View Full Version : Public Enemy - Fight the Power

homechicago
04-28-2004, 01:51 PM
I actually heard this on the radio a few days ago, and I just had to post that I think it's an incredible song.

"1989 the number another summer (get down)
Sound of the funky drummer
Music hittin' your heart cause I know you got sould
(Brothers and sisters, hey)
Listen if you're missin' y'all
Swingin' while I'm singin'
Givin' whatcha gettin'
Knowin' what I know
While the Black bands sweatin'
And the rhythm rhymes rollin'
Got to give us what we want
Gotta give us what we need
Our freedom of speech is freedom or death
We got to fight the powers that be
Lemme hear you say
Fight the power

Chorus

As the rhythm designed to bounce
What counts is that the rhymes
Designed to fill your mind
Now that you've realized the prides arrived
We got to pump the stuff to make us tough
from the heart
It's a start, a work of art
To revolutionize make a change nothin's strange
People, people we are the same
No we're not the same
Cause we don't know the game
What we need is awareness, we can't get careless

You say what is this?
My beloved lets get down to business
Mental self defensive fitness
(Yo) bum rush the show
You gotta go for what you know
Make everybody see, in order to fight the powers that be..."

i wanna die
04-28-2004, 07:49 PM
sorry...but i think that song is the epitome of early nineties contradictory trash...they presumably 'fight the power' against 'racism' while the blacks who wrote that song are more racist than anybody...yeah some bluecollar mongloids were lame enough to get off on beating rodney king and getting away with it, but don't blame it on the rest of anglo race who has nothing to do with it...maybe im wrong but songs like this makes me wonder if they even know what they're talking about

Ghetto_Squirrel
04-28-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by i wanna die
sorry...but i think that song is the epitome of early nineties contradictory trash...they presumably 'fight the power' against 'racism' while the blacks who wrote that song are more racist than anybody...yeah some bluecollar mongloids were lame enough to get off on beating rodney king and getting away with it, but don't blame it on the rest of anglo race who has nothing to do with it...maybe im wrong but songs like this makes me wonder if they even know what they're talking about

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Please tell me you were being facetious.

Of course the only reason African-Americans could possibly hold any hostility toward white people is because half a dozen of us kicked Rodney King.

Oh, and let's construct a timeline.

March 20, 1990: "Fear of a Black Planet" released
March 3, 1991: King beaten down
April 29, 1992: Verdict in case handed down

Nimrod
04-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Fear of a Black Planet is a fantastic piece of work.

GrungeGuy
04-29-2004, 12:38 AM
I love the way Spike Lee used it in Do The Right Thing. I highly suggest the film to anyone who does not understand why Public Enemy were as angry as they were. It is an excellent period piece and charecter anaylisis. I have written 2 papers on it based on how Lee showed both sides of the race card in the film.

homechicago
04-30-2004, 11:55 AM
racism is alive and working in this country today, and when the song was written. they wrote a song "by the time i get to arizona" 1992 was written because arizona didn't observe Martin luther king day like the rest of the country, so he used his lyrics for social change and it had a part in getting the holiday reinstated - why care about a man who was for overall equality if he only supported racism? his songs try to elevate the black population and tell them to realize situations they can change.

I'm countin' down to the day deservin'
Fittin' for a king
I'm waitin' for the time when I can
Get to Arizona
'Cause my money's spent on
The goddamn rent
Neither party is mine not the
Jackass or the elephant

The trial of John King for the brutal killing of James Byrd Jr. opened on Tuesday in Jasper, Texas. King, 24, is the first of three expected to stand trial for the murder of Byrd, 49, killed in the early morning hours of June 7, 1998. King, along with Shawn Berry, 23, and Lawrence Brewer, 31, are alleged to have severely beaten Byrd, before chaining him to a pickup truck and dragging him to his dismemberment and death.

King, Berry and Brewer, all white, established ties to racist organizations during previous prison terms. Byrd was black.

yeah, he has no reason for dissatisfaction.