View Full Version : A relationship question

spiralene
02-02-2004, 02:20 AM
Have any of you have broken up and then gotten back together one or more times with an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend? How long was the break up for? AND was it better the second (or third or fourth) time?

Ain't life grand.

Quagmire
02-02-2004, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by spiralene
Have any of you have broken up and then gotten back together one or more times with an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend? How long was the break up for? AND was it better the second (or third or fourth) time?

Ain't life grand.

it never lasts the 2nd/3rd/etc time

spava
02-02-2004, 02:22 AM
I have. Put it this way - if you broke up once, it was probably meant to be that way. Save yourself the heartache.

Axis of Action

Ain't life grand.

A girl and I have done it kind of a few times. It usually happens when you guys have known each other for many years, the emotions are terribly complex, and you guys are both retarded for each other but too stupid to make it work. Yeah. :(

2Marlon2Brando
Originally posted by ******

it never lasts the 2nd/3rd/etc time

Axis of Action
Originally posted by spava
I have. Put it this way - if you broke up once, it was probably meant to be that way. Save yourself the heartache.

Word. My post should have said this.

Dead
02-02-2004, 02:23 AM
Happened to me but I don't wanna talk about it. I'm moving on up!

spiralene
02-02-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Sehki
A girl and I have done it kind of a few times. It usually happens when you guys have known each other for many years, the emotions are terribly complex, and you guys are both retarded for each other but too stupid to make it work. Yeah. :(

That pretty much sums up the situation perfectly.

BlueStar
02-02-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by spava
if you broke up once, it was probably meant to be that way. Save yourself the heartache.

Exactly.

Axis of Action
02-02-2004, 03:01 AM

That pretty much sums up the situation perfectly.

My advice matches everyone else. Just... let it be. Move onto other people. Don't even think about it. If yours is like mine, then I know it's crazy painful to give up on, but you have to. It'll just lead to more heartbreak and so on. I had to stop talking to the girl for four months to even begin to get over her. Fortunately for me, she understood why I had to, and we're friends again. It's still rough for me, but I'll weather it. Meanwhile, I look towards other girls.

phaedrus
02-02-2004, 03:07 AM
yes. i think everyone has pretty much summed it up though.
things get terribly complex, and it's not worth the heartache. there will never be a time where you will both be 100% emotionally committed to the relationship again. when that happens, it's doomed to fail.

cheer up and move on. love can be found all around you.

<bgsound src=http://www.southperk.com/episode15/11518.wav>

Affectation
02-02-2004, 03:17 AM

Ain't life grand. Once you start breaking up and getting back together, it's all over. If any struggle happens to come along, one or more parties will simply pull the 'fuck this' and leave. It's not worth the effort now, I assure you.

Affectation
02-02-2004, 03:17 AM

My advice matches everyone else. Just... let it be. Move onto other people. Don't even think about it. If yours is like mine, then I know it's crazy painful to give up on, but you have to. It'll just lead to more heartbreak and so on. I had to stop talking to the girl for four months to even begin to get over her. Fortunately for me, she understood why I had to, and we're friends again. It's still rough for me, but I'll weather it. Meanwhile, I look towards other girls. You're thirteen. You know nothing about relationships.

Axis of Action
02-02-2004, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by Affectation
You're thirteen. You know nothing about relationships.

Right. Thanks.

Please examine the birthday in my profile, subtract, and realize your mistake.

You may be right about the relationships comment though.

alisonmonster
02-02-2004, 03:20 AM
i have the opposite sitch- i broke up with him after only 3 months- he left me for someone else. a year later we got back together for 5 and a half well wroth it years.sometimes things do change.

meow
02-02-2004, 03:55 AM
relationships are like a bandaid - you have to take them RIGHT OFF!!!

either that or they are like a vending machine. You have to rock them a few times to tip them over!

souvenir
02-02-2004, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by meow
relationships are like a bandaid - you have to take them RIGHT OFF!!!

either that or they are like a vending machine. You have to rock them a few times to tip them over!

what else?

not like lauching missles from a submarine?

obscured01
02-02-2004, 09:47 AM
<font color="DAB9E8">Well. We broke up once for a week, it was our second year together. It was stupid, and I'm the one who broke up with him, basicly because my mother said I couldn't see him anymore. A week later we got back together, with out my mother knowing... a few months later she told me she already knew we were together, to quit hiding it. This was back in high school so it was really dumb, now that I think of it. But anyway, we're still together, going on 6 years now.</font>

C33
02-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by obscured01
<font color="DAB9E8">we're still together, going on 6 years now.</font> jealous :(

wHATcOLOR
02-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Unless the reasons for you breaking up are gone, don't try it. For the reasons everyone said. If somehow those reasons are gone (for example if the only reason you broke up was because the other person moved far away, and you now live close again), and both people are willing, it might be worth a shot. But this hardly happens for anyone, ever.

guz
02-02-2004, 01:13 PM
it hardly ever works b/c emotions hide reality, and the reasons for breaking up in the first place are usually still there when you try it again. IMO, the only way a 2nd chance has a chance is when both partners move on and are comfortable with it...and come back wanting to start anew, not continuing where they left off. (not including those short-term silly 1 week breakups and what not.)

murgle
02-02-2004, 02:43 PM
Boyfriend and I were together for a little over 2 months, broke up (unwillingly by me. So I guess I was dumped), but got back together again about 2 weeks later (less than that, really), and things have been better than ever and I love him more than I ever have.

ammy
02-02-2004, 04:35 PM
yeah.. we were together for 3 months after being friends. broke up, didn't talk for 6 months.

started talking again, became friends again, got back together, 2 months, broke up again, hated eachother and didn't talk for about a year..

worked on friendship again, and again, fell into the trap.. broke up..

we're very good friends now, but damned if I would ever date him again... though I'm sure being married influences this decision :p

i have a bunch of friends who have been through this, none of them ended up in a relationship with that person in the end, and all of them were happried for it.

blackfaerie
02-02-2004, 05:47 PM

My advice matches everyone else. Just... let it be. Move onto other people. Don't even think about it. If yours is like mine, then I know it's crazy painful to give up on, but you have to. It'll just lead to more heartbreak and so on. I had to stop talking to the girl for four months to even begin to get over her. Fortunately for me, she understood why I had to, and we're friends again. It's still rough for me, but I'll weather it. Meanwhile, I look towards other girls.

:love:

oh really? time for caramel perhaps?

Axis of Action
02-02-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by blackfaerie

oh really? time for caramel perhaps?

Indeed, I think it just might be.

blackfaerie
02-02-2004, 05:52 PM

Indeed, I think it just might be.

:sexors: x10000000000000....

Axis of Action
02-02-2004, 05:53 PM

caramel(:sexors: x10000000000000....)

fixed it for you.

I'm such a dork. :(

blackfaerie
02-02-2004, 05:59 PM

fixed it for you.

I'm such a dork. :(

<3 :love: <3

Axis of Action
02-02-2004, 06:01 PM

<3 :love: <3

:erm ... :D ... :love: ... :sexors:

blackfaerie
02-02-2004, 06:06 PM

:erm ... :D ... :love: ... :sexors:

":erm"??!

Axis of Action
02-02-2004, 06:07 PM

":erm"??!

I dunno, I needed a segue. :o

blackfaerie
02-02-2004, 06:24 PM

I dunno, I needed a segue. :o

:(

Lizzy Lover
02-02-2004, 06:26 PM
i have done this soooo many times with my ex's he was a crazy mother fucker and i dont know what the hell i was thinking... the last time after he tried to steal my bird and pushed me down really hard i was like fuck this....

and a picture so you know who to stay away from

Axis of Action
02-02-2004, 06:27 PM

:(

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

blackfaerie
02-02-2004, 06:39 PM

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

*hugs and cuddles*

wHATcOLOR
02-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Lizzy Lover
and a picture so you know who to stay away from

noted, thanks for the heads up.

spiralene
02-02-2004, 08:31 PM
Okay, so ended up meeting with the ex in question last night for a beer and it ended as it always does - nothing resolved and me very hurt. It's so backwards and forwards.

We broke up 5 and 1/2 months ago after being together for two years (and living together for one). Before that we were best mates. We have only started talking again in the last month or so. Even after 4 months of no contact, everything just feels like it did when we left off.

It shits me because I'm 23 this year and things aren't getting any easier.

Thank you all for the advice.

mirrar
02-02-2004, 08:37 PM
Originally posted by Lizzy Lover
i have done this soooo many times with my ex's he was a crazy mother fucker and i dont know what the hell i was thinking... the last time after he tried to steal my bird and pushed me down really hard i was like fuck this....

and a picture so you know who to stay away from your new guy is much better. he doesn't look so... douche like.

Lizzy Lover
02-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Mirror_Untrue
your new guy is much better. he doesn't look so... douche like.

its funny my new guy was that ones best friend :(

i didnt really realize it i swear