View Full Version : The Long Winters now a 3 piece

Electron52
04-16-2004, 06:16 PM
Does anyone know what happened to the Keyboardist from the Long Winters? He is not in the band anymore apparently. I saw them last night and they said "he ate too much keyboard chow." This band needs the keys man.

AndItsAllGone
04-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Why do you think there has to be some underlying, unsaid cause for his leaving? Is it entirely outside the realm of possibility that he actually ate too much keyboard chow, and that's why he left the band?

sarasvati
04-16-2004, 09:51 PM
i bet its because he actually ate too much keyboard chow.

lucky_13
04-16-2004, 10:33 PM
that's sean from harvey danger. he left the long winters to do more stuff with them.

sweet17
04-16-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by lucky_13
that's sean from harvey danger. he left the long winters to do more stuff with them. yup. he has rejoined the long winters. it was amicable, and i wouldn't be surprised to see sean do some songs for the next album. how do they sound as a three piece? did you happen to tape it?

AndItsAllGone
04-17-2004, 06:20 AM
that's sean from harvey danger. he left the long winters to do more stuff with them.

Whatever, you crazy conspiracy theorist.

Nothing/everything
04-17-2004, 12:37 PM
these replies confuse me.

my 2 cents: there's no long winters without keys.

lucky_13
04-17-2004, 01:53 PM
sean left the long winters to rejoin harvey danger. john roderick posted about it on the forums on longwinters.com

Boycott Graceland
04-17-2004, 02:07 PM
www.harveydanger.com has info about the band finally getting back together. they're booking west coast shows as we speak. the only ones announced so far are ones in washington and san francisco.

sweet17
04-17-2004, 02:41 PM
john roderick posted about it on the forums on longwinters.com

Originally posted by John Roderick
Soo... the clever ones have already deduced that it is physically impossible for Sean Nelson to both rock out with Harvey Danger at the Crocodile and do the same with the Long Winters in the Midwest simultaneously. This is true.

Sean's been working on his own various projects the entire time he's been in the Long Winters, including numerous writing and acting gigs in addition to writing songs and recording demos of numerous different musical concepts. He's made a Harry Nilsson covers record, a techno/dance record, (I kid you not), a piano-rock record, (with members of Centro-Matic), and assorted other demos all within the last couple of years. I'm not revealing too much when I say that our man is both incredibly prolific and also prodigiously talented, and yet he's not released any of this material for reasons of his own, and has remained a dedicated Long Winter through thick and thin.

But this winter he had occasion to be reunited with his Harvey Danger bandmates, Jeff Lin and Aaron Huffman- initially just to play around and work on songs in a casual way- which quickly reaffirmed in them all that between them there is a special chemistry that is greater than the sum of its parts. In short, they felt the old magic once again and fell into writing and planning with an excited fervor.

Over in The Long Winters, we always knew that Sean was far too vigorous a force to be contained for long. Fire in a bottle. A kitten in a microwave. Smoke on the water. Reuniting with Harvey Danger had an inescapable logic- we were just as excited about it as they were- and we cheered their reunion as friends and fans.

When Sean revealed that the Harveys were planning on re-entering the studio to record new material, the Long Winters were finalizing the arrangements for three solid months of touring this spring. A US tour with the Pernice Brothers, followed by our second European tour, followed by an appearance at Sasquatch Festival as the kick-off to another US tour with the Decemberists in June. All this plus the recording of a new record. There wasn't really a moment to spare, not even, (in Ericís case) to comb our hair. We had a brand new drummer in the personage of our old friend Michael Schorr and we were working, dare I say, feverishly.

It was always the policy of the band to encourage and fertilize everyone's other projects, even when it conflicted with touring and recording, but with so many things happening in such a short time span it was clearly impractical, not to say unfeasible, to schedule everything for the middle of April. Nevertheless Sean felt that, now that the "iron" of Harvey Danger was again "hot" that they would like to "strike".

So it is with sadness, tempered with joy, that we have to announce Sean's departure from the Long Winters. In wishing Harvey Danger the best and most continued success we are obliged to lose him as a member of the Long Winters. Lose a member and gain a great band.

We experimented briefly with finding a replacement for Sean, touring the West Coast with the addition of Darren Loucas on guitar, and though Darren is an excellent musician and an excellent man, it became clear to us that dealing with the departure of Sean Nelson would not be as simple as just replacing him with another fine musician. In fact, as the weeks wore on, we found ourselves retrenching, working on new music- just as a three-piece- and reconnecting with the music we make and the reasons we do this. Eric started to sing more and more, we were locking in with Michael, and the songs we were writing took on new and varied character.

So here we are at the bottom of this long-winded announcement, not so much marking the departure of Sean Nelson but declaring a new, smaller, tighter Long Winters, just three of us, preparing to bring a different show your way this spring. We would not pretend that something is not lost when you subtract the humor, vitality and talent of Sean Nelson from our equation, but in the practice space and in the studio we are discovering that something has been gained too, in the form of the band playing together with more focus and excitement than ever before. We'll find a good piano player this spring, but until then we're the fuckin' Who!

Electron52
04-19-2004, 01:10 AM
wow john's stage act is really different from his 'written act' about sean. he made it sound more like they got rid of him than he had too much other stuff going on. sometimes john's sarcastic stage banter is (purposely?) misleading. Anyway, the band sounded good, but so weak without the keys. "Scared Straight" just doesnt rock as much without the fake organs and shit. i hope they find someone fast.