View Full Version : New Foo Fighters

Enisled
10-31-2002, 05:00 PM
geez. do you think dave grohl might have been just a tiny, teeny wittle bit influenced by his time spent with QOTSA? jesus christ...

Irrelevant
10-31-2002, 05:12 PM
i don't like the single they released but i heard another song off of it on KJHK and it wasn't bad.

Enisled
10-31-2002, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Irrelevant
i don't like the single they released but i heard another song off of it on KJHK and it wasn't bad.

i think it's a decent album, it just sounds exactly like QOTSA

Finsta
10-31-2002, 05:31 PM
It sounds absolutely NOTHING like QOTSA. Are you listening to the same record as I am?

The Gaddrow
10-31-2002, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Finsta
It sounds absolutely NOTHING like QOTSA.

French lover Sébastien
10-31-2002, 05:49 PM
they should have called it "Rated-G"

kypper
10-31-2002, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by French lover Sébastien
they should have called it "Rated-G"

It sounds a lot more like Colour and the Shape, than TINLTL which is rated Family. :p

The Pantsmaster
10-31-2002, 08:13 PM
i think its a pretty weak album, not even close to the colour and the shape.

Cretin Soup
10-31-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by The Pantsmaster
i think its a pretty weak album, not even close to the colour and the shape.

Most of the reviews I've read say the same thing, but I rate Colour and the Shape last out of all 4 albums.

The Pantsmaster
11-01-2002, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Cretin Soup

Most of the reviews I've read say the same thing, but I rate Colour and the Shape last out of all 4 albums.
really? colour and the shape is by far my favorite foo album. whats first on your list?

azvd
11-01-2002, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by Finsta
It sounds absolutely NOTHING like QOTSA. Are you listening to the same record as I am?

i think its a pretty weak album, not even close to the colour and the shape

Look like Grohl focused all his energy into QotSA and left Foo Fighters a little bit. Anyways, I believe it's an album aimed to big masses, so he managed to make things a little bit smoothier than he did in QotSA.

The album requires a few more listens from me until I have a final opinion.

-AZVD.

Cretin Soup
11-01-2002, 09:00 PM

really? colour and the shape is by far my favorite foo album. whats first on your list?

TINLTL is my top choice. I really love the way the album sounds and the songs are great. The debut and the newest one float about somewhere in the middle, both sounding good but with equal hits and misses on each.

The Colour and the Shape is a good album and I enjoy listening to it, but it just seems a little unfocused as far as the songwriting goes.

My favourite tracks on that record are Doll, Monkey Wrench, February Stars, Everlong and New Way Home.

azvd
11-01-2002, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Cretin Soup
The Colour and the Shape is a good album and I enjoy listening to it, but it just seems a little unfocused as far as the songwriting goes.

TCATS has the strongest songs Grohl have ever written. And also the best production, even with the feeling that they hired Gil Norton to assemble an extreme Pixies influence into it. The only one that has a well-defined punch. Both TINLTL and 1by1 have problems in terms of production while presenting over-produced guitars. Too much polished. Even though, TINLTL features excelents songs like "Next Year" and "Aurora". I just wish Gil Norton had produced this one as well.

-AZVD.

The Pantsmaster
11-01-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by azvd

TCATS has the strongest songs Grohl have ever written. And also the best production, even with the feeling that they hired Gil Norton to assemble an extreme Pixies influence into it. The only one that has a well-defined punch. Both TINLTL and 1by1 have problems in terms of production while presenting over-produced guitars. Too much polished. Even though, TINLTL features excelents songs like "Next Year" and "Aurora". I just wish Gil Norton had produced this one as well.

-AZVD.
i absolutely agree with you. i'd say TCATS is one of my favorite albums of the 90's, but their last two albums have been severely disappointing.

Fattening Ass
11-02-2002, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by azvd

-AZVD.

jlo
11-02-2002, 06:34 PM

i absolutely agree with you. i'd say TCATS is one of my favorite albums of the 90's, but their last two albums have been severely disappointing.

Age Of Empathy
11-03-2002, 04:55 PM
I saw them live on Muchmusic and I wasn't very impressed by the new stuff. I didn't get into QOTSA so I don't have much to compare to, but All My Life is a shit song so I'm not gonna rush out to buy that album.

TINLTL was a poppy album, but had some good tunes. Colour & the Shape was overrated I thought ...

ChristHimself!
11-03-2002, 07:33 PM
I still love the colour and the shape to bits and i never really liked their debut all that much.. tinltl was good, i really enjoyed it but I think I like one by one better... it's heavier than tinltl but it seems they've still retained some of their poppiness and it seems they've learned some lessons from the last album.

sweetanthony
11-03-2002, 07:48 PM
you guys are right when it comes with the new cd. I've been trying to give it a chance but it just doesn't go all the way. its lacking full attention to what could have been.

and please someone tell me I'm not crazy when it comes to the fact that Taylor Hawkins does not bring anything to the band as the drummer! He is far below Grohl's skill level behind the kit and while Grohl raves about him (spin) he is actually holding the sound back by not drumming with the intensity that should be felt within the context of these songs.

The Colour and the Shape overpowers the two last records due to the fact that Dave was drumming (on most all the songs). The production was greater too. the list could go on and on, but I still want to like this band, for some reason.

kypper
11-03-2002, 09:00 PM
Fuck you all.
Their first album ruled.

ZERO
11-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by kypper
Fuck you all.
Their first album ruled.

i agree

so did the colour and shape. everything else kinda sucked. i havent heard their latest though.

aldango
11-03-2002, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Enisled

i think it's a decent album, it just sounds exactly like QOTSA

SPheart9
11-03-2002, 10:53 PM
it's rather funny, because at work a few weeks ago when the new single was on the radio, a co-worker and i didn't know it was the foo fighters and were bothing thinking at the same time that we thought it sounded lot like NIN(at least really trent-esque vocals or something)

but yeah, no one else will agree, i'm sure.

kypper
11-04-2002, 12:36 AM
Originally posted by SPheart9
it's rather funny, because at work a few weeks ago when the new single was on the radio, a co-worker and i didn't know it was the foo fighters and were bothing thinking at the same time that we thought it sounded lot like NIN(at least really trent-esque vocals or something)

but yeah, no one else will agree, i'm sure.

No, I can kind of see that.

Virex_Gaze6
11-04-2002, 12:58 AM
one day I shall get this album.

Fattening Ass
11-04-2002, 01:20 AM
<font color=018f81>I do not like the "sound" of 1x1. I don't mean the sound direction, but the mixing/mastering sound. It hurts my ears. Good songs, Horrible sound :( :( :( :(

Cretin Soup
11-04-2002, 11:10 AM
I'll fold on that comment and agree with you. Whilst I think the later albums are the best stuff Dave has done, the new album is totally lacking in noticable drum power. Taylor just doesn't really impress on the latest album at all. I saw them live just before it was released and he was totally amazing, but on record he's kinda subdued.

Similar to the lack of strong prescence from Chad Smith on the new RHCP album too I thought...

Drums = understated and underused.