View Full Version : my suprise: a Rocket instrumental

jczeroman
03-06-2004, 04:12 PM
I got bored last night and wanted to try a few new recording techniques so I made this. I thought about adding vocals for you guys but they sounded like crap. This is just a recordign to try out soem reverb/violin/guitar micing techniques so I didn't really pay attention to quality as much. However, it is listenable.

Here ya go: http://www.augustfalling.com/MP3_ARCHIVE/rocket.mp3

jczeroman
03-06-2004, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by RockLobster
cool, you did a great job.
Too much western ho-down for me though.

ps LOL @ outro

he he he... fair enough... lol...

hereisnowhy
03-06-2004, 05:26 PM
Wow, I'm impressed. This is the first netphorian-made mp3 that I'm saving to itunes.

hereisnowhy
03-06-2004, 05:30 PM
Also, the beginning sounds like purr snickety, which can never be a bad thing.

Isle
03-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by RockLobster
cool, you did a great job.
Too much western ho-down for me though.

ps LOL @ outro

yeah. it was beautiful, i wanted to go barndance to it. <3 rocket

Dead
03-06-2004, 06:27 PM
I want it but I don't want to use my bandwith cause of my crappy ISP threatening me. If you add vocals I'll get it!

Toby
03-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Good work again, mr. colin

sleeper
03-06-2004, 06:45 PM
it was pretty good. the little itty bitty guitar lead at the starting is a good idea, i liked that a lot. it couldve been by accident, i dont know, but i like creative things like this. pretty good instrumentation and recording. the bass sounded good. the acoustic guitar was a little bit overbearing. the violin sounded good and worked. the outro was funny. overall it was a little bland though. kinda just a straight forward run through, but at that it accomplished its goal very well. sorry to say, but the band name august falling is really lame, i dont know why youd choose that

Jaggie
03-06-2004, 07:15 PM
Sounds good, but the panning was a bit hard. If you pan the acoustic guitar tracks don't do 100% pan to each side, it sounds uneven. If you really want it 100% panned, add a third acoustic track that is middle panned to even out the two others. Sounds real good otherwise. What's your recording setup like?

Edit: on a full listen through, I want to reiterate how good this was. Add some vocals, clean up the panning a bit, and adjust the levels (bringing the violin up a bit) and this is one of the best covers I've heard.

jczeroman
03-06-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Dead
I want it but I don't want to use my bandwith cause of my crappy ISP threatening me. If you add vocals I'll get it!

maybe... it's a hard song to sing (especially in the context of the vibe).

jczeroman
03-06-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by sleeper
sorry to say, but the band name august falling is really lame, i dont know why youd choose that

thanks. The "august falling" thing is sort of a mesh of my beliefs in a world-wide cataclysm and the idea of "going out with a bang" in spite of it. Anyways, sorry you don't like the name...

jczeroman
03-06-2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Jaggie
Sounds good, but the panning was a bit hard. If you pan the acoustic guitar tracks don't do 100% pan to each side, it sounds uneven. If you really want it 100% panned, add a third acoustic track that is middle panned to even out the two others. Sounds real good otherwise. What's your recording setup like?

Edit: on a full listen through, I want to reiterate how good this was. Add some vocals, clean up the panning a bit, and adjust the levels (bringing the violin up a bit) and this is one of the best covers I've heard.

Yea, the pan is about 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock... but because of the eq, i think it does sound pretty harsh. Prolly should ahve put them at 11 and 1.

It's really just a mixing test for my violin micing/guitar micing so I really don't want to actuallyl develop it. But I am glad to see that if I wanted to work it, it could be good.

This stuff was run through an octava condener mic (mandolin and vilolin through an sm57). Through a tube warmer rack and then a Alesis compressor for a little bit of balance on the guitars. My box is an old Roland VS-880ex. I think that's about it. It's pretty simple for this stuff.

Sapphire
03-06-2004, 09:18 PM
What I find so impressive about this track is that it sounds really fresh. It's like the lighter side of rocket while still being able to keep the skeleton in tact.

Really great job.

But I too would have to agree about your band's name and everything. August falling... I dunno, it sounds like a sappy emo band to me. But hey, that's just me.

Isle
03-07-2004, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Sapphire
August falling... I dunno, it sounds like a sappy emo band

Cock Slapper Dan and the hawaii five-o:cool:

mxzombie
03-07-2004, 07:37 AM
i really like it.

smashingjj
03-07-2004, 10:20 AM
it's good. the beginning made me think of Fearless by Pink Floyd.

Spaceboy88
03-07-2004, 12:31 PM
Great cover...my only complaint is the little "solo" esque part...bring that out a little better and it would be an A+ (it's already an A in my opinion the way it is...that that takes a lot for me to say b/c 99.9999% of SP covers are God Awful)

tb

DeviousJ
03-07-2004, 01:36 PM
This is fucking great - at first I thought 'yeah, it's basically the acoustic version' and I was just impressed with how professional it all sounded but when the violin comes in, from then on it's got a much more individual feel to it. I also loled at the outro.

There's this little noise just after the bass slides down before the little solo breakdown part, and it makes me think that some footstomps would sound cool through that bit

Porcelina Ruby
03-07-2004, 01:40 PM
respect!
what accoustic guitare did you use?

smashingjj
03-07-2004, 02:38 PM
on a related sidenote: I recently bought a beautifully looking and sounding Aria acoustic guitar. It really sounds good and it cost me only 100 euros.

bonsor
03-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Colin this sounds beutiful. Your acoustic guitar sounds amazingly good. I need to get a better one.

bonsor
03-07-2004, 02:59 PM
holy hell, that string part at around 2.20 is so...irish!!! i love it!

Travis Meekz
03-07-2004, 04:51 PM
great

glow
03-07-2004, 05:07 PM
I just wanted to say that i really liked this and played it for a bunch of my friends that were over last night and they all were asking who was playing. Nice job

Andy

wounded
03-07-2004, 06:59 PM
all along i thought my cover of rocket was descent.

i liked that alot though

Sapphire
03-07-2004, 10:44 PM
I request a Quiet acoustic version similar to the Rocket one you just did. I always loved Rocket, but I never realized how good the song itself actually was until I heard your take on it.

If you would do an instrumental version of Quiet, I think this board would be forever greatful. I mean, shit, I've been playing your version of Rocket on repeat for the last two hours. It's just amazing. I love it. And I would just love to see you do more. :)

dean moriaty
03-08-2004, 08:00 AM
very nice. good work

Rockin' Cherub
03-08-2004, 09:46 AM
awesome. sounds very clearly.

jczeroman
03-08-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Porcelina Ruby
respect!
what accoustic guitare did you use?

LOL... this is the really funny thing. There is an old (crazy/retarded) woman I know who ran into some junky guitar and wanted to learn it. She never did and gave the thing to me the other day. It's some no-name brand and had junky stickers all over it and dirt and just crap. Over the past few days I cleaned it up and fixed some stuff on it and found that the intonation is almost perfect. So rocket was an attempt to actually see if I could get a good recorded sound out of it... sounds like it worked.

Also: thanks for the compliments guys. I don't like to do any covers at all, but I feel like doing these helps me "give back" to the wonderful people on this board.

jczeroman
03-08-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by ******
holy hell, that string part at around 2.20 is so...irish!!! i love it!

It is my favorite... once I nailed it, I was like... OH... OH... :sexors:

twilightfadez
03-08-2004, 12:23 PM
listening right now

so you play violin also? what else do you play? (havent heard that part yet but i skimmed thru the above posts)

twilightfadez
03-08-2004, 12:24 PM
wouldn't it be great to do a netphorian sp tribute album?

has that been thought of before?

twilightfadez
03-08-2004, 12:27 PM
hey dude, hats off to you. very nice cover. *thumbs up*

zerozwan
03-08-2004, 03:50 PM
someone send this clip to billy. i'm sure we'd be in for some friends as lovers > rocket action at his upcoming solo shows. that would rule.

Dead
03-08-2004, 05:19 PM
I downloaded it. Very awesome. Way to go! I want more. http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon14.gif

MMBKG
03-08-2004, 11:18 PM
Bravo! That was awesome. I have to agree that it accentuates the beauty of the music in Rocket.

Injektilo
03-09-2004, 01:33 PM
goddamn, i really wanna hear this now. My computer at home has some fucked up internet problems though, so nocolinrocketcover4me.

jczeroman
03-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Injektilo
goddamn, i really wanna hear this now. My computer at home has some fucked up internet problems though, so nocolinrocketcover4me.

:(

You're aren't missing too much... I am feeling really guilty now for not actually makign it into a real cover. Maybe if I have some time this weekend i will "update" it.

Dead
03-09-2004, 03:15 PM
With vocals? Can you also do one of The Empty Sea by those Zwanny bastards? It's my favorite. Keep up the good work! http://forums.netphoria.org/wwwboard/icons/icon14.gif

Mayfuck
03-09-2004, 03:21 PM
It's boring and generic. What are you guys talking about?

Dead
03-09-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
It's boring and generic. What are you guys talking about?
Your mom.