View Full Version : Black people in the south are cool

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 10:35 AM
yep. They are totally different than blacks up in the North. They are relatively nice, they actually work, are considerate, and don't walk around all day acting pissed or like they're the shit. Amazing. I'm blown away by this notion. Not that I am racist but my general view of blacks is not one of high respect...until I went to the south.

Dead
01-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Wutchoo talkin bout, cracka?

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Dead
Wutchoo talkin bout, cracka?

that I'm a dumb white boy

Dead
01-29-2004, 10:45 AM
You're making progress as a decent human being, keep up the good work. :p

Lizzy Lover
01-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Ttravis Mmeekz
yep. They are totally different than blacks up in the North. They are relatively nice, they actually work, are considerate, and don't walk around all day acting pissed or like they're the shit. Amazing. I'm blown away by this notion. Not that I am racist but my general view of blacks is not one of high respect...until I went to the south.

mmm do you live in the south????

or have you ever been to memphis, this post is stereotyping !

Fattening Ass
01-29-2004, 11:09 AM
racist.

Nimrod
01-29-2004, 11:11 AM
I lived in the south. I can tell you I know the answer to this question. There are differences between both the whites AND the blacks down south vs up north.

The northerners are the better of both races.

Lizzy Lover
01-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Fattening Ass
racist.
im totally not a racist at all, but this is the stupidest post ever.... there are different classes of people everywhere... even poor stupid mean white folks....

Fattening Ass
01-29-2004, 11:12 AM
i wasn't talking about you....

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by Dead
You're making progress as a decent human being, keep up the good work. :p

thanks nigga

Lizzy Lover
01-29-2004, 11:15 AM
i wasn't talking about you....

woot :)

then means we are still on for tonight then?

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Lizzy Lover

mmm do you live in the south????

or have you ever been to memphis, this post is stereotyping !

Well I live in New Jersey but my company has a huge job going on in Savannah Georgia. They are putting me up in a nice apartment for the the next 9-12 months down there so for the time being I am an honorary southern man.

Lizzy Lover
01-29-2004, 11:16 AM

Well I live in New Jersey but my company has a huge job going on in Savannah Georgia. They are putting me up in a nice apartment for the the next 9-12 months down there so for the time being I am an honorary southern man.

putting you in a nice apartment in the south.... does that not say something right there?

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 11:18 AM
racist.

Why is that racist…I'm just being honest about my experiences. I know that I am generalizing but sometimes generalizations are largely true.

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 11:20 AM

putting you in a nice apartment in the south.... does that not say something right there?

no...what should it be saying?

Nimrod
01-29-2004, 11:21 AM

putting you in a nice apartment in the south.... does that not say something right there? Well, I don't think it does...

I went from NJ to TN. Like I said, it doesn't matter what race, the people are better up north. Also in the south, what race you are seems to be a big issue.. it wasn't that way for me in NJ, and it's not in Cali.

Travis Meekz
Originally posted by Nimrod
I lived in the south. I can tell you I know the answer to this question. There are differences between both the whites AND the blacks down south vs up north.

The northerners are the better of both races.

The northern way of life is better, however, I have doubts about the people.

Fattening Ass

Why is that racist…I'm just being honest about my experiences. I know that I am generalizing but sometimes generalizations are largely true. Generaliztions are hardly ever right.

I guess i shouldn't be commenting here either, as i would probably post something similar.

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 11:23 AM

Also in the south, what race you are seems to be a big issue.. it wasn't that way for me in NJ

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you there.

Nimrod
01-29-2004, 11:26 AM

I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with you there. You think it was that way for me in NJ? How can you disagree?

sawdust restaurants
01-29-2004, 11:28 AM
I don't understand why people think it's fine and dandy to post generalizations on here and say they're not racist when, in a face-to-face conversation, that same comment would elicit disgust and charges of racism without fail.

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 11:29 AM
You think it was that way for me in NJ? How can you disagree?

I disagree that skin color in nj is largely overlooked

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
I don't understand why people think it's fine and dandy to post generalizations on here and say they're not racist when, in a face-to-face conversation, that same comment would elicit disgust and charges of racism without fail.

Because there is no need to be PC here and no negative results from a generalization will occur. I believe this is not a racist statement. I am saying black people in the south are nicer and better people than blacks in the north. Switch white with black and the statement seems hardly racist.

sawdust restaurants
01-29-2004, 11:37 AM
Because there is no need to be PC here and no negative results from a generalization will occur. I believe this is not a racist statement. I am saying black people in the south are nicer and better people than blacks in the north. Switch white with black and the statement seems hardly racist.

they actually work -- that has little to nothing to do with anything except to perpetuate the stereotype of blacks as lazy coons
my general view of blacks is not one of high respect -- this speaks for itself.

I'm not trying to condemn you. Well, I guess I am. You're right about the fact that if you were solely talking about regional differences, it wouldn't be a big deal. That's cultural. But you've still said some racist things in here, and I think Americans say these things far too often without realizing them or, worse, while thinking it's OK, and it's not OK.

Nimrod
01-29-2004, 11:40 AM

I disagree that skin color in nj is largely overlooked You must live in south jersey, or toward Philly.

Anyway, it's 50 times worse in the south.

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 11:44 AM

-- that has little to nothing to do with anything except to perpetuate the stereotype of blacks as lazy coons
-- this speaks for itself.

I'm not trying to condemn you. Well, I guess I am. You're right about the fact that if you were solely talking about regional differences, it wouldn't be a big deal. That's cultural. But you've still said some racist things in here, and I think Americans say these things far too often without realizing them or, worse, while thinking it's OK, and it's not OK.

Well maybe the work thing was thrown in for entertainment value so I take that back. All I can speak about is my experiences and my experiences have shown that many experiences with black people have been negative experiences. That is why my respect of them is a tad bit low. Now, since I have had good experiences with black people the past two months, my opinion is becoming of a better one. That is basically what I am trying to say. I'm sure someone here can agree with me about the regional differences?

Lizzy Lover
01-29-2004, 11:45 AM

no...what should it be saying?

you were in the nice part of town.. thus all the people probably had a higher education than others in the city... next time ask your company to stick you in the hood

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 11:46 AM
You must live in south jersey, or toward Philly.

Anyway, it's 50 times worse in the south.

hour directly west from the city....right on the border of PA. Fuck south jersey and the cherry hill likes

Nimrod
01-29-2004, 11:46 AM

hour directly west from the city....right on the border of PA. Fuck south jersey and the cherry hill likes Well it wasn't like that for me in Bergen County.

sawdust restaurants
01-29-2004, 11:50 AM
Well maybe the work thing was thrown in for entertainment value so I take that back. All I can speak about is my experiences and my experiences have shown that many experiences with black people have been negative experiences. That is why my respect of them is a tad bit low. Now, since I have had good experiences with black people the past two months, my opinion is becoming of a better one. That is basically what I am trying to say. I'm sure someone here can agree with me about the regional differences?

Don't you realize how self-centered of a viewpoint this is? The entire point of being an open-minded person is to look past your own experiences and see why you think the way you do.

I do agree with you about the regional differences. I like living in the South, and ALL the people are different, not just blacks or whites. But to say you have low respect for an entire race just because your experiences (which are colored, and I daresay tainted, by yours and everyone's cultural prejudices) were bad smacks of short-sightedness.

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 11:50 AM

you were in the nice part of town.. thus all the people probably had a higher education than others in the city... next time ask your company to stick you in the hood

oh, I understand what you are saying now. Trust me, I worked in Augusta Ga for a few months...the absolute worst part of the city....we found 4 needles laying on the ground by a former crack house and our equipment got stolen three times.

but how those bad parts have come about is a whole other topic...

machinaddict
01-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Also in the south, what race you are seems to be a big issue.. it wasn't that way for me in NJ, and it's not in Cali.
unless you are mexican?

Nimrod
01-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by machinaddict

unless you are mexican? Different situation. Blacks and whites where I grew up were all legal citizens. If, say, every day black people were swimming over from Africa and whites were sneaking in from Canada, then that would be a good comparison.

Lizzy Lover
01-29-2004, 11:58 AM
Different situation. Blacks and whites where I grew up were all legal citizens. If, say, every day black people were swimming over from Africa and whites were sneaking in from Canada, then that would be a good comparison.

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 12:12 PM

Don't you realize how self-centered of a viewpoint this is? The entire point of being an open-minded person is to look past your own experiences and see why you think the way you do.

I do agree with you about the regional differences. I like living in the South, and ALL the people are different, not just blacks or whites. But to say you have low respect for an entire race just because your experiences (which are colored, and I daresay tainted, by yours and everyone's cultural prejudices) were bad smacks of short-sightedness.

Yes, I do realize this is totally a self-centered viewpoint. I am open minded and I realize that there is a whole array of different, cultural, environmental, social, industrial, educational, political....factors that contribute to why and how a certain group of people act and live. I do realize that all people are different. It is my decision to put a little bit of prejudices on a group of people and it is my decision to change that opinion whenever I feel the need to.

sawdust restaurants
01-29-2004, 12:16 PM
It is my decision to put a little bit of prejudices on a group of people

Fine. Just don't say you're not racist, then.

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 12:19 PM

Fine. Just don't say you're not racist, then.

But that is such a strong word that usually denotes a strong feeling of hatred towards a race. That is not the case here...I prefer generalized opinions if it makes you happy.

spa ced
01-29-2004, 01:11 PM
You sound like a low fat racist.
Racist lite, maybe.

Travis Meekz
01-29-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by spa ced
You sound like a low fat racist.
Racist lite, maybe.

and your opinion doesn't matter to me

BeautifulLoser
01-29-2004, 01:43 PM

If you're being sarcastic, then haha..

If you're serious, I notice exactly the opposite. :erm

sawdust restaurants
01-29-2004, 02:34 PM
But that is such a strong word that usually denotes a strong feeling of hatred towards a race. That is not the case here...I prefer generalized opinions if it makes you happy.

Maybe you don't hate black people, but I would venture to say that most folks don't flat-out hate people of other races in this day and age. To me, the subtle, venomous prejudice that you're talking about in this thread is the kind of racism that really hurts people of ALL races.

Put it this way: If a black family moved in next door to you, would you assume that they were going to be obnoxious?

If you said yes, I think there's a problem there.

And know that I'm not just slamming you. I know of maybe one or two people in this world who are truly, genuinely color-blind, and I'm certainly not one of them. I just believe we should really examine the ways we think and why we think that way, and I just can't accept that some people think their generalizations are benign. They're not.