View Full Version : Question for the canadians...

beef curtains
03-11-2004, 06:46 PM
is there a significantly less amount of obese/overweight people in canada compared to america?

Mooney
03-11-2004, 06:48 PM
toronto is getting kinda hefty!

Nimrod
03-11-2004, 06:49 PM
They get snowed in all the time and are notoriusly lazy and alcoholic.

What do you think, Shannon?

GreenEggsNSpam
03-11-2004, 06:49 PM
I still think Canadians are more lightweight than Americans.

beef curtains
03-11-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod

i think i need to get snowed in with some whisky soon

beef curtains
03-11-2004, 06:51 PM
my question is this...

If god didn't want us to be fat, why did he make food so tasty!?!?

beef curtains
03-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by Hyperbole

Yeah, but the difference isn't as significant as it used to be.

We pretty much have the same diet as Americans, but maybe don't sit around in trailer parks eating cheetos as often. (that's for your comment, Nimrod)

igloos and kraft dinner, eh?

I_was_aborted
Also anywhere in Canada is there a place where I can buy marijuana? Like a coffee shop type place? Also are you allowed to smoke there? I have heard of such but never talked to anyone who actually knew....

2Marlon2Brando
Originally posted by So very sad about me
my question is this...

If god didn't want us to be fat, why did he make food so tasty!?!?

it was a trick. like if God didn't want us to be gay, why did he make johnny depp?

guz
03-11-2004, 06:53 PM

What do you think, Shannon? then there's that whole Poutine thing...

Pleasure|Contempt
03-11-2004, 06:54 PM

Yeah but all that snow shoveling is serious exercise ;)

But to be honest, I really don't notice that many obese people at my University. Sure there are chubby people, but very little of the kind of obesity I would consider a health problem.

Nimrod
03-11-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Pleasure|Contempt

Yeah but all that snow shoveling is serious exercise ;)

But to be honest, I really don't notice that many obese people at my University. Sure there are chubby people, but very little of the kind of obesity I would consider a health problem. Yeah, but college kids are usually in the best shape of any age bracket.

beef curtains
03-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by 2Marlon2Brando

it was a trick. like if God didn't want us to be gay, why did he make johnny depp?

to taunt women by making you gay and us straight:(

beef curtains
03-11-2004, 06:57 PM

"eh". heh.

I thought KD was big in the states?

MAC N'CHEEZ

and i only eat the velveeta kind :o

mirrar
03-11-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by I_was_aborted
Also anywhere in Canada is there a place where I can buy marijuana? Like a coffee shop type place? Also are you allowed to smoke there? I have heard of such but never talked to anyone who actually knew.... there is a store in toronto that sells weed over the counter if you go in and ask. they don't have a place where you can smoke it, but there are several "weed friendly" cafes in toronto with a smoking room where you bring your own pot and buy some food and chill out. the one i like has a no dealing policy, but if you really want to you can get it from someone there.

mirrar
03-11-2004, 07:07 PM

Where are these magical stores? temperance is on temperance and young, you can look up the exact adress on toronto.com i think, and the cafe, hotbox, is right in kensington.

Nimrod
03-11-2004, 07:09 PM

"eh". heh.

I thought KD was big in the states? No, it's much bigger in Canada.. also we don't call it "dinner." We call it Mac and Cheese, and other than the truly poor, nobody eats it for dinner except as a side dish.

shaniqua
03-11-2004, 07:10 PM

I think I know hotbox. How would they get away with selling weed over the counter, though?

hot box is a smoke-friendly cafe, you can't actually buy the weed there, though.
it's in roach-o-rama.

mirrar
03-11-2004, 07:11 PM

I think I know hotbox. How would they get away with selling weed over the counter, though? they don't make it all well known or anything.. theres no huge sign that says POT SOLD HERE... you just go in and ask for it and the guy will get you some.

mirrar
03-11-2004, 07:12 PM
and i meant it's temperance that sells it not hotbox.

mirrar
03-11-2004, 07:12 PM

I meant how would <i>any</i> store get away with it. just by keeping it quiet.

guz
03-11-2004, 07:14 PM
We call it Mac and Cheese, and other than the truly poor, nobody eats it for dinner except as a side dish. maybe the boxed Kraft stuff. but homemade Mac & Cheese is great...especially w/ sausage!

spava
03-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by So very sad about me
is there a significantly less amount of obese/overweight people in canada compared to america?

Approximately 2/3 of American adults are overweight. (This inclds obese.) - Journal of the American Medical Association, 2002

And in 1998, 47.9% of Canadians were overweight. - Stats. Canada

Mayfuck
03-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by spava
47.9% - Stats. Canada

:-!

Nimrod
03-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Have I posted before that I always wanted to have sex with a Canadian to see if the moans are in that accent? Ooooh, ya, eh, ya... Oooooooo...

spava
03-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Have I posted before that I always wanted to have sex with a Canadian to see if the moans are in that accent? Ooooh, ya, eh, ya... Oooooooo...

Hah!

Nimrod
03-11-2004, 07:19 PM

yes, several times. Yeah, well <i>way to not have sex with me</i> Christina!

Lizard Queen
03-12-2004, 12:38 AM
We have statistically fewer obese people (thanks spava) however it's gaining grounds rapidly as more and more American fastfood shops invade the country.

To answer i_was_aborted's question - there's also a 'bring your own pot' style café a few blocks away from my apartment in downtown Montreal. I'm currently working on a radio documentary and a feature story about them. They are right next door to a police station, and the owners are the leaders of the Quebec Bloc Pot provincial political party, and Canada's Marijuana Party for the federal side.

christian zombie vampires
03-12-2004, 04:03 AM
i've always assumed it was a US thing because i try to notice lots of fat people but don't. it does get noted in canadian reports and canadian stats but i just never see it anywhere and it really does confuse me. unless i'm in a mall or fast food joint though.

meow
03-12-2004, 04:47 AM

Actually, I don't notice that many fat people...and I ride the busy streetcar every day, so I would if it was that obvious.

...But maybe I just don't pay enough attention when I'm squished in the car with 100 other people.

This could be due to the fact that those who take the streetcar have to walk to the street car, and thus less obese people are willing to make the effort.

Then again, I have never been to Toronto outside of the airport, so what the fuck do i know!

sleeper
03-12-2004, 11:02 AM
from my experience, canada is much lighter than the US. i go down to the states often (buffalo, new york, washington) and its always something i notice. its not a stereotype anymore at all, its true. the majority of people i see are overweight to some extent, with many obese. you cant really lie about these things, the proof is all around you, and i must have commented to whoever i was with a million times saying how much fatter people are there when i went last winter. its almost comic. like a big joke, we dont get. although canada does have this problem too, and it is getting worse, but for the time beign the US is probably the fattest place on earth

oui henri
03-12-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Mirror_Untrue
there are several "weed friendly" cafes in toronto with a smoking room where you bring your own pot and buy some food and chill out. the one i like has a no dealing policy, but if you really want to you can get it from someone there.

we go

Lizard Queen
03-12-2004, 01:03 PM
When I was in New York City a few weeks ago, I was in a food lover's paradise. There was food EVERYWHERE. I think I put on five pounds in 3 days. Cold Stone Creamery? Street vendors for pretzels? Carnegie Deli? I went nuts.