View Full Version : APC show was pretty cool.

Eulogy
04-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Well the day of the show there was an interview with Billy in the Sun Times....and he talked about Billy Corgan. He said he probably has seven different therapists telling him seven different things, and that he just seems really sad. It made me giggle. heh.

But yes, the show. The Mars Volta....I hadn't heard a whole lot, and I wasn't that impressed. I mean, they're good. They're definitely really good. But I don't think you should play a set like that when you're the opening band. People aren't there to see you. Everything just sort of wandered around aimlessly. Nothing had any direction to it. It was mildly entertaining...but it wasn't what I came to see so I just kind of wanted it to be over pretty soon after it started. :-/

Before APC came on I decided that since I was tired, I wasn't gonna fight anyone, and I was just gonna kind of fade back to the back of the floor. Those plans changed when they hit the stage though. They opened with Vanishing...I thought it was pretty cool. I'm pretty sure the setlist was the same it's been on every other show. Or really close anyway. But yeah...so people kept trying to push me out of the way...but somehow I always managed to make them push me forward. And so eventually I ended up at the very front. It was nice. Everyone smelled terrible. Some guy with dirty braids was right in front of me for a while. Eggggggggggh.

Apparently it was Maynard's birthday...and so everyone sang "Happy Birthday." He didn't respond to that at all. heh. They talked quite a bit about James, since it was in Chicago at all. Maynard made a joke about how he thought the Pumpkins were a grunge band from Seattle. heh. James sang this song....that everyone sang a long to, but I didn't recognize. ha. Then later he sang "I Want it That Way." That was interesting. He looks very much like a woman with his bleached hair. That's ok though because he is James Iha and he can do anything.

I get really annoyed when people yell stupid shit at shows. For example "PLAY JUDITH!!!!!!!" SHUT THE FUCK UP. THEY'RE OBVIOUSLY GOING TO PLAY JUDITH. Stupid pieces of shit. And I can do without the "OMG MAYNARD YOU ROCK!!!" "BILLY YOURE HOT!!" ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

But yeah. It was a good show.

zimzumprincess
04-18-2004, 12:54 PM
Lucky you got to see them on his birthday :p .. I would have wished him a damn well good one.

I saw them a couple times last week.... first full show since 2000. Holy christ. I honestly can't say more than you know how I am about Maynard... and my love/swhatever for him was... expanded more that i thought it was ever possible. I couldn't stand thru some of it. With both shows, I heard Orestes, Rose, Thinking of You, Brena, and Thomas. I wanted to hear Rose + Thinking of You, and the other three, I wasn't even expecting. They're just so beautiful, the band, their music.. and his voice, dear God his voice, and my being in the same room with him. It just makes me mad to think about it.

mirrar
04-18-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Eulogy
People aren't there to see you. i would have been. and i know many people who enjoy TMV a lot more than apc and went to the shows for them.

neopryn
04-18-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by zimzumprincess
Lucky you got to see them on his birthday :p .. I would have wished him a damn well good one.

I saw them a couple times last week.... first full show since 2000. Holy christ. I honestly can't say more than you know how I am about Maynard... and my love/swhatever for him was... expanded more that i thought it was ever possible. I couldn't stand thru some of it. With both shows, I heard Orestes, Rose, Thinking of You, Brena, and Thomas. I wanted to hear Rose + Thinking of You, and the other three, I wasn't even expecting. They're just so beautiful, the band, their music.. and his voice, dear God his voice, and my being in the same room with him. It just makes me mad to think about it. ooook...enjoy psychotherapy

Eulogy
04-18-2004, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Mirror_Untrue
i would have been. and i know many people who enjoy TMV a lot more than apc and went to the shows for them.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. But the majority isn't.

Don't open for a band if you don't want to be an opening band.