View Full Version : On this whole "BILLY FOUND RELIGION, HE SUCKS NOW" subject...

BeautifulLoser
04-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Why?

no one will answer me in the other thread. What is so fucking bad about it?

And he didn't "Press his views" on anyone... he made a fucking web journal post about it. He didn't tell anyone to go find God, he didn't tell anyone they were going to hell... he said he found religion, and he thinks it's great.

Get off your fucking high horses.

Rockin' Cherub
04-02-2004, 12:41 PM
everything is good as long as he's gonna make an awesome solo record!

TimRoss
04-02-2004, 12:46 PM
I think that my problem with Corgan isn't that he's found religion. I don't mind the Zwan album. I don't play it a lot, but when I do I enjoy most of it. I certainly play it more than Machina, or any SP as of late, for that matter.

And you're right in that he's not pushing any specific religion on his website, and he's only posting his thoughts. True.

What is disturbing to me is that he's wrapping himself in his non-descript religion while he trashes his former bandmates as being either a "mean-spirited drug addict," or "immoral." He then calls someone one of the greatest men I know who, at least in the past, was present while someone else OD'ed and died while taking drugs with him, and heavily rumored to enjoy casual sex with others while he's married to another woman.

The problem? Most major religions, in the broadest sense, call on their followers to acknowledge their own faults first and admit to them to a higher presence. Most religions don't grant a "free pass" to then piss all over others who don't measure up in your eyes.

Most major religions also encourage their followers to be compassionate towards others. If someone is a mean-spirited drug addict, calling them one in a public forum doesn't demonstrate compassion in my eyes.

I'm not a universalist. I do know that "do unto others as you would have done to you" is a common theme among religions, though.

I don't know which religion Corgan has found, but based on his conduct/writings as of late, I certainly won't be seeking it out. I also haven't been inspired by him to further any of my own convictions within my own faith as a result of his writings.

If he's going to talk the talk, he'd better walk the walk, at least in the same post, before I take him seriously.

Rockin' Cherub
04-02-2004, 12:57 PM
wow, yeah, i think this way, too!

BeautifulLoser
04-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by TimRoss
I think that my problem with Corgan isn't that he's found religion. I don't mind the Zwan album. I don't play it a lot, but when I do I enjoy most of it. I certainly play it more than Machina, or any SP as of late, for that matter.
...snip...
If he's going to talk the talk, he'd better walk the walk, at least in the same post, before I take him seriously. That's all fine and good, but is there any religious person in the world that is perfect? I'm Christian, but I fuck up on a daily basis...

Cut the guy some slack. He already has one strike against him... he's Billy Corgan and most of his fans think he IS God. Give him religion, and all of a sudden he's a douche bag.

He's just a regular dude.

jczeroman
04-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Yes, I agree with B_loser. I remember seeing some post on some board a year ago with soem guy whining about how Billy's spirituality "let him down." What a joke. If I can combine objectivism and libertarianism with theism then Billy can combine his personal faith with his music and do it well.

Isle
04-02-2004, 02:45 PM
no one answered your question because you misunderstood the whole issue. i'm sure no one on the board really cares that he's religious, in a way he always has been, the complaints are about something which his being religious is a small factor of. ask nicely and you'll get an answer.

Fall Down Blue
04-02-2004, 04:43 PM
Shaunna and Hyperbolly, can we please ban beautiful loser from this board. she is too fucking stupid to post here. please limit her posting abilities to the general board, ONLY! thank you in advance.

neopryn
04-02-2004, 04:55 PM
The ony problem I have is that his religious feelings seem to have an inverse relationship with the quality of his music.

Isle
04-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Fall Down Blue
Shaunna and Hyperbolly, can we please ban beautiful loser from this board. she is too fucking stupid to post here. please limit her posting abilities to the general board, ONLY! thank you in advance.

amen.

Esty
04-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
The ony problem I have is that his religious feelings seem to have an inverse relationship with the quality of his music.

Are you talking about the Zwan album? Overall, I thought the album was a great listen. As far as whats to come, who knows, but will be finding out soon.

neopryn
04-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Esty

Are you talking about the Zwan album? Overall, I thought the album was a great listen. As far as whats to come, who knows, but will be finding out soon. Yes. I don't hate it as much as most, but it's shit compared to Pumpins albums 1 thru 4. The little non-album stuff I've heard is great, though, so maybe I shouldn't have said music.

Esty
04-02-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by neopryn
Yes. I don't hate it as much as most, but it's shit compared to Pumpins albums 1 thru 4. The little non-album stuff I've heard is great, though, so maybe I shouldn't have said music.

Not all artist can top their previous efforts, including the great bolly. I don't think his music has suffered. Not everyone can keep singing about depressing shit their whole life.

BeautifulLoser
04-02-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Isle

amen.

You know, I have yet to see you post anything worthwhile on this board. Do you contribute anything?

You're the next contestant on my ignore list! *click*

neopryn
04-02-2004, 05:28 PM

Not all artist can top their previous efforts, including the great bolly. I don't think his music has suffered. Not everyone can keep singing about depressing shit their whole life. I'm not expecting him to top it, I'd just like him to come within a reasonable distance of it.

BeautifulLoser
04-02-2004, 05:29 PM

Not all artist can top their previous efforts, including the great bolly. I don't think his music has suffered. Not everyone can keep singing about depressing shit their whole life. Exactly.

The dude was young when he made most of the great SP music... he's getting older, he has different priorities, his music is going to be different. That's just the way it is.

Isle
04-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by BeautifulLoser

You know, I have yet to see you post anything worthwhile on this board. Do you contribute anything?

You're the next contestant on my ignore list! *click*

ignore lists are for insecure dorks. you know i've never been mean to a chick before, but you're like a wussy guy so it's allowed.

spava
04-02-2004, 08:18 PM

I'd rather not.

bonsor
04-02-2004, 09:14 PM

amen. wow.

Starla
04-03-2004, 08:27 AM
Why?

no one will answer me in the other thread. What is so fucking bad about it?

And he didn't "Press his views" on anyone... he made a fucking web journal post about it. He didn't tell anyone to go find God, he didn't tell anyone they were going to hell... he said he found religion, and he thinks it's great.

Do you have a reading comprehension issue? Go back to THAT thread and re-read some of the posts, especially mine.

Starla
04-03-2004, 08:31 AM
That's all fine and good, but is there any religious person in the world that is perfect? I'm Christian, but I fuck up on a daily basis...

Cut the guy some slack. He already has one strike against him... he's Billy Corgan and most of his fans think he IS God. Give him religion, and all of a sudden he's a douche bag.

He's just a regular dude.

Oh my god. Even in your OWN lame thread you refuse to try and comprehend other's posts. Someone actually took the time to write out a long explanation for you.

BeautifulLoser
04-03-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by To Starla

Oh my god. Even in your OWN lame thread you refuse to try and comprehend other's posts. Someone actually took the time to write out a long explanation for you. :erm

I read their explanation, and I explained why i thought you guys were being a bit too harsh on him...

You really need to calm down. This isn't a life or death situation here...

Rockin' Cherub
04-03-2004, 12:51 PM

You really need to calm down.

wow, are you really two persons?

pumpkingrrrl
04-03-2004, 04:50 PM
i don't mind the fact that billy has "found god"

it really doesn't have anything to do with his musical abilities.

Isle
04-03-2004, 04:56 PM
it's not god, it's those fucking kittens. they've made him soft as a baby's ass.

morning star
04-03-2004, 05:15 PM
cats are cool!

Isle
04-03-2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by morning star
cats are cool!

not for angsty rockstars.

i wanna die
04-03-2004, 06:03 PM
he hasn't found religion. in fact hes said thousands of times he's against religion...im tired of explaining that to ppl, and i wont anymore; they can just follow their own misconceptions from now on, no offense.

morning star
04-03-2004, 06:18 PM
not for angsty rockstars.

good point.

Ranger
04-03-2004, 10:59 PM
it's not god, it's those fucking kittens. they've made him soft as a baby's ass.

Here's to Billy becoming a "Cat Lady" and living with 65 feral cats running around the house.

Rider
04-04-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by i wanna die
he hasn't found religion. in fact hes said thousands of times he's against religion...im tired of explaining that to ppl, and i wont anymore; they can just follow their own misconceptions from now on, no offense.

your an idiot, every singel post he has made has been about how he found religion.

redbreegull
04-04-2004, 01:37 AM
Why is it so bad that he has "found religion"? I mean, c'mon, accept everyone for who they are! Anyway, there's a difference between becoming spiritual and going off to join the Catholic Church again.

Rider
04-04-2004, 03:10 AM
Originally posted by redbreegull
Why is it so bad that he has "found religion"? I mean, c'mon, accept everyone for who they are! Anyway, there's a difference between becoming spiritual and going off to join the Catholic Church again.

For the 500th time it's not religion, it's the fact that he has becaome a moron. He talks about crazy non-sense shit and the few times he says anything of substance it's to bash people that he was once friends with. He offers no evidence, and even the few clues and stories he tells about the past don't add up with known facts about the band.

Corganist
04-04-2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by Rider

For the 500th time it's not religion, it's the fact that he has becaome a moron. He talks about crazy non-sense shit and the few times he says anything of substance it's to bash people that he was once friends with. He offers no evidence, and even the few clues and stories he tells about the past don't add up with known facts about the band.

For the 500th time, how is Billy now a "moron" when the only thing thats arguably different about the way he acts is his vocalness about spirituality? Everyone acts like the trashing of the bandmates is some egregious, crazy, wrong that is just totally out of the man's character. News flash for you, Billy Corgan has never, ever, been a people person. Honestly, do you really think that he has garnered all the negative feeling from people that he has without ever dishing it out? How naive. If its really the bandmate bashing thats bothering you and not the religion, then its impossible to assert that he's become a moron all of the sudden. We're just seeing the way the guy has always been, like it or leave it.

Rockin' Cherub
04-04-2004, 10:03 AM
i can't understand why he slanders about people who he worked with for years. christianity is no excuse for world wide mate - trashing.

Rockin' Cherub
04-04-2004, 10:33 AM
"Music's pretty cool and I'm glad to be a part of it. Sometimes when you reach for the stars, you end up in the fucking shit. I don't believe in God. I don't believe in America. I don't believe in rock-and-roll. I believe in me."
*sniff*

i wanna die
04-04-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Rider

your an idiot, every singel post he has made has been about how he found religion.

cite one post where he says he found religion, jackass

pale blue eyes
04-04-2004, 04:54 PM
I only skimmed this thread so I apoligize if this has been said but I don't really care that he is religious now or more so than before. As long as his album is good, I'll still like him no matter what he believes in.

Rider
04-04-2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by i wanna die

cite one post where he says he found religion, jackass

People dont find religion dont pray for people at the end of every post and dont dedicate albums to Mother Mary for saving there life.

Rider
04-04-2004, 06:41 PM
Mother Mary saved my life. No, this is not a typographical error, so I will say it again just to be sure...Mother Mary saved my life. That is why the Zwan album was titled Mary, Star of the Sea. I was asked the question many times during interviews about how the album came to be named, and I only partially answered the question. What I usually said, which 'was' true, is that when zwan was rehearsing in key west, florida during the winter of 2001, I used to go and hang out at this church called <a href="http://www.keywestcatholicparish.org/" target="_blank"><font color="#0080FF">Mary Star of the Sea</font></a>. What I didn't say is that off to the side was a grotto of the Virgin Mary that I used to go and pray at to find some clarity and solace. I asked Mother Mary there to help me change the direction of my life, my negative attitudes, and to heal my broken heart. I promised Mary that in tribute to her, I would name the album in her honor, and thereby honor the place when I found comfort in hours of need. Now, some may scoff at the notion that Mary, the mother of! Jesus, saved my life, or changed my life at all. Anyone could opine that it is all in my mind. So let me say this. I have received probably 2,000 letters in the last 12 years where strangers have told me that I saved their lives. Many have said that at the time they were writing the letter, they had recently been contemplating suicide, and that my music had helped them to find the courage to not do such a horrible thing. Other letters would be about whether the person could find the strength to get out of bed, to face another day of their often unhappy life. They would say that a particular lyric, or something I had said in an interview, had reminded them of their own dreams. Now did I actually come into their room? Did I hold their hand to keep them from jumping out a window, or from cutting their arms, or from throwing up their dinner so they wouldn't gain weight, or keep them from taking drugs? The answer is no, I didn't. I was not there for them like their parents, or h!usband, or wife, or best friend. But I did help save their life.&done=1

i wanna die
04-05-2004, 01:12 AM
um yeah none of that has any implication that he's apart of any religion...he may of found god/jesus/mary whatever--and i never doubted such, but when did he ever say otherwise? i understand where alot of u are coming from, but religion and spirituality are two seperate packages, no?

Dead
04-05-2004, 02:24 AM
Why?
Cause religion is dumb and lame.

Dead
04-05-2004, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Corganist
the only thing thats arguably different about the way he acts is his vocalness about spirituality
I disagree with this comment.

Corganist
04-05-2004, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Dead

I disagree with this comment.

Elaborate. Like I said earlier, the bandmate bashing thing is not out of character. The only other thing besides the spirituality that you could possibly construe as different about his actions as of late is that he is putting his woefully inadequate web skillz on public display. But what the hell do you expect? What's the difference between the senseless, inane, grammatically incorrect babble found on the site now and the senseless, inane, grammatically incorrect babble found in such masterpieces as the Pisces liner notes, the TAFH booklet, and the Machina mystery crap? Nothing has changed. I still don't think we've gotten down to exactly what the problem is here.

Rider
04-05-2004, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by Corganist

Elaborate. Like I said earlier, the bandmate bashing thing is not out of character. The only other thing besides the spirituality that you could possibly construe as different about his actions as of late is that he is putting his woefully inadequate web skillz on public display. But what the hell do you expect? What's the difference between the senseless, inane, grammatically incorrect babble found on the site now and the senseless, inane, grammatically incorrect babble found in such masterpieces as the Pisces liner notes, the TAFH booklet, and the Machina mystery crap? Nothing has changed. I still don't think we've gotten down to exactly what the problem is here.

:Stupid:

There now we have gotten down to what exactly the problem is here.