View Full Version : Tearing coldplays clocks to bits

Nothing/everything
02-07-2004, 07:40 PM
Heh, a rather silly cover by Amsterdam based laptop-rock duo Zea. Some serious hardcore beats going on here.

http://huizen.dds.nl/~zea/music/clocks.mp3

THRILLHO
02-07-2004, 08:40 PM
LOL... i am thoroughly enjoying this right now.

Ghetto_Squirrel
02-07-2004, 09:27 PM
I didn't see the 'motherfucking motherfucker' part coming.

machinaddict
02-08-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Ghetto_Squirrel
I didn't see the 'motherfucking motherfucker' part coming.
Agreed. That was inspired.

ZackZ
02-08-2004, 06:27 AM
I don't like robot voice saying "motherfucker."

Motherfucking motherfucker....I just got to that part. And now the Indian guy....and now "bow wow yipee yay." "Don't be cold." I despise sampling in all of it's incarnations, but these are just ridiculously misplaced. I don't get it...

Nothing/everything
02-08-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by ZackZ
I despise sampling in all of it's incarnations, but these are just ridiculously misplaced.

that was the general idea. There was this top 150 singles on a dutch "alternative" radio station, they were asked to do some songs next to one of their own. White stripes were first place, coldplay second. They kind of stunned the crowd with this not so coherent cover version.

Isle
02-08-2004, 07:31 AM
motherfucker.

BMCHHBDDBMCHHBMBMCHHBDBDBMCHH

babyletswhine
02-08-2004, 01:24 PM
if only zea wasnt such an overrated, trendy dutch band.

the cover well, its fun but nothing more.

Nothing/everything
02-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by babyletswhine
if only zea wasnt such an overrated, trendy dutch band.

Overrated and trendy? Come on, you must be fucking kidding me. Their brilliant latest album only got calm reviews by the socalled leading dutch music press. I've seen numerous Zea shows, they're not getting the attention and crowds they deserve. Their album sales are terrible as well.

Just listen to the other stuff dutch "indie" has to offer. Caesar: singalong college rock, overrated as hell. Johan: even worse and more boring indie traditional. Seedling: mediocre on album, with a rather repeating formula. Persil: fonda500 does laptop noodling rock way better. 35007: awesome live act, even more boring than kinski on album. Bands like mono, jimmy barock and stuff like audiotransparent, solbakken and whipster sure put up a decent set and have enjoyable albums, but they're boring and uninspired. Zea isn't really doing something new, but their two albums, their singles and livesets sure are damn interesting and refreshing.

babyletswhine
02-08-2004, 01:43 PM
haha it seems we cant ever agree on something :).

but zea tries to hard to be different in my opinion, it sounds too thought through. They try to sound garage-ish to avoid sounding clinical.

and im not saying that they are worse or better than some other acts in holland.

it just sounds too dutch for me, trying to refrain from the dutch standards by trying to hard to be different.

I guess you know zzz aswell, some story imo..

oh yeah, and overrated isnt that same as getting media attention and lots of record sales imo.
im talking about musiclovers who talk about small bands as if they were the biggest revelation since i dont know what. And a lot of people talk about zea as if it were the best thing, but its okay nothing more imo.
But this is usual indiesnob behaviour.

Nothing/everything
02-08-2004, 01:55 PM
I must say that i'm slightly biased in my opinion towards Zea, because i know Arnold de Boer, zea's main man, quite well. My experience is that the entire dutch music press tends to ignore zea, in favor for especially Seedling, Johan, the eindhoven hardrock scene (with some superior crap coming from there) and the rotterdam emo scene (mono just plain sucks). ON the other hand, transformed dreams is hip in amsterdam. But then again, just showing off in the Paradiso is already considered hip in Amsterdam, no matter which band is playing.

I think that zea would sure get some well deserved attention if they were on an international label. This track though does not really support my opinion though.

And about zZz: saw them twice. Enjoyable, but Zea >>>> zZz :D

babyletswhine
02-08-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Nothing/everything
I must say that i'm slightly biased in my opinion towards Zea, because i know Arnold de Boer, zea's main man, quite well. My experience is that the entire dutch music press tends to ignore zea, in favor for especially Seedling, Johan, the eindhoven hardrock scene (with some superior crap coming from there) and the rotterdam emo scene (mono just plain sucks). ON the other hand, transformed dreams is hip in amsterdam. But then again, just showing off in the Paradiso is already considered hip in Amsterdam, no matter which band is playing.

I think that zea would sure get some well deserved attention if they were on an international label. This track though does not really support my opinion though.

And about zZz: saw them twice. Enjoyable, but Zea >>>> zZz :D

daar komt de aap uit de mouw.
but youve got a point with the media attention. the way that everythings thats on excelsior is seen as gold bothers me a lot. And the point with amsterdam, yea lots of talking, but the vera has its own crowd as well.
There are some good bands, but excelsior has too much attention in the media i think.

Nothing/everything
02-08-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by babyletswhine
daar komt de aap uit de mouw.

:D he's the boyfriend of a friend of mine's sister.

The Vera crowd might be a talkative bunch of snobs, but they're sure not supportive of the local product. Whipster got quite a meager reception when opening for whip, Jimmy barock didn't really attract a crowd last time they played, and audiotransparent only managed to attract 80 people last time. But then again, the only stuff that keeps the vera crowd moving is either the Kaisers orchestra or a random crappy punk act like the vandals or something like that.

Sean Casey
02-08-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ
" I despise sampling in all of it's incarnations

It's no worse than your typical Thom Yorke "solo"

twice
02-08-2004, 08:08 PM
wow this is really bad.
but i like it.

Ihaman
02-09-2004, 02:02 AM
Oh boy.