday was better than saturday. BELIEVE IT.

eyesbomb
05-03-2004, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Boycott Graceland
p.p.s. - sunday was better than saturday. BELIEVE IT.

ELABORATE IT.

spring
05-03-2004, 09:02 PM
BUMP

how about sunday??

distance
05-04-2004, 12:28 AM
i was there. i basically had a terrible time. there were way too many schedule conflicts between what i wanted to see.
the 105 degree heat didn't agree with me too much either.

disslunker
05-04-2004, 12:53 AM
oh god. coachella, despite the insane heat/sun and the amount of people, was fucking amazing.

Saturday:

Beck was amazing. fully acoustic set. they put him in the smallest fucking tent though, so a bunch of people (myself *******d) tore down parts of the tent so the gigantic crowd could see. the entire tent was filled and there was a huge group gathering outside of it trying to see in, so we helped.

highlight = he played "everybody's gotta learn sometime". he also invited about 4 fans onstage to play tamborines/macaracas. one of them was a drunk girl who got ahold of a mic and started yelling about her 'being a rockstar' and about how 'everyone [in the crowd' wishes they were up there'. beck said he didn't know what the hell she was saying but he was 'felling it'. also, he brought out a gameboy that he modified to play music but it was a little buggy so he tried it for like 2 minutes and then put it away. it would be rad if he found out how to use it well.

trail of dead were good. so were sparta i guess. i was kinda far from the mainstage but they sounded alright.

pixies. wow. yes everyone on earth showed up for the pixies, and they came on right as the sun was beginning to go down. i'm not a huge hardcore pixies fan, so they played a few songs they i've either never heard or heard once or twice. bone machine was the first song. then they went on a streak where they played every song i wanted to hear, minus mr. grieves.

highlight: watching kim deal sing. god she is so cool. she smoked a cigarette , like boycott said. where is my mind was fucking magiacl. the ENTIRE crowd sang the 'ooh, ooooh' parts with kim as the sun was almost down. it was really pretty and gave me chills. perfect.

radiohead. first time ive ever seen radiohead and aside from the 3 hail to the theif songs i dislike, and the fact that they didn't play 'talk show host', 'fake plastic trees' or 'motion picture soundtrack', the setlist was perfect. god. the video they played was very very cool too. they mounted remote controlled cameras in various places on stage. thom did his crazy spastic dance multiple times. jonny played drums on there there, the opener. STREET SPIRIT!!!! i nearly fucking died. then they played an encore which consisted of: You and Whose Army?, planet telex, creep and everything in its right place.

highlight: the camera mounted on the piano was right to thoms face, and as he sang you and whose army, he made odd faces into it and it was fucking great.

sunday:

okay broken social scene made me want to die i loved it so much.
the girl who sings (i dont remember her name) is adorable and amazing. 'anthem' gave me chills. the whole set was great. i was hoping they'd play 'looks just like the sun' and 'lovers spit' but thats okay. one of the guitarists proposed to his girlfriend of 8 and a half years onstage and she said yes!!!

when they were done playing this girl infront of me asked me about the smasing pumpkins stuff i had written on my bag.

(note: my bag is from 9th grade/5 years ago, and does not represent my current taste of music. i felt like a fucking dork walking around with this bag that has like endless writing in white out on it about reel big fish and green day and NIN and stuff)

anyway, she shows me her MULTIPLE awesome sp tattoos. me and ashley were freaking out so i decide to ask 'hey do you go on netphoria?' the answer is yes. she is ava transformer. the gaddrow was right behind me as well, and i think she mentioned someone else but i don't remember?

that was neato meeting all of you. my girlfriend was like 'JESUS CHRIST I CAN NEVER ESCAPE NETPHORIA HUH' (she thinks i'm a giant dork for coming to netphoria as much as i do.) those tattoos were great.

bright eyes were okay, thursday was tolerable i guess. a bunch of other bands were pretty good.

AIR was great. i was hoping they'd play "brake song", "electronic performers" or "playground love" but they didnt. it was still fun to watch them attempt to speak english.

"i think that we have good time tonight."

"it is night and now is time to dance."

flaming lips.

i have never seen a better show than the one flaming lips put on. i had planned on leaving 20 mins early to catch mogwai at a different stage. the flaming lips were taking SO long to set up, wayne kept coming out and saying 'hold on guys, just a little more!', '(person in the band) just has to put on the elephant suit and then we can start!'. it was funny. they set up a giant screen to play video stuff on. they had a mounted camera on the microphone which was pointed at the video screen which was playing what the camera was filming...so the effect was a multicolored mirror-in-mirror type deal, with waynes face repeated millions of times. it was cool.

so they start the show by saying 'we're going to try something thats never happened at coachella before..so if i don't survive know that i love you.' he then goes to the side of the stage where people are inflating what looks like a giant plastic bag. slowly we see that its a ball about 12' in diameter. another band member takes the mic and says 'its been waynes dream....for a few years now. he's going to get into this giant bubble...and hes going to walk on the crowd. so you guys just keep him up ok?'

....so he gets into the bubble and the stage hands push him off the stage.... AND HE WALKS ACROSS THE LITERALLY THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE IN THE CROWD WHILE THE BAND PLAYS MUSIC. it was so fuckign cool. he does that for a few minutes then gets back on stage and thanks us for making his dream come true.he then tells us to tell everyone else that he descending in a giant bubble from outer space, because he had a dream two weeks ago that he showed up at coachella in a giant bubble from space. he also said that people would believe it if we told them because it was The Flaming Lips. then they launch into Race For The Prize, with about 15 people on stage in various costumes shining giant flashlights into the crowd. because of the fog from the fog machines / fog hoses it looked like beams of light all over the damn place. about 50 giant balloon balls fly off the stage into the audience. video is playing clips from the race for the prize music video and video of the audience/stage. wayne is spinning an extension cord with one of those type of orange lights with the cage around the bulb that you use to fix cars and shit? anyway, it also has like 6' silver streamers and he's spinning it around his head like a lasso. it was a fucking sight i'll tell you that. then i have to leave because i can't miss mogwai now can i. i didnt want to leave. i REALLY didn't want to i was having such a good time.

mogwai was a fucking BORE after what i just witnessed. i stayed for two songs and i left cause i just couldn't handle it.

by time i made it back to the lips, it was over.

but i will always have my memories of the giant space bubble.

okay i'm tired of typing...

ummm the cure were good too.

and the giant tesla coil shooting electricity all over the damn place was rad as well.

k thxbey

Boycott Graceland
05-04-2004, 04:22 AM
disslunker: neat.

here's what i recall from sunday.

we really, really didn't want a repeat of saturday, i.e. baking in the 105 degree weather for 12 hours again. so we stayed at the hotel until noon, then drove about a half hour to palm springs and poked around at the various AIR CONDITIONED shops for a while.

we got to coachella about 20 minutes before belle and sebastian were to come on. we plopped down in front of the main stage and waited for whatever mediocre screamo band to finish (thursday, i think). when they were done, there was a mass-exodus of scene kids and we moved way, way up to about 20 feet or so from the stage. B+S hit the stage, and they were fucking incredible. they opened with "i fought in a war," their subtle acknowledgement of how coachella was basically "GET BUSH OUT OF OFFICE FEST 2004." they breathed new life in to the DCW songs, which was something i never thought they'd be able to do. "step in to my office, baby" was fucking nuts! i was expecting them to be somewhat quiet and laidback, especially considering the temperature. but they really rocked out. they played "judy and the dream of horses," too. i recorded the first 30 seconds of their set on my sister's digital camera. i might host it on my site for a little while if there's any interest.

after this, we went over to bright eyes. we missed the first two or three songs. a friend who saw them said they were two new tracks and "i don't know when but a day's gonna come." we got there just in time for "neely o'hara." so fucking good. anyone who does not appreciate this band live does not have a soul. conor kept his anti-bush sentiments within his songs. his set was comprised of mainly new songs, along with "lover i don't have to love," "bowl of oranges" and "the calender hung itself."

the flaming lips. holy god. this was hands down the best performance of the entire festival. there's no way to describe how good their set was, and how good it made me feel inside, so i won't bother. at the end of their set, wayne said, "okay. normally you sing happy birthday to someone to celebrate the anniversary of their birth. but we're going to do something a little different here tonight. we're going to sing happy birthday to someone who isn't born yet. some good friends of ours are having a baby in less than three weeks. and we're going to sing this to them. so we're going to sing this for beck and melissa and their new baby." and then 50,000 people sang "happy birthday" to beck's unborn baby.

we left after that. there was just no way anything could top it.

Boycott Graceland
05-04-2004, 04:53 AM
also, my friend ran in to jeff tweedy - yeah, wilco's jeff tweedy - at the show.

ReadMusic
05-05-2004, 03:25 PM
OMG. I JUST GOT BACK HOME. Went to Vegas after Coachella, then finally drove back to Dallas.

Highlights:
Flaming Lips (just WOW, as everyone has said).
Bright Eyes (Amazing)
Junior Senior (Even though I only saw a few songs)
Le Tigre (Holy cow, I never danced so much)

I loved Sunday a lot more than Saturday.

OMG THE GUY FROM BROKEN SOCIAL SCENE PROPOSING! I ALMOST started crying.

Best weekend ever. Flaming Lips were just orgasmic. From the sun costume to the bubble to the big green balloon with the small red ones to all the costumes. I loved it so much. I have pics that I'll probably post later if anyone wants to see.

sledge
05-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by disslunker

trail of dead were good.

Did they play any new songs?

Well thanks for all the reviews guys. I really wish I could have been their. It sounded fantastic despite the heat, and it seems like TFL's set was to die for.

guz
05-05-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by sledge
Did they play any new songs? yes. i didn't stick around too long, and i don't recall if they mentioned any names...but the second song they played was a new one...and it wasn't so great.

/not much info

guz
05-05-2004, 03:51 PM

eyesbomb
05-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by guz

pic sucks, but the band is great

how was the set ?
are they still tight as fuck ?

new songs ?

guz
05-05-2004, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by eyesbomb
pic sucks, but the band is great

how was the set ?
are they still tight as fuck ?

new songs ? ya, that was w/ zoom and all. i was so far back!

set time, probably around an hour. i don't have my schedule on me, and like i said, i didn't stick around.

the only song i remember was 'another morning stoner'...and they played it pretty well....pretty tight, ya. good show, but there was just too much to see, couldn't stay.

eyesbomb
05-05-2004, 04:12 PM
:(

guz
05-05-2004, 04:13 PM
here's a cropped/larger version of the pic:

eyesbomb
05-05-2004, 04:27 PM
still sucks, but thank you

eyesbomb
05-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Pixies' Coachella set
http://lostchild02.free.fr/

Radiohead's one
http://lostchildisback.free.fr/

ReadMusic
05-05-2004, 05:29 PM
Any other sets?

sppunk
05-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Better Pixies' set:

http://ftso.org/pixies/

eyesbomb
05-05-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by sppunk
Better Pixies' set:

http://ftso.org/pixies/

funny, 'cause it's the same fucking rip, idiot

sppunk
05-05-2004, 05:36 PM

funny, 'cause it's the same fucking rip, idiot

Yes, but it's not that bullshit "we'll say it's a .jpg but it's a .mp3 so you have to change it yourself."

eyesbomb
05-05-2004, 05:37 PM

Yes, but it's not that bullshit "we'll say it's a .jpg but it's a .mp3 so you have to change it yourself."

:rofl:

christ, you're an idiot

sppunk
05-05-2004, 05:38 PM

christ, you're an idiot

Jesus, you reply quickly. OK, enjoy the files that, after downloaded, try to open up in Photoshop. I'll enjoy my English site. Besides, the dl's are much quicker off it anyway.

eyesbomb
05-05-2004, 05:39 PM

Jesus, you reply quickly. OK, enjoy the files that, after downloaded, try to open up in Photoshop. I'll enjoy my English site. Besides, the dl's are much quicker off it anyway.

which is absolutely false since it goes over the 100k/s on the french site, only 30 max on the english one

no, seriously, ever thought of suicide ?

sppunk
05-05-2004, 05:46 PM

which is absolutely false since it goes over the 100k/s on the french site, only 30 max on the english one

I just noticed that site is slow. Last night it was at 330 k/s.

eyesbomb
05-05-2004, 05:55 PM

I just noticed that site is slow. Last night it was at 330 k/s.

man, S U I C I D E !

eyesbomb
05-05-2004, 06:29 PM
pictures and VIDEO
http://www.parasitesex.com/pixies

sledge
05-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by guz
yes. i didn't stick around too long, and i don't recall if they mentioned any names...but the second song they played was a new one...and it wasn't so great.

/not much info

Cool, I should head on over to the ToD forum to see if a boot surfaced.

Quiet CD
05-05-2004, 09:10 PM
coachella was fucking awesome...

it was really damn hot, insanely hot in fact...

i didn't get to see everyone i wanted to see, i missed muse which i feel stupid for, but ill get to see them in a much better setting for a much longer show this week...

despite some things i've read, i thought radiohead's set was one of the best i've seen from them, some more set variations would have been nice, but the band played so tightly, johnny is undoubtedly one of the most amazing musicians on the planet.

Saw section quartet (they were great, lots of radiohead covers, and they played i believe in a thing called love, actually made the song bareable)... the sounds (pretty typical, but i loved their style of music)... hieroglypichs were great as usual, although del didn't look very healthy... didn't make it to beck, cause it was so fucking hot and it was jam packed by the time i got there... death cab was pretty good (woiuld have loved to seen a postal service performance instead)... sparta had their heart in the right place, but they just arent that good (kept thinking to myself damn the mars volta are so much better)... pixies were great, i give any band credit for being gone for that long and playing so hard after reuniting (much more impresive than the cure), and radiohead concluded my night i couldn't handle any more i just wanted to sleep

sunday i didn't arrive til like 4 something, my friends and i were totally content swimming and having fun outside of the polo grounds, we walked over a little late (holy shit i never thought i was going to make it, i never thought heat would be so intense)... went to see cursive, not bad at all, energetic, their cellist was the most amazing... bright eyes were fucking fantastic (they jammed really really well, more musicians the better)... caught some of air (pretty nice, i liked their vibe, very positive)... flaming lips were by far the most impressive band that i saw, so much positive energy and good messages, never seen so many people smiling at once.... the cure... good but pretty formulated, felt like i was listening to a recording, most people started to fall asleep, i got awesome pictures of the crowd though so it was a pay off.

awesome weekend, went to magic mountain on monday before driving another 250 miles home

TiaraGurl
05-05-2004, 09:32 PM
It was SO hot I literally felt like my brain was cooking in my head. I must have drank about 25 waters.

I feel that now I have seen the pixies I can die. Just before their set I was feeling so ill and wilted but then someone threw a big bucket of water over the crowd. (we were about 6 layers of people back from the front of the far left side) Kim was smiling the whole time as someone said. It soundedlike the records in the best possible way.

Radiohead was cool although I had seen them last fall and it was more orless the same.

Saw Bright Eyes-Nick Zinner from the yeah Yeah Yeahs was playing guitar with the band.

I saw Rick Rubin and Vincnet Gallo walking around And Jared leto who clearly has lost his mind he was wearing like black pants with chains coming off them and old school air jordans.

Oh and 3 days before Coachella I sawTom Morello at Baja Fresh on sunset. He was cool. I also saw Billie Joe from green day he is tiny. The hyatt west hollywood is an ikea furnished overpriced nightmare.

The cure were okay but I feel like since there have been so many line up changes even though it is the same band?

the hippie vegan food from sava was okay.

ReadMusic
05-05-2004, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by TiaraGurl
Oh and 3 days before Coachella I sawTom Morello at Baja Fresh on sunset.

Darn, I was one day too late. I went there on Thursday.

During Kool Keith, Conor Oberst was on the side of the stage watching him. Ben Kweller also swung by real quick, I think just to talk to Conor though.

disslunker
05-06-2004, 03:32 AM
Originally posted by guz
ya, that was w/ zoom and all. i was so far back!

set time, probably around an hour. i don't have my schedule on me, and like i said, i didn't stick around.

the only song i remember was 'another morning stoner'...and they played it pretty well....pretty tight, ya. good show, but there was just too much to see, couldn't stay.

they played 'intelligence' if i remember the title correctly...it was some song off that madonna EP.

The Gaddrow
05-06-2004, 10:09 AM
Oh Jesus fuck, Eve was there. :(

Yeah, I was working on a review, but it got long and annoying, so I gave up, but now I want to do it over again. I likely won't finish it till Saturday, when no one will care, but yeah.

I really can't believe you were there, Eve. It would have been nice to see you. :(

ChristHimself!
05-06-2004, 10:20 AM
I am one jealous motherfucker.

ReadMusic
05-06-2004, 10:35 AM
Wayne in the bubble.

ReadMusic
05-06-2004, 10:35 AM
The bubble + balloons.

ReadMusic
05-06-2004, 10:37 AM
Someone from Broken Social Scene proposing to his girlfriend...

Tear jerking, really.

TiaraGurl
05-06-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by The Gaddrow

I really can't believe you were there, Eve. It would have been nice to see you. :(

Dude I totally had your number but my phone died and it was so hot I was miserbale for 3/4 of the first day.

vanilla
05-07-2004, 03:14 PM
okay, got back last night from vacation.

coachella was so fucking hot. especially being from MN, and the temp here is like 60 degrees now.

saturday: got there when the doors opened at 11am. first listened to the string quartet. then it was howie day, which was good. then The Stills, who played an enthusiastic set, compared to the one i saw in Mpls a few months ago. then Trail Of Dead, they were alright. i was a little dissapointed because they weren't up to par with the other shows i've seen. they even commented that they were a little rusty and hadn't played a show in 5 months. after that it was Beck, but the crowd was too huge and we couldn't see or hear him (stupid rave tent!).
Sparta, layed on the grass the entire set and just listened. i was really tired, and trying to rest before the Pixies.
Pixies- better than i imagined! they were so good. kim was awesome, and yes smiling like everyone else noticed.
Radiohead- so good. i've never seen them before so i was impressed.
saturday was the better day for music, in my opinion, even tho the sun and heat were almost unberable. like everyone else said i drank so much water and didn't pee all day long.

sunday's highlight was The Flaming Lips! i will never forget the bubble the rest of my life. i think it was even hotter on sunday, but we didn't arrive until later in the afternoon.

okay, that's my little review. overall i had a really good time. :)