View Full Version : Am I the only person in the world who completely dislikes The Smiths?

Fall Down Blue
04-28-2004, 07:34 AM
I just don't get it man. They're fucking boring and that guy's voice is terrible.

The Gaddrow
04-28-2004, 08:02 AM
How Soon is Now? and one other song kicks infinite ass. Every other thing I've heard by them has sucked in large amounts.

disslunker
04-28-2004, 08:06 AM
thats funny, i was gonna post with the exact same thing as gaddrow. i love How Soon Is Now. i think there are a couple other songs that i can't remember titles to that i like.

but most of what i've heard i dont care for.

dean moriaty
04-28-2004, 08:10 AM
i like a like a bit of morrisey solo stuff...

the more you ingnore me the closer i get (morrisey solo) is a good song. worth a listen

silent1
04-28-2004, 08:20 AM
according to marlilyn manson if you like the smiths you're gay. i tend to agree.

2Marlon2Brando
04-28-2004, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by silent1
according to marlilyn manson if you like the smiths you're gay.

Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
...letís get straight...if you meet any of the qualifications below, you are gay.

1. If you get someone elseís sperm on you.
2. If youíve ever owned a Smiths album.
6. If you tap your feet to a Smiths song.
10. If you have any kind of sex-with a male or female-to the Smiths, youíre gay.
15. If thereís a Smiths song on in a bar and youíre in the bathroom with your dick in your hand.
20. If you fuck a girl who likes the Smiths.
21. If you donít eat meat because the Smiths album Meat Is Murder had an impact on your life.
24. If you have a haircut like Morrissey.
25. If youíve ever had a haircut while a Morrissey or Smiths album was playing in the room.
27. If youíve ever put band-aids on your nipples as a fashion statement.
35. If you know the names of anyone whoís ever been in the Smiths besides Morrissey and Johnny Marr.
39. If your first, last, middle or only name is Morrissey.

Fall Down Blue
04-28-2004, 09:27 AM
hah.

christian zombie vampires
04-28-2004, 09:55 AM
FINALLY. someone else understands! <3
even after not hearing them for ages i still don't like listening to one of their songs. i can't believe people think morrissey is or was at all in any way witty or clever. his voice is so life-draining i need to put on radiohead afterwards to regain the will to live. etc. etc.

although like mike said, how soon is now is a pretty unique song. i've always dug that one before and after buying and selling two smiths albums.

Radiofred
04-28-2004, 09:57 AM
I love the smiths and if you think morrissey's voice is terrible then what do you make of Billy Corgan's voice?

Isle
04-28-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Radiofred
I love the smiths and if you think morrissey's voice is terrible then what do you make of Billy Corgan's voice?

it's at the other end of spectrum, so you can expect it not to be crap.

i enjoy most smiths songs for the first 12 seconds, but after that they are beyond boring.

Fall Down Blue
04-28-2004, 11:55 AM
...and i hate the fact that every indie hipster club i go to, they always fucking play 1 smiths song a night and all the hipsters move around like a bunch of queers.

god i hate the smiths.

Pudge
04-28-2004, 02:30 PM
i fucking hate the smiths but bands i like (thursday) love them which makes me sad.

then again billy likes all shitty bands and he made some of the best music ever so eh...

Ihaman
04-28-2004, 02:31 PM
I don't like the Smiths.

oclaftap
04-28-2004, 03:45 PM

agreed, the smiths are awesome!

pale blue eyes
04-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Fall Down Blue
I just don't get it man. They're fucking boring and that guy's voice is terrible.

I like The Smiths but I have to be in a certain mood. Nice avatar by the way.

TheHeadOnTheDoor
04-28-2004, 04:39 PM
i was told that the smiths are just like the cure.

i'm guessing that is a lie, because every smiths song i've encountered so far i havent liked. and i like the cure.

Radiofred
04-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by TheHeadOnTheDoor
i was told that the smiths are just like the cure.

i'm guessing that is a lie, because every smiths song i've encountered so far i havent liked. and i like the cure.

Im pretty sure their was a music war going on between the smiths and the cure,Mostly between Robert smith and Moz.Not too sure why but i think it's because robert smith was pissed off at the band name "The smiths" thinking they where taking the piss outta his family?:p The Robert smiths? Anyway's i dig both of these band's very much kidz.

sosnumculfer
04-28-2004, 07:54 PM
when you listen to a smiths song, read the lyrics while you listen to it instead of expecting something to jump out at you. and moz's voice is my favorite part of the smiths. oh and they are not gay. and im not either. marylin mansons gay man. thursday likes the smiths? i think thursday sucks.

Boycott Graceland
04-29-2004, 05:23 AM
EVERY SONG SOUNDS THE GODDAMN SAME. JANGLY GUITARS. ANGULAR CHOPS. WET WET DRUMS. THE SINGER CAN ONLY HIT THREE DIFFERENT NOTES. WHAT THE HELL.

i_dont_live
04-29-2004, 06:16 AM
well, if it helps,

Marilyn Manson agrees with you

Boycott Graceland
04-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by i_dont_live
well, if it helps,

Marilyn Manson agrees with you
IT HELPS.

Nimrod's Son
04-30-2004, 12:30 AM
No,, you are most assuredly not.

Nimrod's Son
04-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by sosnumculfer
when you listen to a smiths song, read the lyrics while you listen to it instead of expecting something to jump out at you. Maybe he should have been an author instead of a musician, because he can't sing and can't write melodies.

Radiofred
05-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
Maybe he should have been an author instead of a musician, because he can't sing and can't write melodies.

Download a morrisssey song called "He knows i'd love to see him"
and tell me that guy has no melody and can't sing! Fair enough if your not into the smiths and morrissey then alrighty then,but don't slate their musical ability cause their music says nothing to you.

Isle
05-01-2004, 11:41 AM
people who say johnny marr is the greatest guitarist of all time all twats...who was he trying to impress by never playing a single guitar solo? they're the icing on the fucking cake! johnny b gay

Radiofred
05-01-2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Isle
people who say johnny marr is the greatest guitarist of all time all twats...who was he trying to impress by never playing a single guitar solo? they're the icing on the fucking cake! johnny b gay

Why dont you just fuck off and listen to your Joe Satriani albums.
Marr wasnt trying to impress anyone by not playing a guitar solo,If he felt he could compliment the song with a guitar solo he would do it weesacks.Suppose you like bands that play guitar solo's for the sake of the song having a guitar solo?Me? I like Billy's style of guitar solo's.......Short and sweet.Keep's the music exciting without a shady 5 minute guitar solo.

Isle
05-01-2004, 12:05 PM

Why dont you just fuck off and listen to your Joe Satriani albums.
Marr wasnt trying to impress anyone by not playing a guitar solo,If he felt he could compliment the song with a guitar solo he would do it weesacks.Suppose you like bands that play guitar solo's for the sake of the song having a guitar solo?Me? I like Billy's style of guitar solo's.......Short and sweet.Keep's the music exciting without a shady 5 minute guitar solo.

LOL joe satriani. i think you misunderstood me- i wasn't talking about stupidly long solos, rather the short, sweet kind you mentioned. think about it, just about every smiths song IS boring after a while- a solo about halfway through might have actually kept people listening.

Radiofred
05-01-2004, 12:11 PM
Fair enough bro,but if you do wanna hear a Johhny marr guitar solo listen to Electronics "Getting away with it"The band with Bernard Sumner and Johnny Marr. Has a sweet little accoustic guitar solo in it and to show that Johnny Marr guitar solo's do exist. Also some of the stuff he done with The The too has some sweet guitar work. Though im thinking electronic might be a bit too gay for the people of this messageboard

Lie
05-01-2004, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Isle
LOL joe satriani. i think you misunderstood me- i wasn't talking about stupidly long solos, rather the short, sweet kind you mentioned. think about it, just about every smiths song IS boring after a while- a solo about halfway through might have actually kept people listening.

It doesn't matter what kind of solos you were talking about or what kind of music you like, the fact is that Johnny Marr did some brilliant stuff with the Smiths and while his guitar wasn't always front and center, it did get the job done. You may find the music boring, but the fact is that there isn't a place for guitar solos in most of their songs, and in many ways, the rhythm parts were engaging enough to act as solos, musically speaking. There's always context to be considered. And I even like some Joe Satriani, so there.

There's no point in liking/disliking solo/non-solo players on principle. That's just dumb.

Radiofred
05-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Lie

It doesn't matter what kind of solos you were talking about or what kind of music you like, the fact is that Johnny Marr did some brilliant stuff with the Smiths and while his guitar wasn't always front and center, it did get the job done. You may find the music boring, but the fact is that there isn't a place for guitar solos in most of their songs, and in many ways, the rhythm parts were engaging enough to act as solos, musically speaking. There's always context to be considered. And I even like some Joe Satriani, so there.

There's no point in liking/disliking solo/non-solo players on principle. That's just dumb.

I agree,All aspects of guitar playing can be appreciated

ChristHimself!
05-01-2004, 12:48 PM
Though im thinking electronic might be a bit too gay for the people of this messageboard

This place is fag central, whatever do you mean?

Johnny Marr's guitar playing flows like teh rivers.

Morrissey is a genius.

Radiofred
05-01-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah,Johnny makes the guitar flow like water.Drip drop drip drop

Orenthal James
05-02-2004, 02:55 PM
the best part about the smiths is that TaTu covered one of their songs. they made it better. Young psuedo-lesbians make everything better.

TheHeadOnTheDoor
05-02-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by Orenthal James
TaTu covered one of their songs.

really?
i take it all back. i like the smiths now.

Orenthal James
05-02-2004, 03:23 PM

really?
i take it all back. i like the smiths now.

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH
HOW DARE YOU SAY
I GO ABOUT THINGS THE WRONG WAY?
I AM HUMAN AND I WANT TO BE LOVED, JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE DOES.

TheHeadOnTheDoor
05-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Orenthal James

YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH
HOW DARE YOU SAY
I GO ABOUT THINGS THE WRONG WAY?
I AM HUMAN AND I WANT TO BE LOVED, JUST LIKE EVERYBODY ELSE DOES.

:rockon:

MOTHERFUCKIN ROCK

Orenthal James
05-02-2004, 03:31 PM

:rockon:

MOTHERFUCKIN ROCK

i remember listening to that song all the time when i was driving from tampa to orlando, and just recently being in the truck with john and hearing the song and him telling my who sang it.

TheHeadOnTheDoor
05-02-2004, 03:35 PM
it's kind of long and repetitive.
if it was shorter, i might like it. and if morissey didnt sing it.

Orenthal James
05-02-2004, 03:36 PM
naixt time you are in the car i will play the TaTu version. its awesome in everyway.

TheHeadOnTheDoor
05-02-2004, 03:38 PM
the TaTu version is probably shorter and not sung by morissey.