View Full Version : computer question:

dusty
05-01-2004, 07:58 PM
easy one.
i currently have a 2 gig HD in my computer. if i install a reformatted 5 gig HD, then hook up the 2 gig as a slave, then transfer everything from the 2 gig onto the 5 gig while in dos, then remove the 2 gig and configure the 5 gig as the primary HD, how much, if anything, will i lose?
i'm mainly concerned about my internet drivers, seeing as i no longer have the disk. i also want to be sure that all my internet configurations remain intact. it's important to me.
so.... what will i lose?

Fall Down Blue
05-01-2004, 07:59 PM
you will lose your dignity.

hereisnowhy
05-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Why would you lose anything if it's a complete transfer?

dusty
05-01-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by hereisnowhy
Why would you lose anything if it's a complete transfer? i don't know. one of my friends was trying to tell me that there would be some files lost and that i would have to reinstall some things.
i didn't think he was right.

Rider
05-01-2004, 10:08 PM
you wont lose anything the only thing you have to is make sure the new drive is set up a system disk when format it and partition it.

skippy
05-01-2004, 10:41 PM
You are so fucked.

dusty
05-01-2004, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Mark LeDrew
You are so fucked. ha!

Amazing Disgrace
05-01-2004, 11:46 PM
let me get this straight.. the 5 gig drive boots to dos only, and the 2 gig drive goes into windows? if so you wont be able to do an exact copy of the 2 gig drive unless you're using a program like norton ghost to image it. you cant just copy progams and windows system files from one drive to another and expect everything to work... because there are tons of hidden system files etc you wont be able to copy.....

im hope thats what you're asking

dusty
05-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Amazing Disgrace
let me get this straight.. the 5 gig drive boots to dos only, and the 2 gig drive goes into windows? no, that's not what i meant. sorry for any confusion. i just meant that i planned on transfering the files from HD1 to HD2 while *in* dos. i shouldn't have even said that part, probably :blush:

Amazing Disgrace
05-02-2004, 12:14 AM
can you download your isps software from their webpage? if so, just download the setup file and copy it to the new drive. oh, and another thing about copying files from dos. is that dos doesnt like windows long file names. lets say you have an mp3 named "i like to eat tacos all night long.mp3" in dos its going to look like I_LIKE_T~.MP3, and when you copy, thats what it will look like in windows on the other drive after you copy it. it would be easier just to copy the files in windows.

dusty
05-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Amazing Disgrace
can you download your isps software from their webpage? if so, just download the setup file and copy it to the new drive. oh, and another thing about copying files from dos. is that dos doesnt like windows long file names. lets say you have an mp3 named "i like to eat tacos all night long.mp3" in dos its going to look like I_LIKE_T~.MP3, and when you copy, thats what it will look like in windows on the other drive after you copy it. it would be easier just to copy the files in windows. that's why i'm afraid of my internet stuff getting lost- i can't download any of it online... it isn't impossible for me to get a hold of the disk and do anything, but it's going to be a bitch. i just hope the new hard drive is more accepting of the drivers than the one i'm using now.
i didn't know that about the filenames, though. i'll have to keep that in mind. maybe i'll just do it all from windows, like you suggested.

DeviousJ
05-02-2004, 11:34 AM
I don't think it will work, because there are some bits of the disk which aren't in files, like the MBR which is what actually lets you boot the disk. Why do you want to copy it all over anyway? Why not hook up the 5GB one as the slave?

Rima
05-02-2004, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by dusty
i currently have a 2 gig HD in my computer. if i install a reformatted 5 gig HD

Sorry, I can't help you on your question, but, by chance, does your computer look anything like Peggy Hill's from King Of The Hill?

:p