View Full Version : Which pitchfork writer do you have a crush on?

spa ced
04-29-2004, 12:16 AM
I have a crush on Brent DiCrescenzo. :blush:

It all started when I first read his review of Hum's Downward Is Heavenward.

Here it is in it's entirety:

To put it in NBA terms, Hum heavily favor The Sonics. These four Champaign, Illinois boys string effects pedals together like a charm bracelet, and their amp stack must resemble the mountain of crates in the closing shot of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Layers and layers of guitars swarm like hornets and harriers around your head, as the occasional intricate detail bursts out as if one buzzed right by your ear. A listen to Downward Is Heavenward actually scrubs off a layer of skin, yet Hum still manage to infuse grace and control into their skyward swirl.

The songs tend to run 5+ minutes and the lyrics read like obtuse love poetry an aerospace engineering student writes on little notes to the cute girl in the back of the classroom. Despite these two burdens, Hum still suck the listener into their feedback-and-riff maw here, creating their best output yet. The next few months could have these four geeky emo kids Siamese dreaming of mainstream success.

-Brent DiCrescenzo, February, 1998

:swoon:

strange_one
04-29-2004, 01:27 AM
<font color=33FFFF> I don't have a crush on any of them, but I enjoy Eric Carr's work</font>

Mayfuck
04-29-2004, 01:31 AM
I get my recommendations mostly from Matt LeMay. He's a good guy.

But I have a crush on Dominique Leone. That guy is a fucking music encyclopedia. Plus he always gives straight up reviews, never writing gimmicky reviews that occasionally pop up on Pitchfork.

Mayfuck
04-29-2004, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
I get my recommendations mostly from Matt LeMay. He's a good guy.

But I have a crush on Dominique Leone. That guy is a fucking music encyclopedia. Plus he always gives straight up reviews, never writing gimmicky reviews that occasionally pop up on Pitchfork.

Oh wait he did do a few gimmicky reviews. Nevermind.

killed radio star
04-29-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Mayfuck

Oh wait he did do a few gimmicky reviews. Nevermind.

mr. richardson then? i trust his opinion most of the time.

Irrelevant
04-29-2004, 01:59 AM
Brent DiCrescenzo is an awful writer. and as of the last few years he has awful taste as well.

Eric Carr has no idea what he's talking about.

i don't like Matt LeMay really, he gives good reviews to mediocre albums too much.

i guess i enjoy Chris Ott the most, not because he has the best taste, but because he's the most enjoyable.

Dominique Leone is pretty respectable though. Mark Richardson is aight.

if you are
04-29-2004, 02:53 AM
the pretentious asshole one. hahahaha

1. Brent DiCrescenzo is an idiot.
2. yeah the hum review was good, but when you look at the shit they've given really high marks to, downward is heavenward should have been rated higher. i would give it like a 9.5+ they gave centaur's album a point higher than DIH, and.. i just don't get that at all. oh wait, i do get it. liking hum isn't really cool for them.
3. i like ryan schreiber .. (read his jimmy eat world "bleed american" review.. funny funny shit) and i think the really funny one is james wisdom..

cap'n jazz
04-29-2004, 04:22 AM
wtf you guys know their names

ravenguy2000
04-29-2004, 06:22 AM
If by "crush" you mean "which one would you like to crush in a giant trash compactor" than my answer is "all of them."

sledge
04-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Sean Casey

to be fair in my case it's because i post on a message board with a lot of them

...actually three boards.

Linkies?

sledge
04-29-2004, 09:48 AM
http://hipinion.com/forums/

http://ilx.wh3rd.net/

Thanks

killed radio star
04-29-2004, 07:51 PM
i liked bofus

oh yeah, forgot about him

spa ced
04-29-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by Irrelevant
Brent DiCrescenzo is an awful writer.

Originally posted by if you are

Brent DiCrescenzo is an idiot.

Whatevs. You guys are just jealous of Brent's big italian sausage. I bet he's a great cook too.

Boycott Graceland
04-29-2004, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by cap'n jazz

Mayfuck
04-29-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by cap'n jazz

I have all the trading cards.

rkjr
04-29-2004, 09:40 PM
Brent is the only one I'm familiar with, primarily because he makes such shitty reviews.

sawdust restaurants
05-01-2004, 04:23 PM
dominique and ott are the best writers, and dominique has the best taste by far.

mitchum and dahlen have done some pretty good stuff, too.