View Full Version : ever walked out on a headlining act?


Boycott Graceland
04-18-2004, 09:51 PM
i did last night. squarepusher in LA. he had 15-20 strobe lights AIMED AT THE AUDIENCE, flashing at vomit-inducing speeds nonstop. the boring, boring, boring techno they played for 45 minutes at full fucking blast between and before every act also didn't help the situation. we left after the 3rd or 4th song. his rocking 6-string bass solos couldn't even redeem the show.

Egadsman
04-18-2004, 09:57 PM
When I went to Robert Cray's concert, but onyl wanted to see the openner, J.J. Cale. So did a third of the audience, too.

distance
04-18-2004, 10:02 PM
i walked out on primus, but it was not because of the band -- it was because of security. i would have most likely gotten thrown out anyway. i went across town and went to the p-funk show. left that early, again, not because of the band.. we were just tired.

i walked out before even having the chance to see the white stripes. glad i did.

distance
04-18-2004, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by Boycott Graceland
i did last night. squarepusher in LA. he had 15-20 strobe lights AIMED AT THE AUDIENCE, flashing at vomit-inducing speeds nonstop. the boring, boring, boring techno they played for 45 minutes at full fucking blast between and before every act also didn't help the situation. we left after the 3rd or 4th song. his rocking 6-string bass solos couldn't even redeem the show.

and as a direct response to this, unlike my other post.
i was really unsure of seeing squarepusher. i didn't get a good report from my friend that went to the toronto show last summer. but i've heard good things about older live shows. i've been waiting to see him since 97 and this tour was my first real chance, however it doesn't look like i'm going to be able to make it. i was left with the decision of seeing tortoise once or seeing squarepusher once and i am seeing tortoise because i know i will enjoy that show.
since i haven't liked most of the stuff after big loada, i was thinking i wouldn't ilke the show, but i wanted to see for myself to be sure.

i really hate when bands have lights aimed at the audience/that sweep over the audience.

Ghetto_Squirrel
04-18-2004, 10:18 PM
When Alex/Peabody and I saw Mogwai, we left before the encore. They were boring.

Ozzy

Puddle of Mudd headlined a concert festival I attended in high school, and they were, as expected, god-awful.

Nothing/everything
04-19-2004, 06:38 AM
i walked out during Karate, because i was feeling very sick. I trashed the toilet when i got home :D. Luckely they came back some months later.

spring
04-19-2004, 06:49 AM
i found it really funny last summer when there was that huge Rolling Stones concert in Toronto (SARS benefit, whatever), that about 50% of the audience left right before or during the first few minutes of the Stones' act. I think it was 'cause ACDC were so fucking great, seeing the Stones would've been anti-climactic.

barden
04-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Walked out just before James.

I got bored, and dont like him enough to keep me around.

Was only really there for some supporting South African bands.

mpp
04-19-2004, 07:09 AM
i think kid rock headlined a show in chicago a few years back when Zwan played

i didn't even stick around to give him a chance

Caine Walker
04-19-2004, 08:33 AM
lol yeah, i remember that. i think about <i>half</i> of the audience left after Zwan.

Blank
04-19-2004, 09:38 AM
The Vines and The Thrills

Nimrod
04-19-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Egadsman
When I went to Robert Cray's concert, but onyl wanted to see the openner, J.J. Cale. So did a third of the audience, too. That sucks, Robert Cray is good.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, crescentfresh and I saw N.E.R.D. and left before the headliners Black Eyed Peas took the stage.

bonsor
04-19-2004, 09:47 AM
my friend and I walked out before Elefant played an encore. Everytime there wasn't a chord change on something besides beat one, I came closer to absolute insanity.

sppunk
04-19-2004, 09:56 AM
Many times.

Most noteable, Tool.

guz
04-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by sppunk
Many times.

Most noteable, Tool. you went to see the Melvins? King Crimson? Tricky? Fantomas? Meshuggah?

Egadsman
04-19-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod
That sucks, Robert Cray is good.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago, crescentfresh and I saw N.E.R.D. and left before the headliners Black Eyed Peas took the stage.

He may be good, but just as Spring said, it would have been anti-climactic. In fact, my father and his girl-friend went and only stayed for a few of Cray's songs for the same reason.

machinaddict
04-19-2004, 11:08 AM
Nope. Concerts cost too much money and I go to so few that I pick and choose the ones that I really want to see.

smiling politely
04-19-2004, 11:09 AM
At the 1996 Smashing Pumpkins concert at Maple Leaf Gardens, I walked out before they played Silverfuck because I had read several online "fan" reviews of their tour that said that Silverfuck was long and annoying. I was 12 years old and new to both the internet and Pumpkins fandom, and I thought these people knew what they were talking about. I have a video of that concert now, but fuck that was stupid of me.

:)

Jaggie
04-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Ghetto_Squirrel
When Alex/Peabody and I saw Mogwai, we left before the encore. They were boring.

Wow.

Salena Child
04-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by machinaddict
Nope. Concerts cost too much money and I go to so few that I pick and choose the ones that I really want to see.

spa ced
04-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Ghetto_Squirrel
When Alex/Peabody and I saw Mogwai, we left before the encore. They were boring.



Man...that's really....lame.

spa ced
04-19-2004, 12:05 PM
I know we walked out on Rainer Maria...
I'm sure there are other bands I'm just not remembering them right now.

bowmaan
04-19-2004, 02:55 PM
I walked out on New Found Glory, Good Charlotte, MXPX because I only wanted to see Hot Rod Circuit.

Brute Squad
04-19-2004, 03:00 PM
I recently walked out on the Liars. They really sucked. The album they put out two years ago rocks, but silly me - I hadn't checked out the new album yet, which blows.

This really makes me look forward to Squarepusher on Wednesday. I wonder how good Antone's PA is.... He should just play at the Mercury(yeah, so they call it the Parish now, but the name sucks)

Irrelevant
04-19-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Fogelsong
I recently walked out on the Liars. They really sucked. The album they put out two years ago rocks, but silly me - I hadn't checked out the new album yet, which blows.

aw, it's too bad you didn't stay and tape it for me. easily one of the five best shows i've seen.

tootsie
04-19-2004, 03:13 PM
we walked out of a no doubt show a couple years ago. i told the security guy that a bunch of kids were going to rush the GA area (i mean its not like it takes a brain surgeon, they were all lined up at the top of the stairs). he just looked at me funny then walked. so of course the kids rushed. then more rushed. and yeah i didnt feel safe (at a no doubt show for chrissakes) so we left.

2Marlon2Brando
04-19-2004, 03:38 PM
i went to see ester drang, and then walked out two songs into American Analog's set. i didn't care for them much, especially after seeing ester drang.

i went to see the rival schools and walked out before international noise conspiracy. but then i saw them at a later date.

audiopumpkin10
04-19-2004, 03:47 PM
i walked out on Jumbo after about 4 songs. my friends and i just wanted to see Los Abandoned and Pastilla anywho...

Nothing/everything
04-20-2004, 01:31 AM
something i forgot about when i replied yesterday: About a year ago in Amsterdam, motorpsycho had several people running, because of the sheer volume Bent Saether was producing with some bass feedback. Everyone came back after that song though.

mellon_c0llie
04-20-2004, 06:35 PM
blues travelor...

yeah the pumpkins opened for them.

they did play "imagine" which was cool.

Meursault
04-20-2004, 07:27 PM
i walked out of a limp bizkit concert. i hadnt want to go but i got dragged out by friends. i dont even recall if i actually stayed until they came out, i think i might've left during redman

sppunk
04-20-2004, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by guz
you went to see the Melvins? King Crimson? Tricky? Fantomas? Meshuggah?

I can't even remember who opened - but it was a solo show in Boston Commons many years ago. It was a local band that my friend dragged me to, but I refused to waste my time on those tool's from Tool.

Quagmire
04-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by spring
i found it really funny last summer when there was that huge Rolling Stones concert in Toronto (SARS benefit, whatever), that about 50% of the audience left right before or during the first few minutes of the Stones' act. I think it was 'cause ACDC were so fucking great, seeing the Stones would've been anti-climactic.

i saw the stones. i thought they were amazing

Quagmire
04-20-2004, 09:18 PM
i walked out on blink 182 after green day and jimmy eat world played.

mirrar
04-20-2004, 09:38 PM
nickleback. they headlined a show i wanted to see a couple other bands play at and they were un fucking bearable.

spa ced
04-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Andrew Fogelsong
I recently walked out on the Liars. They really sucked. The album they put out two years ago rocks, but silly me - I hadn't checked out the new album yet, which blows.

This really makes me look forward to Squarepusher on Wednesday. I wonder how good Antone's PA is.... He should just play at the Mercury(yeah, so they call it the Parish now, but the name sucks)


Fuck. I really should have gone to the Liars.
I love the new album.

Yeah I like The Mercury's sound the most of any venue in Austin.
Oh and I agree with you, the Mercury was a better title. Fuck the Parish.

Brute Squad
04-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Irrelevant


aw, it's too bad you didn't stay and tape it for me. easily one of the five best shows i've seen.

I don't tape anymore. My dat deck is dead. It doesn't recognize tapes anymore. It just makes weird noises now... ho hum.

El Savior
04-22-2004, 07:14 AM
mushroomhead (went to the show for Dog Fashion Disco)
earth crisis (went to the show for converge)
mudvayne (got bored)
ozzy (wanted to beat the traffic)
janes addiction (just way to fuckin burnt out)
eve 6 (went to the show for VAST)
george clinton (4 fucking hours? get outta here)

pink_ribbon_scars
04-22-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Jaggie


Wow.

If they're talking about the show I think they're talking about, I agree but personally feel bad about agreeing. I really really like Mogwai, and I really like Happy Songs, but I thought that the concert that they made out of the new material was dull. I've seen them 2 other times before and was mesmerized. Maybe it was just a bad show? OH WAIT, my boyfriend and I were just talking about this show a few nights ago and he told me they were having equipment problems that made them unable to play some of the songs that everyone really wanted to hear, and fucked with the other songs as well. Pshew, I feel better now that I remember that there was a real reason for the show to be bad.

pink_ribbon_scars
04-22-2004, 12:07 PM
I left early during The White Stripes on New Year's Eve, partially because I had enjoyed myself enough watching The Flaming Lips, partially because it sounded AWFUL.

I, with mpp, left a concert early (after Zwan) in order to miss Kid Rock.

I also think I probably walked out on Cat Power, but I sat through at least an hour of her drunken/drugged out bullshit before giving up. The next night she played a perfect show but I wasn't there. At least I got to see one of her legendary "shows."

Mayfuck
04-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by pink_ribbon_scars
I left early during The White Stripes on New Year's Eve, partially because I had enjoyed myself enough watching The Flaming Lips, partially because it sounded AWFUL.

I, with mpp, left a concert early (after Zwan) in order to miss Kid Rock.

I also think I probably walked out on Cat Power, but I sat through at least an hour of her drunken/drugged out bullshit before giving up. The next night she played a perfect show but I wasn't there. At least I got to see one of her legendary "shows."

You're silly.

pink_ribbon_scars
04-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck


You're silly.

Indeed.