View Full Version : French fries = Cancer!

beef curtains
09-30-2002, 02:02 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2002/HEALTH/conditions/09/29/fries.cancer.ap/index.html

Scientists have found a clue to the chemical reaction that may cause potato chips, french fries and other fried or baked starchy foods to build up high levels of a possible cancer-causing substance.

The suspect is asparagine, a naturally occurring amino acid that, when heated with certain sugars such as glucose, leads to the formation of the worrisome substance acrylamide.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has made studying acrylamide's risk and determining how to lower its levels in food one of its highest research priorities, according to a plan that agency officials were to discuss Monday with consumer groups and food manufacturers.

Canada's government made the discovery about the suspect chemical reaction and has ordered food manufacturers to look for ways to alter it and thus lower levels of acrylamide in food. Cincinnati-based manufacturer Procter & Gamble Co. says its scientists, too, have found the asparagine connection.

It is the first clue to emerge in the mystery of acrylamide since Swedish scientists made the surprise announcement in the spring that high levels of the possible carcinogen are in numerous everyday foods: french fries, potato chips, some types of breakfast cereals and breads -- plenty of high-carbohydrate foods that are fried or baked at high temperatures. The chemical was not found in boiled foods, which are cooked at lower temperatures.

Sweden's findings were confirmed in June by governments in Norway, Britain and Switzerland, and preliminary testing of several hundred foods by the FDA suggests U.S. foods contain similar acrylamide levels, said Richard Canady, who is directing the agency's assessment of acrylamide's risk.

Acrylamide is used to produce plastics and dyes and to purify drinking water. Although traces have been found in water, no one expected high levels to be in basic foods.

In addition to fried and starchy foods, acrylamide has been found in roasted asparagus and banana chips

It causes cancer in test animals, but it has not been proved to do so in people. Still, Swedish scientists have said the levels are high enough that foodborne acrylamide might be responsible for several hundred cases of cancer in that country each year.

In the United States, the FDA has been careful to caution that acrylamide so far is only a suspected carcinogen. The FDA has not yet advised consumers to alter their diets to avoid it.

Still uncertain is whether the FDA, once it finishes testing different foods next year, will publicly identify which brands contain the most acrylamide -- information wanted by consumer advocates.

For now, Canady said, "We want to reinforce ... eating a balanced diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables. That's the best way to ensure that you're getting adequate nutrition."

The food industry stresses that while fried potato products are getting most of the bad publicity -- most testing so far shows the highest levels in them -- acrylamide is in a wide variety of foods. Procter & Gamble said Friday that its testing found acrylamide in such previously unimplicated foods as roasted asparagus and banana chips.

------------------
http://www.wsu.edu/~swinn/kith.jpg

Fattening Ass
09-30-2002, 02:05 PM
<font color=font colors fucking suck>Everything leads to damn cancer i swear.

Elvis The Fat Years
09-30-2002, 02:08 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Fattening Ass:
<font color=font colors fucking suck>Everything leads to damn cancer i swear.</font>

yup. like masturbation leads to blindness.

beef curtains
09-30-2002, 02:09 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Elvis The Fat Years:
yup. like masturbation leads to blindness.</font>

and hairy palms

Samsa
09-30-2002, 02:26 PM
shit

fruit 4 me

hm is oatmeal okay?

*hopez*

ravenguy2000
09-30-2002, 02:28 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by So very sad about me:

and hairy palms

</font>

and insanity.

beef curtains
09-30-2002, 02:47 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Samsa:
shit

hm is oatmeal okay?

*hopez*</font>

I had some this morning and I haven't died yet!

Squashing Pineapples
09-30-2002, 02:53 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ravenguy2000:

and insanity. </font>

and boredom

Orchestra
09-30-2002, 03:26 PM
If you walk the wrong way you get cancer, enjoy your life and then pull the trigger before cancer gets you.