View Full Version : Has anyone taped at the historic state theater in minneapolis?

palidor
11-10-2002, 12:18 AM
I've never even seen a show there.. so I was curious about how strict they are about taping & such.

I've got 5th row sigur ros tickets for this tuesday. On a side note, is there an opening act for sigur ros on this tour? and how long are the sets?

beef curtains
11-10-2002, 04:38 AM
no i haven't but thanks for asking!

Snail*
11-11-2002, 04:24 PM
I taped Remy Zero and Travis awhile back with no problems - I believe I was in row 14 on the aisle. It's a really nice place, kind of along the lines of the Orpheum.

sarasvati
11-11-2002, 05:53 PM
The opening act for Sigur Ros is this guy who sings the same lyrics over and over again, who plays the acoustic guitar, and sometimes painfully badly...maybe I'm being too harsh ;) Some Icelandic guy....who shaunna described as "the biggest, gayest most emo-est guy ever" ... heh. I think that he has a website though...but I forget his name.

sarasvati
11-11-2002, 05:54 PM
btw, I think Sigur Ros is open taping...

shaniqua
11-11-2002, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by sarasvati
The opening act for Sigur Ros is this guy who sings the same lyrics over and over again, who plays the acoustic guitar, and sometimes painfully badly...maybe I'm being too harsh ;) Some Icelandic guy....who shaunna described as "the biggest, gayest most emo-est guy ever" ... heh. I think that he has a website though...but I forget his name.

EVEN BIG BOYS CRY WHEN THEIR BROTHERS DIE!

sarasvati
11-11-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by pale_princess

EVEN BIG BOYS CRY WHEN THEIR BROTHERS DIE!

hahahahha :D

eyeofmourning
11-11-2002, 11:08 PM
lol @ pale princess! i think the guy opening for sigur ros is siggi arman or something like that. and yeah he is pretty much as bad as everyone has said. he does have some help from some of the members of sigur ros on a couple of songs. in atlanta the show was supposed to start at 8:30 but i believe this guy started playing around 8:00.

palidor
11-12-2002, 05:10 AM
haha so i shouldnt bother tapin the opening act?

Dawn2Dusk
11-12-2002, 06:31 AM
Originally posted by palidor
haha so i shouldnt bother tapin the opening act?

of course you should!! siggi ármann rules! :D
so please tape!

palidor
11-12-2002, 02:26 PM
i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not :p

any idea how long sigur ros' set is?

Dawn2Dusk
11-12-2002, 03:03 PM
i can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not :p

any idea how long sigur ros' set is?

haha! i'm not sarcastic!!
sigur ros' set is about 90-100min!

good luck taping!

palidor
11-12-2002, 03:32 PM
do they do encores or what? i want to know if i have to switch discs in the middle of a song or not :-/

Jesse Miller
11-12-2002, 04:10 PM
I've never even seen a show there.. so I was curious about how strict they are about taping & such.

I taped Tom Waits there a few years back on the Get Behind The Mule tour. The most their security checks is for a weapon. Keep your shiznat concealed and you should be alright.
Remember, it's a *theatre* first, rather then a music club...

palidor
11-12-2002, 04:33 PM
i'm still somewhat of a rookie
think it would be better to record with the bass filter off?

and on a sharp 722 MD, what do you think a safe level would be? i'm worried about recording too quietly cause i dont think the show will be too loud

Crono
11-12-2002, 04:53 PM
I don't think they've been doing encores. I think they've been doing "curtain calls." Anyway, that http://www.sigur-ros.co.uk that I PMed you about has stuff about it for sure. And i think they've been relatively loud.

palidor
11-12-2002, 05:03 PM
so lvl 7 with bass-roll-off should be cool?

Crono
11-12-2002, 07:15 PM
so lvl 7 with bass-roll-off should be cool?

if you're asking me, I'd say I don't know. My layman's adivce is to remember that they do have a lot of "shreechy" (according to parents) sounds in their music.

Day dreaming Of Darcy
11-12-2002, 09:53 PM
If possible, I'd recommend you run your mics line in with the bass roll-off. That'll cut your bass roll-off in half. Only do that if you can get good levels. If not, I would still go mic in with bass roll-off. It'll cut out most of the rumbling and ********** noise of the room, i.e. fans, airconditioners, etc. I've recorded purely acoustic stuff with a bass roll-off filter and have been pleased. If there isn't a lot of energy in those lower freq's, you really aren't cutting out much.

pzane

palidor
11-13-2002, 02:34 AM
well i ran them mic in w/bass roll off, recorded at lvl 7, and it turned out EXCELLENT. :D

by far my best recording