View Full Version : Scholarships?

cowbite
03-17-2004, 11:32 PM
Yep. It's that time. I've been filling them out like mad. Anyway, I'm just wondering if there are scholarships that any of you received/recomend. Some background info that may be helpful:
VA resident
going to attend a public college
fairly accomplished runner at the state level
biology/life science major

If anyone has any advice or anything like that, please post it or email me. Gotta rack up some bling and get some of my college paid for.

dusty
03-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by cowbite
Yep. It's that time. I've been filling them out like mad. Anyway, I'm just wondering if there are scholarships that any of you received/recomend. Some background info that may be helpful:
VA resident
going to attend a public college
fairly accomplished runner at the state level
biology/life science major

If anyone has any advice or anything like that, please post it or email me. Gotta rack up some bling and get some of my college paid for. fafsa is the first thing you should fill out because it puts you up for elligibility with both cal and federal grants, aside from other scholarship and loan oppurtunities.

cowbite
03-17-2004, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by dusty
fafsa is the first thing you should fill out because it puts you up for elligibility with both cal and federal grants, aside from other scholarship and loan oppurtunities. I just mailed that thing out a few weeks back. I haven't heard back yet.

dusty
03-17-2004, 11:51 PM
I just mailed that thing out a few weeks back. I haven't heard back yet. k, just checking!

cowbite
03-18-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by dusty
k, just checking! I feel like blowing the dust of my Doom 2 cd-rom now. IDDQD!!!!!

Sepiae
03-18-2004, 12:01 AM
I wish you better luck than I had. I guess you should keep going to all those scholarship sites even though they turn up the same things for everyone. You should be in good shape as a science major.

Axis of Action
03-18-2004, 12:03 AM
I feel like blowing the dust of my Doom 2 cd-rom now. IDDQD!!!!!

IDKFA.

Don't do that. Just wait for Doom 3. :)

cowbite
03-18-2004, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by Sepiae
I wish you better luck than I had. I guess you should keep going to all those scholarship sites even though they turn up the same things for everyone. You should be in good shape as a science major. I've actually only applied to local scholarships, so far. I'm getting kinda crushed in the whole "community service" department. All my free time is pretty much focused on running. Oh well. I subscribed to one of those online scholarships things(fastweb.com?), but it seemed like the ones that were sent to me I had no chance of receiving. ::sigh:: if only I were a one-legged Puerto Rican hermaphrodite.

Sepiae
03-18-2004, 12:15 AM
I've actually only applied to local scholarships, so far. I'm getting kinda crushed in the whole "community service" department. All my free time is pretty much focused on running. Oh well. I subscribed to one of those online scholarships things(fastweb.com?), but it seemed like the ones that were sent to me I had no chance of receiving. ::sigh:: if only I were a one-legged Puerto Rican hermaphrodite.

Seriously. Being in service clubs like NHS isn't enough anymore. Things like being a runner or being in theatre don't leave much time for much else.

Lizard Queen
03-18-2004, 12:19 AM
Never take the attitude that "I don't qualify so I won't bother." You should apply anyhow because there are a lot of apathetic people out there.

machinaddict
03-18-2004, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Lizard Queen
Never take the attitude that "I don't qualify so I won't bother." You should apply anyhow because there are a lot of apathetic people out there.
That's me!
It seems like every scholarship I come across is like "only applies to the son or a daughter of a union worker" or "the child of a member of the class of 1959" or NATIVES ONLY.

Lizard Queen
03-18-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by machinaddict

That's me!
It seems like every scholarship I come across is like "only applies to the son or a daughter of a union worker" or "the child of a member of the class of 1959" or NATIVES ONLY.

Wouldn't it be great if your unionized native parents were from the class of 1959?

machinaddict
03-18-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by Lizard Queen

Wouldn't it be great if your unionized native parents were from the class of 1959?
shit I would have another $20,000 in my account right now!
Seriously though, they all seem to require a huge essay or volunteer work or something. I got these in an email today:

The Douglas A Wilson Memorial Scholarship valued at approximately $1900 is awarded annually to a needy Canadian student who shows character, promise of leadership and the desire to pursue a career in the Christian ministry. The student must be registered full time in an undergraduate degree at Acadia for the current academic year.
The scholarship was established by the Class of 1948 in memory of their Life President, Douglas A. Wilson, (B.A.;D.D.) who served as a Presbyterian minister for forty-one years before he passed away in October 1992. While a student at Acadia, he served his class and the larger community with dedication and distinction – attributes which were part of his natural character and personality, and endeared him to his classmates, and a legion of friends and parishioners.

The CLARKE K. McLEOD PRE‑MEDICAL SCHOLARSHIPS are provided from the estate of Dr. Clarke Kenneth McLeod (B.A. Acadia, 1922; M.D. C.M. McGill, 1927) of Millstream, New Brunswick, and Montreal, Quebec. The scholarships are available to selected students who have completed at least one year of study at Acadia, are registered in a Bachelor's degree programme and following the pre‑medical programme prescribed by McGill University with the intention to enter the M.D. Programme at that University; are registered in a full course load of at least 30 hours and maintaining an average of at least eighty percent (80%) on all courses with no grades less than seventy percent (70%). The scholarships may be extended to the period of attendance at McGill University on the basis of satisfactory progress.

funnygeezus
03-18-2004, 01:24 AM
i have won 3 scholarships, weighing in at a total of $4000. one was a government scholarship that anyone with an 85 or higher average in highschool got. the other two were district scholarships, one from the province of newfoundland and labrador and the other from the atlantic accord.

Lizard Queen
03-18-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by machinaddict

shit I would have another $20,000 in my account right now!
Seriously though, they all seem to require a huge essay or volunteer work or something. I got these in an email today:

The Douglas A Wilson Memorial Scholarship valued at approximately $1900 is awarded annually to a needy Canadian student who shows character, promise of leadership and the desire to pursue a career in the Christian ministry. The student must be registered full time in an undergraduate degree at Acadia for the current academic year.
The scholarship was established by the Class of 1948 in memory of their Life President, Douglas A. Wilson, (B.A.;D.D.) who served as a Presbyterian minister for forty-one years before he passed away in October 1992. While a student at Acadia, he served his class and the larger community with dedication and distinction – attributes which were part of his natural character and personality, and endeared him to his classmates, and a legion of friends and parishioners.

The CLARKE K. McLEOD PRE‑MEDICAL SCHOLARSHIPS are provided from the estate of Dr. Clarke Kenneth McLeod (B.A. Acadia, 1922; M.D. C.M. McGill, 1927) of Millstream, New Brunswick, and Montreal, Quebec. The scholarships are available to selected students who have completed at least one year of study at Acadia, are registered in a Bachelor's degree programme and following the pre‑medical programme prescribed by McGill University with the intention to enter the M.D. Programme at that University; are registered in a full course load of at least 30 hours and maintaining an average of at least eighty percent (80%) on all courses with no grades less than seventy percent (70%). The scholarships may be extended to the period of attendance at McGill University on the basis of satisfactory progress.

I got one once addressed to me as a muslim engineer studying in the US. That was funny.

Sammiches
03-18-2004, 01:46 AM
You're a science major. Tell them you aspire to go to medical school and they'll put out. This boy from my high school applied to almost every scholarship saying he wanted to be a doctor and he practically got a full ride. Then he switched majors to Business Admin and now he completely dropped out.

cowbite
03-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Our local McDonald's has a scholarship that I've applied for. I noticed in the fine print that it said "all applicants will receive at least $250 in scholarships." So yeah, there's a textbook paid for.