View Full Version : Another week, Another batch of New CDs(11/07)

strange_one
11-07-2002, 02:07 AM
<font color=33FFFF>
Nettle(DJ Rupture and DD) - Build a Fort, Set That On Fire
http://theagriculture.com/distribution/imagez/NettleFortCoverBig.jpg
Unafraid of the bold gesture, the sweeping line and the outer perimeter, Jace Clayton, aka DJ /Rupture, makes serious play with ideas that work best hidden in plain sight. You either have to ignore them or start thinking. Working with Spanish artist DD as Nettle, the fresh, disruptive 12"s he's been releasing over the past 18 months parallel DJ /Rupture's "Gold Teeth Thief" and "Minesweeper Suite" multigenre pileups. Some of this material has now been brought together for this exceptional CD collection dedicated to the shifting street music of North Africa, southern Spain and the wider diaspora.
Mutable and pervasive, half heard in the ********** noise of bars and public squares or pulsating from basement windows and the impenetrable interior of cruising cars, this is a sound that crosses entire continents. Stretching, scraping, and scratching. Nettle are capable of reacting simultaneously to the detail and the bigger picture. Form is protean and malleable, and beats are revealed as basic units of measurement that refuse to remain constant, as there's nothing fixed for them to be set against. The rhythm is present, strong and supple and unadorned, but it's also rendered strange. The effect is a little like catching a pirate HipHop radio station late at night for the first time, crackling with static, clinging to the airwaves and demanding to be heard. "Serranito" reaches back to the ruffhouse experimentalism of the Ultramagnetic MCs, and forward to the deterritorialised weightless possibilities of the laptop. "The End of Public Space", created with radio artist Gregory Whitehead, takes equal bytes out of Eazy-E and the musical culture of Morocco. Nettle's collaboration with Boston's ESP on the extended "They" pitches schoolyard noise, looped and stepped up, over tight, fleshless percussion and subsonic bass before allowing the whole structure to dissolve into overloaded delay.

Time to tear up thos old maps of influence, development and change. It looks like we won't be needing them again in this century.

(Ken Hollings)

Ora - Final
http://www.forcedexposure.com/images/ICR032.JPEG
"Ora was a collaboration based around the trio of Colin Potter, Andrew Chalk & Darren Tate, involving other musicians from around the world, who would contribute recordings of improvisations & natural sounds? These would be assembled in the studio & added to with many different elements. Their recordings were always difficult to get hold of, being small editions of CDRs (many of which are now highly valued collectors items) or import LPs & CDs. This CD compiles several of the best tracks from deleted recordings, along with 3 unreleased pieces. Contributions are made by Lol Coxhill & Daisuke Suzuki. Most of the tracks have natural sounds at their base, but with carefully chosen electronic additions & processing, along with other instruments."

Missy Elliott - Work It (single
http://www.hmv.com.au/product_images/851976.jpg
single of the year!

kid606 and friends - We Are All Winners
http://www.tigerbeat6.com/html/images/covers/meow001.gif

Madonna - Die Another Day cd1 (single)
http://www.hmv.com.au/product_images/851626.jpg

also got the following cheapies:
Billy Bob Thornton - Private Radio
Treetops - What's The Matter, baby?
Timeless - Hank Williams tribute

vinyl:
The Music - Take The Long Road.... 7" pic disc
http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_7946cec37cf434e0b668bb64429658bd/i-1.JPG
</font>

Lie
11-07-2002, 02:13 AM
Well, no one can accuse you of being too indie this week.

GlassDreams
11-07-2002, 02:37 AM
Let's see...

David Gray - A New Day at Midnight
Badly Drawn Boy - Have You Fed The Fish?
Pavement - Slanted and Enchanted: Luxe and Reduxe
Microphones - The Glow pt. 2

I think that's all.<font size="1", color="black">

mono
11-07-2002, 02:43 AM
Hmm... nothing for me yet...

I should get (finally) the Björk box and also the new GYBE! should arrive to my local record store today....

strange_one
11-07-2002, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Lie
Well, no one can accuse you of being too indie this week.
<font color=33FFFF> I'm sure someone will still find a way</font>

House of Bread
11-07-2002, 09:50 AM
Gorky's Zygotic Mynci - How I Long...
The Notwist - Neon Golden
The Microphones - The Glow Pt. 2
Bjork - The Greatest Hits

scouse_dave
11-07-2002, 01:35 PM
i like The Music...i didn't know they'd made it onto the aussie shores yet

sawdust restaurants
11-07-2002, 04:23 PM
How do you like the Nettle?

strange_one
11-08-2002, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
How do you like the Nettle?
<font color=33FFFF> I like it alot, need to listen to it more though, there is much more fusion of eastern sounds than I expected</font>

AndySlash
11-08-2002, 08:08 PM
Hmm...

U2- Best of 1990-2000 w/DVD
Dave Matthews Band- Live at Folsom Field
David Gray- whatever it's called
Alison Krauss + Union Station- Live
Johnny Cash- American IV

next week is Pearl Jam. Woo!

strange_one
11-08-2002, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by AndySlash

Johnny Cash- American IV

<font color=33FFFF> is that the new one? what's it like? I heard Personal Jesus on the radio the other day, it sounded great</font>

a fistful of yen
11-08-2002, 10:56 PM
uh, john coltrane - blue train and giant steps. that's all.

Disarmed
11-09-2002, 02:43 PM
soul coughing - irresistible bliss
r.e.m. - murmur
echo & the bunnymen - songs to learn & sing
beth orton - central reservation
kmfdm - nihil
talking heads - popular favorites

Finsta
11-09-2002, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by a fistful of yen
uh, john coltrane - blue train and giant steps. that's all.

Those are better than all the ones StrangeOne bought.

Irrelevant
11-09-2002, 03:39 PM
i got Drive Like Jehu's Yank Crime album used on LP + 7" for $6.

AndySlash
11-09-2002, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by strange_one

<font color=33FFFF> is that the new one? what's it like? I heard Personal Jesus on the radio the other day, it sounded great</font>

I've listened to it twice and it's OK. If you like his other American releases you'll probably like this one. It's not the best of them, that's for sure... a couple of duds- Desperado, Bridge Over Troubled Water, First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (cringeworthy)- and some great tracks- Hurt, Personal Jesus, The Man Comes Around.

Like I said, if you like the American stuff, then get it..

strange_one
11-09-2002, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by Finsta

Those are better than all the ones StrangeOne bought.
<font color=33FFFF> yeah, right</font>

Mayfuck
11-09-2002, 08:49 PM

<font color=33FFFF> yeah, right</font>

It's true.

Irrelevant
11-09-2002, 10:16 PM

i like the cover of In My Life but i think i'm the only one.

AndySlash
11-09-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Irrelevant

i like the cover of In My Life but i think i'm the only one.

No! I don't know how I could forget it when I mentioned it earlier, but this is probably my favorite on the disc. Something about JC singing it in the twilight of his existence makes the lyrics seem a bit more meaningful. I could see how some might rag on his vocal in the song, but to me it come across as more genuine.

Nothing/everything
11-11-2002, 06:30 AM
The picture disc looks fantastic

strange_one
11-11-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by Nothing/everything
The picture disc looks fantastic
<font color=33FFFF> it is pretty spiffy, I bought it for my gf though, I'm not really into The Music.</font>