View Full Version : Ahaha, check out www.somethingawful.com (music related)

Nothing/everything
04-20-2004, 07:41 AM
http://somethingawful.com

:D

smashingjj
04-20-2004, 07:48 AM
>> Tues:04-20-04
.: Radiohead: A Very Radiohead Christmas
.: Radiohead: Big Ugly Headed Thom Yorke Likes the Black Chicks, Oh Yeah
.: Radiohead: A Tribute to Radiohead
.: Radiohead: The Best of Radiohead, Vol. 47
.: Radiohead: The Tool Remixes
.: Radiohead: Kid A+
.: Radiohead: The Discography (Remixed by P-Diddy and RZA)
.: Radiohead: Turboslut 3D
.: Radiohead: Thom Gets a New Face
.: Radiohead: President Bush, More Like President Push (Him Off a Cliff)
.: Radiohead: George Michael's Sex Machine
.: Radiohead: Let's Talk About Sex Baby
.: Radiohead: Let's Get a Little More Radiohead Up In This Piece, Son
.: Tool: The Radiohead Remixes

smashingjj
04-20-2004, 07:50 AM
aw man this is fucking great

"You might dismiss such a substantial epiphany as puerile or perhaps vacuous at best, but I must assure you that such a colloquialism sojourns itself at an opportune place and time, for these years that we live in, decades of strife and ceaseless antagonism, remind us of life's fleeting mortality."

:rofl:

sledge
04-20-2004, 08:00 AM
Ahahahaha, that's gold!

As for tracks 2-9, I was unable to listen to them as I was so blown away by Radiohead's sheer power that I beat my CD player into pieces with a rake so it would never be defiled by another, inferior compact disc. I shall review the rest of the album once my dad flies back from the Hamptons and buys me a new SUV to play it in.

disslunker
04-20-2004, 08:01 AM
hahahaha god thats good.

i love the radiohead review.

jesus christ thats funny

SG Boi
04-20-2004, 08:06 AM
i hate to build up the image I appear to have here of worshipping pitchfork any further, but that completely sucked

SA is completely obvious and unfunny 90% of the time, this was no different.

DeviousJ
04-20-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by SG Boi
i hate to build up the image I appear to have here of worshipping pitchfork any further, but that completely sucked

SA is completely obvious and unfunny 90% of the time, this was no different.

Eh it was pretty good, I liked the first review.

The Sub Pop one was better though

SG Boi
04-20-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by smashingjj
.: Radiohead: A Very Radiohead Christmas
.: Radiohead: Big Ugly Headed Thom Yorke Likes the Black Chicks, Oh Yeah
.: Radiohead: A Tribute to Radiohead
.: Radiohead: The Best of Radiohead, Vol. 47
.: Radiohead: The Tool Remixes
.: Radiohead: Kid A+
.: Radiohead: The Discography (Remixed by P-Diddy and RZA)
.: Radiohead: Turboslut 3D
.: Radiohead: Thom Gets a New Face
.: Radiohead: President Bush, More Like President Push (Him Off a Cliff)
.: Radiohead: George Michael's Sex Machine
.: Radiohead: Let's Talk About Sex Baby
.: Radiohead: Let's Get a Little More Radiohead Up In This Piece, Son
.: Tool: The Radiohead Remixes

see, this just isn't funny at all

i mean, the entire thing. It isn't funny and it isn't even an accurate parody.

smashingjj
04-20-2004, 08:42 AM

see, this just isn't funny at all

i mean, the entire thing. It isn't funny and it isn't even an accurate parody. ohhh, so now I see. Indeed, it wasn't funny at all.

:rolleyes:

SG Boi
04-20-2004, 08:44 AM
don't be a douchebag just because I don't think putting Salt N Peppa song titles next to Radiohead is hilarious

smashingjj
04-20-2004, 08:47 AM
don't be a douchebag just because I don't think putting Salt N Peppa song titles next to Radiohead is hilarious you just like to whine a lot

SG Boi
04-20-2004, 08:49 AM
sorry for pissing on your parade, dude

next time I won't give my opinion if it differs from anyone else's.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

SG Boi
04-20-2004, 08:50 AM
see, i'm learning what "the funny" is.

It's like, you make it look like you're right with the guy, and then they scroll down and BAM! It turns out you were rolling your eyes at them all along.

smashingjj
04-20-2004, 08:56 AM

Glare Seethe
04-20-2004, 11:02 AM
I think it's pretty good, and I agree with DeviousJ that the first review was the best. The focus on Radiohead, however, seems a little out of place, especially considering Pitchfork just recently gave "Com Lag" 4.0. It sort of strikes me as being driven by bitterness rather than actual parody. As if they're seeing Pitchfork the way they want to see it and not the way it really is... at least as far as the Radiohead issue is concerned.

I'm a daily reader of both Pitchfork and SA, though, and today I went to SA right after visiting Pitchfork. The transition was barely noticeable, at first - I thought I accidentally clicked a review. The Fake SAs are always a nice surprise.

Mayfuck
04-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Sean Casey is right. That was a poor parody. I don't think Lowtax has any idea of what kind of music they review and how they review it. SA has done way better.

Irrelevant
04-20-2004, 12:11 PM
yeah, it wasn't funny and they have no idea what they were even making fun of. the real Pitchfork is much more hilarious.

bowmaan
04-20-2004, 12:30 PM
i hate pitchfork and anyone that wont recognize the fact that radiohead and bjork are nothing great or all that original.

Irrelevant
04-20-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by bowmaan
i hate pitchfork and anyone that wont recognize the fact that radiohead and bjork are nothing great or all that original.

yeah, they're not as good as Hot Rod Circuit.

:D:rofl::D

patrick
04-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by bowmaan
i hate pitchfork and anyone that wont recognize the fact that radiohead and bjork are nothing great or all that original. pussy

machinaddict
04-20-2004, 01:32 PM
This section is much better:
http://www.somethingawful.com/yourbandsucks/

Nimrod
04-20-2004, 02:34 PM
The Radiohead part wasn't nearly as funny as the headlines:

.: Leader singer of Mockenspiel found dead in college drainage ditch
.: Radiohead nominated Time Magazine's "Most Influential Anything Ever" by us
.: Upcoming college emo band announces high expectations
.: Track listings revealed for Crying Razor's EP, Life of Emotional Tears
.: Underground group makes it big, proceeds to "sell out"
.: Annoying British rock group creates music video where they intently stare at the camera while singing
.: RichDork Media writer debates the pros and cons of growing a goatee
.: Coffee shop taken over by scenesters who demand access to Modest Mouse merchandise

rkjr
04-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Eh, yeah. This one wasn't really too good, as far as Pitchfork parodies or Fake SA sites go. The first one is the best one, because it's the only criticism that's actually pretty accurate for Pitchfork, with the whole 'instead of actually reviewing the album, writing about a bunch of unrelated shit' thing. The rest are just bunch typical indie, emo (which Pitchfork is usually-if-anything-against) , Radiohead-loving (which they haven't really been recently) cheapshots.

Toast
04-20-2004, 03:35 PM
hey can I play too?

christian zombie vampires
04-20-2004, 03:50 PM
You remind me of capitalism (the phone is ringing)

SA is the best man. the best.

Nimrod
04-20-2004, 03:55 PM
Oh, come on, a bunch of you are just mad that they're mocking Radiohead adoration because you're in love with Thom Yorke.

This is fantastic:

Finally Yorke's angelic voice sweeps in, crooning the following incomprehensibly intelligent lyrics:<i>
Ale A Gator, the world is your at your feet
With a gaping mouth and jagged teeth
Your eyes remind me of capitalism (the telephone is ringing)
And your love is love like loving eyes, I will be there for you

Ale A Gator
Ale A Gator
Dragging through your personal hell
Ale A Gator
Ale A Gator
Encrusted jewels and a kissing kill across your gentle forehead

Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Gentle Ale A Gator
</i>

rkjr
04-20-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod
Oh, come on, a bunch of you are just mad that they're mocking Radiohead adoration because you're in love with Thom Yorke.

This is fantastic:

Finally Yorke's angelic voice sweeps in, crooning the following incomprehensibly intelligent lyrics:<i>
Ale A Gator, the world is your at your feet
With a gaping mouth and jagged teeth
Your eyes remind me of capitalism (the telephone is ringing)
And your love is love like loving eyes, I will be there for you

Ale A Gator
Ale A Gator
Dragging through your personal hell
Ale A Gator
Ale A Gator
Encrusted jewels and a kissing kill across your gentle forehead

Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Time for sleep
Gentle Ale A Gator
</i>

Okay then, I admit at least that is awesome.

ZackZ
04-20-2004, 05:56 PM
I had never even seen a shooting star before. 25 years of rotations, passes through comets' paths, and travel, and to my memory I had never witnessed burning debris scratch across the night sky. Radiohead were hunched over their instruments. Thom Yorke slowly beat on a grand piano, singing, eyes closed, into his microphone like he was trying to kiss around a big nose. Colin Greenwood tapped patiently on a double bass, waiting for his cue. White pearls of arena light swam over their faces. A lazy disco light spilled artificial constellations inside the aluminum cove of the makeshift stage. The metal skeleton of the stage ate one end of Florence's Piazza Santa Croce, on the steps of the Santa Croce Cathedral. Michelangelo's bones and cobblestone laid beneath. I stared entranced, soaking in Radiohead's new material, chiseling each sound into the best functioning parts of my brain which would be the only sound system for the material for months.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fuck Pitchfork. And fuck anyone who didn't think the SA parody wasn't hillarious. You're just indie loving bitches.

Irrelevant
04-20-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ

And fuck anyone who didn't think the SA parody wasn't hillarious.

and fuck the english language!

ZackZ
04-20-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Irrelevant

The English was fine, I just had a double negative. In essence I was saying, fuck anyone who actually liked the article. What I should have said was "Fuck anyone who didn't think the SA parody was hillarious."

Irrelevant
04-20-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ

The English was fine, I just had a double negative. In essence I was saying, fuck anyone who actually liked the article. What I should have said was "Fuck anyone who didn't think the SA parody was hillarious."

actually you used a double negative to say "Fuck anyone who did think the SA parody was hilarious" and you spelled hilarious wrong.

but i guess it was no worse than your typical Thom Yorke "solo".

disslunker
04-20-2004, 06:50 PM

Mr. Rhinoceros
04-20-2004, 07:21 PM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Meanwhile on real SA, they describe several members of this community pefectly:</font>

In case you've never heard of Pitchfork Media before, it's one of those uber-scenester hipster indie shithead mags which allocates its time fawning over either "intelligent" bands like Radiohead or super-underground indie acts that nobody has ever heard of and usually have the word "project" or "experiment" in their name. It's a culture of pretending to be more intelligent and obscure than the next guy so your musical cock will be larger than theirs and all the ladies will flock to you like cosmetic surgeons to Thom Yorke's disturbingly mutilated face.

Mr. Rhinoceros
04-20-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
Sean Casey is right. That was a poor parody. I don't think Lowtax has any idea of what kind of music they review and how they review it. SA has done way better.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Sean's just mad because he took the insult on his favorite internet page in the whole world personally.

You know, I don't find it surprising at all that the people who thought it wasn't funny were you, Sean, and Ryan Patrick.</font>

ZackZ
04-20-2004, 07:39 PM

actually you used a double negative to say "Fuck anyone who did think the SA parody was hilarious" and you spelled hilarious wrong.

but i guess it was no worse than your typical Thom Yorke "solo".

My 'l' key sticks. I'm Spanish. I'm a rebel.

Irrelevant
04-20-2004, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">
You know, I don't find it surprising at all that the people who thought it wasn't funny were you, Sean, and Ryan Patrick.</font>

the people who know the most about music and realized that SA is clueless about what they were trying to make fun of? yeah.

Mr. Rhinoceros
04-20-2004, 09:40 PM

the people who know the most about music and realized that SA is clueless about what they were trying to make fun of? yeah.

It's a culture of pretending to be more intelligent and obscure than the next guy so your musical cock will be larger than theirs

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Way to go, Ryan. Way to be that guy.

You know band names. Your knowledge of music, however, is negligable.</font>

Mayfuck
04-20-2004, 09:45 PM

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Way to go, Ryan. Way to be that guy.

You know band names. Your knowledge of music, however, is negligable.</font>

Like I said, the people writing for SA found it funny for the same reasons you people did: you have little knowledge about the reviews and the music that gets reviewed there. I didn't understand all the emo jokes on the parody page considering Pitchfork bashes emo bands every chance they get. I got a chuckle from the Radiohead parody reviews but that's it.

disslunker
04-20-2004, 10:51 PM
um, i thought it was hilarious. and i dont hate pitchfork, its just funny.

everyone needs to calm down, damn.

Nothing/everything
04-21-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by disslunker
um, i thought it was hilarious. and i dont hate pitchfork, its just funny.

everyone needs to calm down, damn.

my thoughts exactly.....

mono
04-21-2004, 01:54 AM

the people who know the most about music

:erm

Mr. Rhinoceros
04-21-2004, 02:00 AM

Like I said, the people writing for SA found it funny for the same reasons you people did: you have little knowledge about the reviews and the music that gets reviewed there. I didn't understand all the emo jokes on the parody page considering Pitchfork bashes emo bands every chance they get. I got a chuckle from the Radiohead parody reviews but that's it.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I didn't find it that funny myself. It was sort of clever, but what I think is funny is that you three obviously took offense to it and say it isn't funny because it's not an "acurate" portrayal of pitchfork, the bands they review, and the people that read pitchfork. Which is one of the most absurd arguments I've ever seen. I think they made fun of several things at once, using Pitchfork as a springboard, because it is a well-known internet site they can parody.

It all really goes back to the zing about how your whole scene is pretending to be more intelligent and obscure about music than the next guy and I think that's right on. The way you, Ryan and Sean carry yourself on this board is amusing to me. You guys are so pompous about knowing obscure shit, when it's about as impressive as me knowing that Willie Gault played wide reciever for the '85 Bears. </font>

SG Boi
04-21-2004, 05:47 AM
yeah, pitchfork's my favorite page on the internet

Where are you getting that I'm defending Pitchfork? I'm not, I just think that "parody" is shitty and I don't like SA and I'm sure if I searched I could find plenty of posts I've made saying that.

I think there are a lot of awful reviews on pitchfork, and I generally use it as a guide for release dates and some news. With the exception of a couple reviewers on the site, I don't give a shit about what Pitchfork says.

The idea that I care about being cool and obscure is complete bullshit and it pisses me off

i'm the furthest thing from being cool. I'm really enthusiastic about music and finding out about. If I wanted to listen to music to be elite and cool I wouldn't try so hard to get people like you douchebags to listen to it and appreciate it like I do, I'd keep it to myself and revel in the fact that I know more, but I don't

ugh

carter
04-21-2004, 08:23 AM
takeaways:

- Pitchfork is bad

- The spoof was awful

And those in agreeance that pitchfork sucks; my favorite is when they try to review hip hop albums...hilarious

Mayfuck
04-21-2004, 10:23 AM

It all really goes back to the zing about how your whole scene is pretending to be more intelligent and obscure about music than the next guy and I think that's right on. The way you, Ryan and Sean carry yourself on this board is amusing to me. You guys are so pompous about knowing obscure shit, when it's about as impressive as me knowing that Willie Gault played wide reciever for the '85 Bears. </font>

I didn't take offense to it. I'm trying to tell you it wasn't funny. Sub Pop did a spoof of Pitchfork a while ago and THAT was funny.

The problem is this is just a microcosm of a larger picture: People like you who assume because some music obscure it must be bad, and the assumption that we're somehow gloating about it. Could you possibly, for one second from your narrow-mindedness, even consider that we liking this kind of music is a result of searching and digging up rare music due to the fact that we're music fanatics and we like it a lot and we desire to find something new everyday? Sure we poke fun at other people's taste, but it's just to be assholes which is no different than being an asshole for fun on the general chat or SP boards. I don't care about the Pitchfork spoof or Pitchfork itself, but I'm jsut saying the general attitude on this board toward people into indie music is ignorant and makes you look bad.

SG Boi
04-21-2004, 10:24 AM
I seriously don't understand why people who listen to "obscure" music have to have some sinister motive for doing so. Why do you people not think that someone can't just happen to really love music and try to seek out stuff that's harder to find because they might like it, and not because they want to impress people? god

SG Boi
04-21-2004, 10:24 AM
heh, nice timing

Isle
04-21-2004, 10:45 AM
I seriously don't understand why people who listen to "obscure" music have to have some sinister motive for doing so. Why do you people not think that someone can't just happen to really love music and try to seek out stuff that's harder to find because they might like it, and not because they want to impress people? god

that would never happen. even if someone did go looking for obscure music just cause they might like it, they also know that by doing so their indie cock will balloon so they have x2 the reason to do it. they're indie cocks before they leave the house.

ZackZ
04-21-2004, 11:02 AM
I only noticed a few emo parodies. Well, I suppose the first two reviews could be construed as emo, but most of the parody was not based on emo.

I think they went off on Radiohead because, if you have read them, the real Radiohead reviews are VERY stupid. Notice that all the Radiohead reviews are under "Attempts at Coherent Reviews."

Now go ahead and read the review of Kid A and tell me it isn't a stinking pile of shit written by the exact person from the group they are mocking?

ProgressChrome
04-21-2004, 11:18 AM
I read pitchfork all the time, but still found this parody to be quite hilarious and fairly accurate. Lighten up guys, if they did a netphoria parody I'm sure I'd find that funny as well, where many sensitive people would be offended.

Mr. Rhinoceros
04-21-2004, 11:54 AM

I didn't take offense to it. I'm trying to tell you it wasn't funny. Sub Pop did a spoof of Pitchfork a while ago and THAT was funny.

The problem is this is just a microcosm of a larger picture: People like you who assume because some music obscure it must be bad, and the assumption that we're somehow gloating about it. Could you possibly, for one second from your narrow-mindedness, even consider that we liking this kind of music is a result of searching and digging up rare music due to the fact that we're music fanatics and we like it a lot and we desire to find something new everyday? Sure we poke fun at other people's taste, but it's just to be assholes which is no different than being an asshole for fun on the general chat or SP boards. I don't care about the Pitchfork spoof or Pitchfork itself, but I'm jsut saying the general attitude on this board toward people into indie music is ignorant and makes you look bad. <font color=#007AAA face="courier new">True, true. I think the assumption that I think obscure music sucks is untrue. I just don't mention how much I love it, because really it doesn't hold water with other, more established things.

I think it's good to be into music, but to be like Ryan Patrick and say that you know the most about music when none of you even really play music is sad.</font>

SG Boi
04-21-2004, 12:20 PM
i'm not in a band or anything, but I most certainly do play music

SG Boi
04-21-2004, 12:21 PM
ryan and julio both make music

they use a computer to do so, but that's just as valid as anything else

killed radio star
04-21-2004, 12:59 PM
i don't know why they bothered, since sub pop's parody has been out for at least a few months.

DeviousJ
04-21-2004, 01:02 PM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I think it's good to be into music, but to be like Ryan Patrick and say that you know the most about music when none of you even really play music is sad.</font>

So people who play music automatically know more about music than people who don't? Come on...

Mr. Rhinoceros
04-21-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by DeviousJ

So people who play music automatically know more about music than people who don't? Come on...

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I think it helps.</font>

DeviousJ
04-21-2004, 02:42 PM

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I think it helps.</font>

Sure it can help, but I wouldn't call it a pre-requisite. It also depends on what you class as 'playing'...

relaxor!
04-21-2004, 11:02 PM
Geez. Calling something pretentious is a really weak cop-out way of reviewing something. If the best you can do to criticize something you don't like is to call it pretentious, which is really more of just a comment, in my opinion, than you haven't judged the music very fairly by listening to the content itself. I mean, when Tommy came out people accused it of being Pretentious as an excuse to not have to devote any brain energy into figuring it out. To that Pete Townsend just said something like, 'Ok that's fine if it's pretentious to you but to me it's just at the right level. Judge the music itself more objectively.'
Not to say that it can't be a winning adjective in a series, but to have it stand alone as a means to cut down a piece of art is just dumb and lazy.
Okay, ho hum. That's all. Please nobody respond with a link to the pretentious entry on dictionary.com because I know that there is such a thing. Thanks anyway.

Irrelevant
04-21-2004, 11:23 PM
I think it's good to be into music, but to be like Ryan Patrick and say that you know the most about music when none of you even really play music is sad.</font>

hmm, how do you know i don't play music? if i was in Sum 41 would i know more?

Sapphire
04-22-2004, 10:52 AM

hmm, how do you know i don't play music? if i was in Sum 41 would i know more?

No.

Less.

if you are
04-22-2004, 11:31 AM
that's some hilarious shit :)

anyone defending pitchfork is an emo pretentious bastard

sledge
04-22-2004, 01:35 PM
yeah, pitchfork's my favorite page on the internet

I don't give a shit about what Pitchfork says.