View Full Version : Infinite Sadness tour curiosity about you

eyesbomb
02-24-2004, 12:11 PM
'know it's weird, but I'm somewhat curious

Isle
02-24-2004, 01:07 PM
it's not weird...just lame. i didn't vote.

Liquid-J
02-24-2004, 01:09 PM
i remember wanting to go to that tour and not being able to go. :(

eyesbomb
02-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Isle
it's not weird...just lame. i didn't vote.

but still you replied, which is further fucking lame

MstrGhost
02-24-2004, 01:25 PM
I didn't went to any mcis tour. And I had the chance to see Cascais 02/05/96, one of the shows billy mentioned in the 29/11/01 interview (bullfight arena).

Mayfuck
02-24-2004, 01:49 PM
Never been, but listening to the recordings , it's my favorite tour, especially the shows before Jimmy got fired. And the 97 European shows are underrated.

Myxomatosis
02-24-2004, 02:58 PM
Three with Jimmy:

6/25/96
6/29/96
6/30/96

Three with Matt:

9/20/96
10/28/96
1/22/97

eyesbomb
02-24-2004, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by Myxomatosis
Three with Jimmy:

6/25/96
6/29/96
6/30/96

Three with Matt:

9/20/96
10/28/96
1/22/97

you deserve to die

Enzed
02-24-2004, 03:34 PM
Only 2 have seen MCIS tour with Jimmy?

Me.

SP Reviews
'Rip it Up'

Smashing Pumpkins, Garageland
Mt Smart Supertop, Auckland New Zealand,
John Taite

Anyone lucky enough to be in the mosh pit 'section' was treated to an amazing half-time crowd crush ballet. Under harsh floro lights, hundreds of kids were being pulled out of the steaming, squirming mass of greasy hair and wet t-shirts to the sound of Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No.3. Ominous cellos bellowing out of the speakers as bouncers struggled to save the fearful young kids who got more than they bargained for.

Billy walks out, silver pants and Zero shirt, composed and ready to rock. D'arcy, having jumped up the sexy scale since she was last here, grabs our attention, the beauty and the bass. Jimmy's ready to beat those drums into submission, James iha is primed to operate his guitar with geek chic. their new 'cyber metal of the future' look could've done more with the average light show and the psychedelic back projections provided, but that's a small compliant against two-and-a-quarter hours of Pashing Munckin brilliance.

The screeching version of Today gave us an idea of what we were in for. No time for melancholy or sadness. Zero's chant of, 'Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanliness, and cleanliness is godliness, and god is empty, just like me!', received a huuuuge chant from the audience, like some sort of rock religion. It's the next single and it deserves to be number bloody 1. Disarm was poignant, with Billy on acoustic and 12,000 people singing every word - but then, they could've been singing to every song, the band were so loud you'd never know!

The supertop got a nod with cute TV sample - 'Welcome to Howdy Doody's greatest circus on the earth' after which billy launched into BwBw with 'Doody is a Vampire'. The stadium, quite rightly, went mad. Steam wafted over the packed crowd like mustard gas, as Jellybelly kicked big hairy arse, and they ended their first set with Cherub Rock, which was almost buried amongst the other great tracks. In the old days it would have been the climax, but they've come so far since Siamese Dream and that great Big Day Out performance. We're talking brilliance now.

For the fist encore, James comes out and whines: "Hey, Auckland, yuuur rawkin' meeee." Big laugh. They play 1979 with these big circle lights all over the place, and it was bloody 1979. Yup, we were there, baby - the safe sex, easy drugs, naive materialism and the freaks were one step closer to ruling the earth.

The playfulness of the band and the buzz of excitement from the fans made this an amazingly intimate gig. Sure, the band were huge, they were stars, but they still dicked around and made us laugh. James Iha was the class clown, with his pogo demo and his 'Jimmy motherfuckin Barnes' blues jam. They were having big, geeky, stupid rock fun - and so were we.

For the second encore they launched into the thundering XYU, with rocket take off visuals, 'She didn't wanna be, she didn't wanna know, she couldn't run away cus she was crazy' was huge, jumping and stomping all over the place. The only thing missing was the rockets being fired from the guitars. Then they completely swing the mood to accommodate the soft, pleading, brilliant Mayonnaise.

The third encore saw the menacing Bodies bleed into a 25 minute rock fest - bass rippling through your chest, drum solos, meandering guitar rituals. Most of the crowd stood dazed, but the rest of us felt like we were breathing rock'n'roll. It was music to fly attack helicopters to.

It all ended, appropriately enough, with Farewell and Goodnight. D'arcy singing in her silver top, cuddling a white teddy bear, while the rest of the band took turns singing like rock Osmonds around the campfire.

Billy had the last word, "Goodnight, you crazy motherfuckers", and it was over. The crowd had arrived excited and full of spunk, and had left limp and satisfied, with the sound of Xanadu in their ears. There was magic at Mt Smart tonight, and if you missed it, really missed out.

WIREDin2SADNESS
02-24-2004, 03:52 PM
quite amusing that i was the first to post i had seen the mcis with jimmy and then you enzed who went to exactly the same show :eek: twilight zone

Isle
02-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Enzed
Only 2 have seen MCIS tour with Jimmy?

Me.

SP Reviews
'Rip it Up'

Smashing Pumpkins, Garageland
Mt Smart Supertop, Auckland New Zealand,
John Taite

Anyone lucky enough to be in the mosh pit 'section' was treated to an amazing half-time crowd crush ballet. Under harsh floro lights, hundreds of kids were being pulled out of the steaming, squirming mass of greasy hair and wet t-shirts to the sound of Henryk Gorecki's Symphony No.3. Ominous cellos bellowing out of the speakers as bouncers struggled to save the fearful young kids who got more than they bargained for.

Billy walks out, silver pants and Zero shirt, composed and ready to rock. D'arcy, having jumped up the sexy scale since she was last here, grabs our attention, the beauty and the bass. Jimmy's ready to beat those drums into submission, James iha is primed to operate his guitar with geek chic. their new 'cyber metal of the future' look could've done more with the average light show and the psychedelic back projections provided, but that's a small compliant against two-and-a-quarter hours of Pashing Munckin brilliance.

The screeching version of Today gave us an idea of what we were in for. No time for melancholy or sadness. Zero's chant of, 'Emptiness is loneliness, and loneliness is cleanliness, and cleanliness is godliness, and god is empty, just like me!', received a huuuuge chant from the audience, like some sort of rock religion. It's the next single and it deserves to be number bloody 1. Disarm was poignant, with Billy on acoustic and 12,000 people singing every word - but then, they could've been singing to every song, the band were so loud you'd never know!

The supertop got a nod with cute TV sample - 'Welcome to Howdy Doody's greatest circus on the earth' after which billy launched into BwBw with 'Doody is a Vampire'. The stadium, quite rightly, went mad. Steam wafted over the packed crowd like mustard gas, as Jellybelly kicked big hairy arse, and they ended their first set with Cherub Rock, which was almost buried amongst the other great tracks. In the old days it would have been the climax, but they've come so far since Siamese Dream and that great Big Day Out performance. We're talking brilliance now.

For the fist encore, James comes out and whines: "Hey, Auckland, yuuur rawkin' meeee." Big laugh. They play 1979 with these big circle lights all over the place, and it was bloody 1979. Yup, we were there, baby - the safe sex, easy drugs, naive materialism and the freaks were one step closer to ruling the earth.

The playfulness of the band and the buzz of excitement from the fans made this an amazingly intimate gig. Sure, the band were huge, they were stars, but they still dicked around and made us laugh. James Iha was the class clown, with his pogo demo and his 'Jimmy motherfuckin Barnes' blues jam. They were having big, geeky, stupid rock fun - and so were we.

For the second encore they launched into the thundering XYU, with rocket take off visuals, 'She didn't wanna be, she didn't wanna know, she couldn't run away cus she was crazy' was huge, jumping and stomping all over the place. The only thing missing was the rockets being fired from the guitars. Then they completely swing the mood to accommodate the soft, pleading, brilliant Mayonnaise.

The third encore saw the menacing Bodies bleed into a 25 minute rock fest - bass rippling through your chest, drum solos, meandering guitar rituals. Most of the crowd stood dazed, but the rest of us felt like we were breathing rock'n'roll. It was music to fly attack helicopters to.

It all ended, appropriately enough, with Farewell and Goodnight. D'arcy singing in her silver top, cuddling a white teddy bear, while the rest of the band took turns singing like rock Osmonds around the campfire.

Billy had the last word, "Goodnight, you crazy motherfuckers", and it was over. The crowd had arrived excited and full of spunk, and had left limp and satisfied, with the sound of Xanadu in their ears. There was magic at Mt Smart tonight, and if you missed it, really missed out.

good review. i can't believe the pumpkins have faded so quickly after they finished, most kids my age don't even know who the fuck they are. which is kind of nice.:D

Fall Down Blue
02-24-2004, 04:23 PM
if it means anything, i had bought my tickets to see them before melvoin OD'ed... so my original plans were to see them a la full band, but damn heroin smack dealers had to give melvoin a bad hit, motherfucker.

17 Seconds
02-24-2004, 04:25 PM
One with Jimmy: 1996-06-27

One with Matt: 1997-01-18

GrungeGuy
02-24-2004, 04:28 PM
I was suppose to go to the show the day Melvoin died.
When I finally got to see the MCIS Tour the following September I was impressed with Matt's druming. He sounded much better than I thought he would. I only got to see one show with the real SP lineup on the Arising tour.

Myxomatosis
02-24-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by eyesbomb

you deserve to die

In hindsight, I definitely was lucky that 3 of the first 4 shows on the tour were in my home state, before the shit went down.

RopeyLopey
02-24-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
And the 97 European shows are underrated. are they? I thought that everybody who's been/listened to these shows rate them pretty high. The only 'disadvantage' is that apparently not too many people from here attended those gigs.

_dobby_
02-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by MstrGhost
I didn't went to any mcis tour. And I had the chance to see Cascais 02/05/96, one of the shows billy mentioned in the 29/11/01 interview (bullfight arena).

YEAH!!!! Been on that one.....the cascais bullfight arena! Best show ever ever....

MMBKG
02-25-2004, 12:07 AM
:( :( :(
I've never seen The Smashing Pumpkins live.

MALADORI
02-25-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by GrungeGuy
I was suppose to go to the show the day Melvoin died.
When I finally got to see the MCIS Tour the following September I was impressed with Matt's druming. He sounded much better than I thought he would. I only got to see one show with the real SP lineup on the Arising tour.

Yeah I had tickets for that day also. They re-scheduled in late August but I was unable to go. So I never got to see them at all.

daydreamer999
02-25-2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by MMBKG
:( :( :(
I've never seen The Smashing Pumpkins live.

Me neither :mad:

Ohh, here's a big question... has anyone seen the pumpkins during the siamese dream era or better yet, gish/pre-gish.:D

Myxomatosis
02-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by daydreamer999
has anyone seen the pumpkins during the siamese dream era or better yet, gish/pre-gish

I saw 'em at Lollapalooza here in Michigan, the 7/25/94 show. Thankfully I got to hear "Hummer" at least once in my life.

Set:

Rhinoceros
Rocket
Disarm
Quiet
I Am One (fast version, with rant)
Soma
Geek U.S.A.
Mayonaise
Siva
Cherub Rock
Hummer
Today
Silverfuck
> Night Moves [Seger] (tease)
> Over the Rainbow [Harburg/Arlen] (tease)

The Gaddrow
02-25-2004, 11:18 AM
<i><b>I've seen the Infinite Sadness tour with Matt Walker on drums</i></b>

I've never seen the original four together. :(:(:(

But, at least I heard Blissed and Gone for the first time ever :)

Fonzie
02-25-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by daydreamer999

Me neither :mad:

Ohh, here's a big question... has anyone seen the pumpkins during the siamese dream era or better yet, gish/pre-gish.:D

Yep.

February 5th, 1994.

Big day Out, Auckland, New Zealand.

Absolutely fucking Awesome.

Rockin' Cherub
02-25-2004, 05:00 PM
lucky bastard.

Fonzie
02-25-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Rockin' Cherub
lucky bastard.

Correction.