View Full Version : Hardware neccessary for music recording / editing?

disslunker
04-23-2004, 02:54 AM
i am looking into buying a computer solely for recording / editing music after i move to san diego...

what kind of hardware would i need?

whats a good soundcard for this kind of thing?

what other stuff would i need?

how fast would the computer need to be?

etc etc.

disslunker
04-23-2004, 06:38 AM
cmon kids help a brutha out.

Shparticus
04-23-2004, 06:50 AM
Theoretically? You just need a halfway decent sound card with a line-in jack, a mic, and some kind of recording software. Hit songs have probably been recorded with less. But assuming you're getting aleetle morea spaceeefic...

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MusicXPC/

This'd probably be a nice start. I've heard some good things.

ProgressChrome
04-23-2004, 07:34 AM
what kinds of things will you be recording? how many inputs will you need?

if you need two inputs, heres the setup I would recommend:
-M-Audio DMP3 Mic Preamp
-M-Audio Audiophile 96/24 sound card
-AMD XP 3200 or Intel P4 3 Ghz
-1gb of RAM
-Apex 430 condenser mics are a really good value, get a pair maybe
-as far as software goes, go for Nuendo (just find a pirated copy), and look for some Waves plugins
-if you need more inputs, I would recommend the M-Audio Delta 1010LT soundcard and then you'll need some sort of 8-input mic preamp for that, that all depends on your budget, there is many available.
hope this helped

ProgressChrome
04-23-2004, 07:36 AM
Tell me your budget and the types of things you'll be recording and I can help you more specifically.

disslunker
04-23-2004, 03:37 PM
okay...

i'm moving to san diego, so i can't spend TOO much... i was looking in the area of like $1000.

i just want to get started recording acoustic type stuff/ softer electronic tinged stuff.

i already own a nice condenser mic, so i dont plan on buying anything else in that department.

what i really want is just a simple setup. in a year or two, i will most likely be building a studio, and i can worry about buying more stuff then.

as for right now, i just need a little somethin' to record from my future apartment, and i know my current computer ain't gonna cut it.

disslunker
04-23-2004, 04:06 PM
actually i'd love to buy something like the link posted earlier, and i will someday, but right now i just want to buy some cheapish,decent computer system and spend a few hundred on a decent soundcard and maybe more memory, cause thats all i really need at the moment.

so... soundcard recommendations...

and 1gig ram is a good amount?

thanks for all yr help.

ProgressChrome
04-23-2004, 07:28 PM
for what you are doing, here's what I recommend:
-M-Audio Omni Studio (4-analog-input soundcard with two mic preamps, and 2 digital inputs)
-Either an AMD XP 3200 or a P4 3ghz
-1gb of DDR RAM
-ask dealer about motherboard
-basic video card (maybe 32 or 64mb)
-whatever else you need in a computer

this should be do-able for under a grand. If not, just get a slightly lower processor speed. like an AMD XP 2800 or an intel 2.6 or something.
the sound card goes for about $300US which is a really good value considering all it does.
hope this helps.

disslunker
04-23-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by ProgressChrome
for what you are doing, here's what I recommend:
-M-Audio Omni Studio (4-analog-input soundcard with two mic preamps, and 2 digital inputs)
-Either an AMD XP 3200 or a P4 3ghz
-1gb of DDR RAM
-ask dealer about motherboard
-basic video card (maybe 32 or 64mb)
-whatever else you need in a computer

this should be do-able for under a grand. If not, just get a slightly lower processor speed. like an AMD XP 2800 or an intel 2.6 or something.
the sound card goes for about $300US which is a really good value considering all it does.
hope this helps.

thank you a lot. this really helps me out.

i had no clue as to where to start. thanks :)

ZackZ
04-23-2004, 10:19 PM
You don't need that fast of a CPU for recording. Hard drive speed is much more important. SCSI is probably the best option, but also VERY expensive. There are some excellent Serial-ATA drives out now by Westerd Digital that rival SCSI speeds. You want a drive that isn't going to use a lot of CPU cycles for access. I think the Western Digital Raptor is the fastest Serial-ATA drive on the market right now. Most motherboards these days come with Serial-ATA capabilites, so that shouldn't be an issue.

A gig of RAM should do you well. The more the better, as always with computer stuff.

As far as sound, I'm not really sure. The Pro audio stuff is pretty obscure and expensive. The very least, you should get an Audigy2. It has 24-bit input and isn't too expensive.

I would try to find articles on bands that use digital recording. I think I read that A Perfect Ciricle did all their recording with computers. They used Macs (gay), but if you could find some info, it should help you get a start.

ProgressChrome
04-23-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by disslunker

thank you a lot. this really helps me out.

i had no clue as to where to start. thanks :)

no problem!
don't worry about SCSI drives or whatever, maybe once you get a full studio you can worry about that then, just go with a standard IDE or firewire drive.
probably 80 gigs should suffice.

aldango
04-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by ZackZ
They used Macs (gay), but if you could find some info, it should help you get a start.

Too bad they're better. :)

ZackZ
04-24-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by zekix

Too bad they're better. :)

Good luck on finding a Mac that costs under 1000 that can do shit with recording.

aldango
04-24-2004, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ

Good luck on finding a Mac that costs under 1000 that can do shit with recording.

Yeah, that is true. Buuut if you want the job done right, you'll fork out the money (I know that $1000 is the limit in this situation, though) for a G4+.

disslunker
04-24-2004, 03:59 PM
whats so great about macs?

ProgressChrome
04-25-2004, 02:19 AM
honestly man, just go with PCs for what you want to do. I might start a flame war by saying macs are overrated. but i see your situation and what i've suggested will serve you very well.

disslunker
04-25-2004, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by ProgressChrome
honestly man, just go with PCs for what you want to do. I might start a flame war by saying macs are overrated. but i see your situation and what i've suggested will serve you very well.

oh i know. i'm more comfortable with PC and i dont wanna learn a whole new system just to record, thats dumb.

i just want to know what the pros of having a mac are, since that guy is going so nuts over the macs.