View Full Version : did you watch that Nirvana special on MTV?

Helena Handbasket
04-06-2004, 02:51 AM
"3 years forever" or something like that. They played more Pumpkins songs in the bkgrd than they did Nirvana songs.

Hmm.. I wonder if Billy had killed himself in '94 if Billy and the Pumpkins would be looked at today like Kurt and Nirvana are. Seriously. Really think about it.

GrungeGuy
04-06-2004, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Helena Handbasket
"3 years forever" or something like that. They played more Pumpkins songs in the bkgrd than they did Nirvana songs.

Hmm.. I wonder if Billy had killed himself in '94 if Billy and the Pumpkins would be looked at today like Kurt and Nirvana are. Seriously. Really think about it.
I think he would have been remembered the same way people remember Brad Knowl or Shannon Hoon, as a footnote to the greater impact the other bands had.

Rockin' Cherub
04-06-2004, 06:52 AM
andrew wood, layne stayley...

christian zombie vampires
04-06-2004, 02:19 PM
I think it's safe to say if he hadn't died he wouldn't be such a legend and probably seen as highly as Bolly now or Eddie Vedder. (unless maybe Nirvana broke up and never released another album)

Rockin' Cherub
04-06-2004, 03:28 PM
if bolly would have died after releasing mcis he'd be god! just imagine: no MACHINA! haha, and the last song on his last record was farewell and goodnight! what the hell...

ProgressChrome
04-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by thrillhouse
(unless maybe Nirvana broke up and never released another album)

which probably would have happened if he had lived. i know for sure he was on his way to a divorce.

MstrGhost
04-07-2004, 10:15 AM
And if he died after Adore he'd be another Ian Curtis :rolleyes:

The Omega Concern
04-07-2004, 03:49 PM
I didn't see this MTV special, but the VH-1 one that focused on the "grunge" era. Top Ten Grunge Albums or something... As lame as it was trying to rope in any band with distortion from Seattle as grunge, the bands and stories and music were all really good.

Not a single mention of the Pumpkins as I recall.

wounded
04-07-2004, 09:54 PM
pumpkins really weren't grunge, but they were in the "alternative" crowd, which grunge was in

ZackZ
04-07-2004, 10:18 PM
If Kurt Cobain didn't die, Dave Grohl wouldn't have a career now.

sledge
04-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ
If Kurt Cobain didn't die, Dave Grohl wouldn't have a career now.

Zack strikes again!

Nimrod
04-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by thrillhouse
I think it's safe to say if he hadn't died he wouldn't be such a legend and probably seen as highly as Bolly now or Eddie Vedder. (unless maybe Nirvana broke up and never released another album) That's nuts. BC was never as "popular" as Cobain or Vedder.

Nimrod
04-08-2004, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by The Omega Concern
I didn't see this MTV special, but the VH-1 one that focused on the "grunge" era. Top Ten Grunge Albums or something... As lame as it was trying to rope in any band with distortion from Seattle as grunge, the bands and stories and music were all really good.

Not a single mention of the Pumpkins as I recall. The Pumpkins weren't a "grunge" band.

Nimrod
04-08-2004, 12:44 PM
If Kurt Cobain didn't die, Courtney Lovel wouldn't have a career now. Fixed. Grohl had recorded the Pocketwatch demos (which became the first Foo Fighters album) before Nirvana had even released In Utero.

wounded
04-08-2004, 04:26 PM
Nirvana would have broken up and foo fighters still would have been formed

ZackZ
04-08-2004, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod
Fixed. Grohl had recorded the Pocketwatch demos (which became the first Foo Fighters album) before Nirvana had even released In Utero.

Yes but the album didn't come out until 1995. Which is after Kurt died. Which is why people bought it.

Nimrod
04-09-2004, 12:56 PM

Yes but the album didn't come out until 1995. Which is after Kurt died. Which is why people bought it. No, you're wrong. If that was the reason, Novoselic's two bands may have sold more that 17 albums.

ZackZ
04-09-2004, 01:05 PM
No, you're wrong. If that was the reason, Novoselic's two bands may have sold more that 17 albums.

See, he messed up. He should have switched to drums. He could have made MILLIONS.

machinaddict
04-09-2004, 01:55 PM

Yes but the album didn't come out until 1995. Which is after Kurt died. Which is why people bought it.
No, people bought the album because it was good.

Nimrod
04-09-2004, 05:56 PM

See, he messed up. He should have switched to drums. He could have made MILLIONS. What?

Ok, you're a troll then. You don't make any sense.

robbanarchist
04-11-2004, 10:28 PM
ha.
anyone whos played guitar for more than a week or has ever listened to another guitar album knows cobain was a bad guitartist. i dont get why people think hes talented. his lyrics arent personal, unlike ian curtis. and who gives a poop that hes dead/??? noone i know.
life sucks that way

radagast
04-11-2004, 11:57 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/opinion/08MOOR.html

it does concern Cobain, and is written by Thurston Moore, of Sonic Youth noteriety. I think it's a very good op-ed piece.

bonsor
04-12-2004, 10:38 PM
Fixed. Grohl had recorded the Pocketwatch demos (which became the first Foo Fighters album) before Nirvana had even released In Utero. wait. the demos became the album, or did they rerecord all the songs?

DeviousJ
04-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by robbanarchist
ha.
anyone whos played guitar for more than a week or has ever listened to another guitar album knows cobain was a bad guitartist.

This again...

ZackZ
04-13-2004, 12:42 AM
What?

Ok, you're a troll then. You don't make any sense.

I was being faceitous.

First Foo Fighters album = grunge. Nirvana = grunge. (At least in a mainstream sense.)

All the albums after the first Foo Fighters album got more and more pop. Obviously Grohl cashed in on the grunge craze but then was smart enough to realize it was over. Good business sense, that guy has.

And don't give me any shit about him playing drums for any other band. Drums don't mean shit. He doesn't write shitty pop songs on drums for other bands.

Nimrod
04-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by ******
wait. the demos became the album, or did they rerecord all the songs? I believe all of the tracks were re-recorded (though some of the demos wound up as B Sides).

It wasn't a "they" at that time either - Grohl plays every instrument on the album.

Nimrod
04-13-2004, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by RockLobster

That's right. Grohl re-recorded the songs.
He even wrote some of those songs durring his days in scream. He did.

If you've heard the demos, you'll agree they're amazingly close (not quality wise, but musically) to the finals.