View Full Version : poorly timed rock careers


spa ced
04-19-2004, 12:11 PM
I don't know about you but I've heard this phrase come up a few times every so often and I'm wondering if anyone here can provide examples of bands with poorly timed rock careers.

cap'n jazz
04-19-2004, 12:26 PM
what a shitty phrase. ROCK IS UNIVERSAL

ZackZ
04-19-2004, 12:49 PM
I don't even know what this means.

Isle
04-19-2004, 03:21 PM
sure it's true, there are also very well-timed rock careers, the pumpkins for example. i can't really think of many badly-timed ones right now but they do happen.

if you are
04-19-2004, 03:26 PM
hmm.. if it wasn't for nirvana, maybe none of us ever would have heard the pumpkins. they prepared the airwaves for the world of grunge/alternative rock.. hence pearl jam, alice in chains, smashing pumpkins, candlebox etc. etc.

Isle
04-19-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by if you are
hmm.. if it wasn't for nirvana, maybe none of us ever would have heard the pumpkins. they prepared the airwaves for the world of grunge/alternative rock.. hence pearl jam, alice in chains, smashing pumpkins, candlebox etc. etc.

true, but thats exactly my point: sp had a wel timed career.

if you are
04-19-2004, 05:23 PM
yes, i agree, they had a well-timed career

any Hum fans? i heard that they ended up getting dropped from their label.. they had one big hit (Stars) on the radio, and that was IT. they were a fantastic band, but they never hit it big like the pumpkins. i'm not sure if radio ever would have been ready for that style of music, but it's basically a necessity for there to be a certain accepted musical climate for a band to get famous, because airplay is determined by the popular music of the time.. of course with the internet, this is surely changing more every day.

spa ced
04-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by if you are


any Hum fans? i heard that they ended up getting dropped from their label.. they had one big hit (Stars) on the radio, and that was IT. they were a fantastic band, but they never hit it big like the pumpkins. i'm not sure if radio ever would have been ready for that style of music, but it's basically a necessity for there to be a certain accepted musical climate for a band to get famous, because airplay is determined by the popular music of the time.. of course with the internet, this is surely changing more every day.

Never heard of em.

if you are
04-19-2004, 10:08 PM
haha

Injektilo
04-20-2004, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by if you are
yes, i agree, they had a well-timed career

any Hum fans? i heard that they ended up getting dropped from their label.. they had one big hit (Stars) on the radio, and that was IT. they were a fantastic band, but they never hit it big like the pumpkins. i'm not sure if radio ever would have been ready for that style of music, but it's basically a necessity for there to be a certain accepted musical climate for a band to get famous, because airplay is determined by the popular music of the time.. of course with the internet, this is surely changing more every day.



I can't find my Downward is Heavenward CD, and I really really want to listen to it and take it travelling with me...

if you are
04-20-2004, 12:27 PM
downward is heavenward is such an amazing cd.. definitely one of the best of the 90's, but people don't even know about it.

Nimrod
04-20-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by if you are
downward is heavenward is such an amazing cd.. definitely one of the best of the 90's, but people don't even know about it. Or maybe they do know about it and think it's shitty.

if you are
04-20-2004, 03:58 PM
that would make them really dumb.

Liquid-J
04-20-2004, 04:41 PM
the darkness?

Boycott Graceland
04-20-2004, 05:50 PM
harvey danger. their label kind of fell apart after their big hit single, and they went on hiatus in 2001, and sean - the lead singer - played second in command in the long winters. HD's two albums are fucking incredible. they'd probably be an indie rock staple had they not had misfortune after misfortune.

they're playing their first show in about three years tomorrow night.

spa ced
04-20-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Injektilo




I can't find my Downward is Heavenward CD, and I really really want to listen to it and take it travelling with me...

Oh man I can't believe I didn't mention this in the other thread where you asked to recommend travelling music.
I used to listen to Downward is Heavenward on trips to Mexico when we used to go visit family there. Hearing the intro of Afternoon with the Axolotls while watching the serene landscape all around was pretty amazing. I hope you find your copy!
I have burned copies. If only I could get one to you...

spa ced
04-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by if you are
downward is heavenward is such an amazing cd.. definitely one of the best of the 90's, but people don't even know about it.

you r special :)

Okay i'll address your question/statement seriously now.
I think Downward is Heavenward was a poorly timed released album. It wasn't received well by the public because no one was really listening to grungish pop rock anymore. The climate had changed and bands like Godsmack (ew) were starting to become more popular. 1998 saw some great releases that weren't very commercially successful. The few I can think of off the top of my head are:
Hum - Downward is Heavenward
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Sunny Day Real Estate - How It Feels To Be Something On

if you are
04-21-2004, 12:28 AM
yeah.. i guess at least people knew Adore existed though.. the hardcore fans went out and listened to it. There would be more Hum fans despite the musical climate of the time if they had heard of the band..