View Full Version : Whats with this new stupid rock cliche?

barden
04-23-2004, 01:18 AM
This whole stupid generic rock outfit that’s come out busy destroying the quality of the rest by diluting the market?

It started with the Strokes, Vines, Hives etc, and now it’s got out of hand.

Some of the pre-requisites ******* having ‘The’ in the name and shaggy hair.

Like the Jets. Who are they? I saw a picture and slotted them quite comfortable into that whole ‘style’.

Am I far off?

machinaddict
04-23-2004, 01:37 AM
you're over a year late on this thread.

Mr. Rhinoceros
04-23-2004, 01:49 AM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I think you mean "Jet" and they're funtime goodtime rock and roll. Quite unlike the others you mentioned that think they're performing art by emulating 60s bands.</font>

barden
04-23-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I think you mean "Jet" and they're funtime goodtime rock and roll. Quite unlike the others you mentioned that think they're performing art by emulating 60s bands.</font>

As I said, I only saw a picture and made an assumption. Thank you for clearing that up.

For a fun band they have…. Interesting hair?

And yes, too late, BUT BETTER LATE THEN NEVER!

SG Boi
04-23-2004, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new"> emulating 60s bands.</font>

....which is worse than Jet emulating late 70s-80s bands

the strokes aren't "art" i would call them "funtime goodtime rock" as much as anything else

except they have better hooks than Jet who are completely bland. The Strokes aren't original either but they don't have any blatant direct rip offs as bad as "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?"

Turtle
04-23-2004, 04:48 AM
I know what you mean.

I personally don't believe Jet have anything. They're annoying.

Mr. Rhinoceros
04-23-2004, 04:52 AM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">My declining intrest in rock in general leads me to apoligize for bands that don't sound like this new generation of pussy metal that I'm hearing constantly.

The Strokes always seemed to me to be an MTV built band. Frat boys like them which doesn't help at all. So, whatever. I like Jet.</font>

disslunker
04-23-2004, 05:41 AM
i like a few jet songs.

i enjoy the strokes first album a lot.
i know all the words.

they're just really good songs.

kiwi
04-23-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by SG Boi
The Strokes aren't original either but they don't have any blatant direct rip offs as bad as "Are You Gonna Be My Girl?"
Iggy Pop would be rolling in his grave if he was dead.

Fathoms (unadored)
04-23-2004, 12:53 PM
not to mention Cold hard Bitch sounds like watered down ac/dc.

Mason R Butler
04-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Are you sure you mean "The Jets"

http://www.thetwinsix.com/twinsix/images/news/The-Jets.jpg

Isle
04-23-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Fathoms (unadored)
not to mention Cold hard Bitch sounds like watered down ac/dc.

it's supposed to

but on a lighter note:

BIG BLACK BOOTS.

LONG BROWN HAYER!

SHE'S TO SWEET WITH HUH

JET BLACK STAYA!!!

DOO DOO DOO. DOO DOO DO DOO D00!

Nimrod
04-23-2004, 04:00 PM
"Rock" is now pussy whiny rock.

"Punk" is now pussy whiny emo punk.

The whole world has gone gay. Well, except hip hop. That remains fairly clear of homoness.

Fattening Ass
04-23-2004, 11:05 PM
lazy gun is fucking good.

ZackZ
04-24-2004, 12:28 AM
The Strokes base all their songs on Tom Petty's "American Girl." Fucking lameass pieces of shit.

kevinjboconnor
04-24-2004, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by ZackZ
The Strokes base all their songs on Tom Petty's "American Girl." Fucking lameass pieces of shit.

yeah, like one.

the strokes did more for music than any other band in the past 5 years. and not saying they are the greatest band either, but they moved this whole thing forward, and i can relate a lot more to the strokes then fred durst for whatever reason so i'm happy with it.

isn't it rumored or that julian had something that said interpol when the strokes performed on snl or something and that interpol was signed shortly thereafter? i dunno this story might not be true but i heard this somewhere.

someone already made the only important point earlier though. the strokes write really good songs. and jet just doesn't.

Example
04-24-2004, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by kevinjboconnor

the strokes write really good songs. and jet just doesn't.

End of discussion!

Irrelevant
04-24-2004, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by ZackZ

you live in Manhattan.

Mr. Rhinoceros
04-24-2004, 02:56 AM

the strokes did more for music than any other band in the past 5 years. and not saying they are the greatest band either, but they moved this whole thing forward, and i can relate a lot more to the strokes then fred durst for whatever reason so i'm happy with it.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Strokes fans like you really soil the band's reputation. If you had half a brain you'd admit they're recycling old stuff and not doing anything to move rock forward. If you would just admit that they're merely funtime goodtime rock and roll and nothing more it would be ok, but you act like they're catalysts for a new movement in rock and roll.

I mean really, how blind are you?</font>

Lie
04-24-2004, 10:01 AM
The only thing the Strokes moved foward was a bunch of shittier bands. That said, they're probably still going to be making good music after this whole thing blows over.

patrick
04-24-2004, 10:39 AM

the strokes write really good songs. and jet just doesn't.

Lie
04-24-2004, 11:06 AM
I can't even imagine putting Jet on the same level as the Strokes. It's ridiculous.

Smashing87
04-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Don't forget, The All-American Rejects are *******d in this cliche.

I could ask about these punk bands and/or "punk" rock chicks from Canada, but rather not.

i wanna die
04-24-2004, 07:26 PM
yeah now pseudo-gothica nu metal hype is going the way of early nineties grunge..this annoying emo/punk hybrid beast is currently roaming our fallen nation--with its ashton kutcher hair and multi colored armbands fresh from Hot Topic...dont be afraid to admit, that you are frightened too