View Full Version : sonic youth appreciation!

pumpkingrrrl
04-23-2004, 09:11 AM
so who here are sonic youth fans?
what are your favorite songs, albums, when did you start listening to them etc?

i think i heard sonic youth for the first time around 1994. a friend was listening to daydream nation and i thought they were quite good so i borrowed the record and became hooked immediately. my favorite sy album is GOO, every song is awsome.
favorite songs are mary christ, silver rocket, winner's blues, and star power.

never seen them in concert, but i definitley want to see them at lolapalooza this year :D

Smashing87
04-23-2004, 09:39 AM
I think they're ok by me.

ProgressChrome
04-23-2004, 12:41 PM
i saw them with stereolab in toronto in 2000... amazing!
i prolly got into them around that point

sledge
04-23-2004, 02:02 PM
I got into them when Murray Street was released. I then chonologically went through their catalouge starting from the beginning.
I'm definetally a big fan of their more recent efforts though, and A Thousand Leaves is probably my favourite album of theirs.
However, the new album Nurse is definetally shaping up to be one of their best.

disslunker
04-23-2004, 02:46 PM
i first heard them in maybe 95 when i was 10, but i didn't pay much attention because, well i was ten.

in 98 i saw the music video for Sunday and immediately bought A Thousand Leaves. i loved that song and maybe two others, but it didn't go any further than that.

a year later i found the album and gave it another chance.

i was blown away. i loved the whole thing (minus some of the Kim songs heh)

Hoarfrost became my favorite sonic youth song and remains it.

that christmas i got a ton of money from my family and i went out and bought Goo, album and video, and Screaming Fields of Sonic Love, album and video.

i went through a box of my cd jewel cases last night and i found a TON of sy stuff that i apparently obtained somewhere along the line from thrift stores and such.

an old live album, Sonic Youth Sonic Death from liek 1983. the Dirty album. experimental jet set, trash and no star, etc.

my favorite album remains A Thousand Leaves.
that album is just so beautiful, every song fits perfectly and sounds crafted.

Nurse is proving to be a very very good album as well, and i think i'm beginning to like it in the same way i like a thousand leaves.

Ghetto_Squirrel
04-23-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm one of about four people on the planet who liked NYC Ghosts and Flowers.

Boseph
04-23-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Ghetto_Squirrel
I'm one of about four people on the planet who liked NYC Ghosts and Flowers.

Same here.

Ghetto_Squirrel
04-23-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by Boseph
Same here.

Great. I wonder who the other two are.

i_dont_live
04-23-2004, 10:26 PM
even though i only have one album (Dirty), they're still one of my favourite bands ever. my favourite tracks are probably: Drunken Butterfly, Shoot, Swimsuit Issue, and Youth Against Facism. i also love Silver Rocket from daydream nation.

they're playing in my city next week, but its an 18+ :(

its good to know there are other SY fans out there, as none of my friends listen to them.

pumpkingrrrl
04-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by i_dont_live
its good to know there are other SY fans out there, as none of my friends listen to them.

i know..none of my friends even know who they are.

that's sad.

smashingjj
04-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I've tried to listen to them before, but I'm getting into them just now. A few days ago I listened to Murray Street and it was the first time I could say I really liked a Sonic Youth album.

homechicago
04-24-2004, 07:21 PM
it's not original of me, but i like all of daydream nation. the artwork by richter helps.

homechicago
04-24-2004, 07:23 PM
my old thread about wttw (pbs) was about the sonic youth / wilco soundstage show a few nights ago. surprisingly good.

hupette gros
04-24-2004, 09:25 PM
i got into sonic youth just last fall when my roomate made me listen to the diamond sea. i then got washing machine, daydream nation, evol, sister and murray street.

Rain on Tin from Murray Street must be one of my favorite songs of the moment, it's so fucking amazing.

JewishBabe
04-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Smashing87
I think they're ok by me.

vanilla
04-25-2004, 12:03 AM
love sonic youth. LOVE

tear stained glass
04-25-2004, 02:25 AM
They're quite possibly my favorite band.