View Full Version : Do you guys volunteer anywhere?

pink_ribbon_scars
01-16-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm a volunteer tour guide at The Museum of Contemporary Art, and I'd like to volunteer at a community garden this spring and summer. If you've had any experience with community gardens, please tell me all about it.

Lizard Queen
01-16-2004, 03:24 PM
I volunteer at the People's Potato once a week.

They serve free or pay-what-you-can vegan meals to students at my university. They kept me in food all of last semester, so now I serve food for them.

pink_ribbon_scars
01-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Lizard Queen
I volunteer at the People's Potato once a week.

They serve free or pay-what-you-can vegan meals to students at my university. They kept me in food all of last semester, so now I serve food for them.

Woah, that sounds like a cool place.

ammy
01-16-2004, 03:36 PM
i used to volunteer at the SPCA spay/neuter clinic. it was neet.

but then I realized that I couldn't manage work, school, and volunteering, so I had to stop :(

Mason R Butler
01-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Netphoria.

mirrar
i love volunteering
i've volunteered at a vet, a humane society, a zoo, mothers against drunk driving, and my most recent one: at a distress (suicide hotline) centre where I talked people out of killing themselves and called the cops when it didn't look like they were going to make it. I'm seriously considering volunteering at a shelter but I'm too scared to call them just yet.. we'll see.

cap'n jazz
I VOLUNTEER ALL OVER YR FACE

meow
01-16-2004, 03:38 PM
I used to volunteer at parks and recreation when i was in high school... and now i am volunteering at a confidential centre. We don't even know where the place IS yet!

THRILLHO
01-16-2004, 03:40 PM
i volunteered for music and arts festivals and for my old school's equipment desk and help desk and a radio station and i think i'm going to do a radio station again soon.

blackfaerie
01-16-2004, 03:44 PM
i might be volunteering for a senior dogs thing. i used to volunteer for PSR at my church.

Lizard Queen
01-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by pink_ribbon_scars

Woah, that sounds like a cool place.

Buy our cookbook! It's only $10CAN!

pink_ribbon_scars
01-16-2004, 03:56 PM
When I lived in the middle of nowhere, I shelved books at the local public library.

When I came to college, I volunteered for the Chicago Park District's Partners In Art project, which is similar if not identical to what you may have seen on The Real World Chicago (I didn't watch that season but I heard about it). It was an after school program where older kids came in and worked on a mural, then the little kids came in and the older kids helped them work on the mural. An artist and I supervised and helped them plan. Those kids were hilarious. All the little girls were in love with Ginuwine and Little Bow Wow or however you spell their names.

pink_ribbon_scars
01-16-2004, 03:56 PM

Buy our cookbook! It's only $10CAN!

Do you guys have a website? I could check it out.

Lizard Queen
01-16-2004, 03:57 PM

Do you guys have a website? I could check it out.

No :(

pink_ribbon_scars
01-16-2004, 03:58 PM

No :(

Oh well. I swear I'll keep it in mind and I may contact you. I've acquired a lot of great cookbooks lately and I've got more material than I can handle right now.

coffee spoons
01-16-2004, 04:01 PM
http://www.freedomforum.org/graphics/illos/sign.adopt-a-highway.jpg

Nimrod
01-16-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm a volunteer tour guide at The Museum of Contemporary Art, and I'd like to volunteer at a community garden this spring and summer. If you've had any experience with community gardens, please tell me all about it. You should volunteer at a drug rehab center. From what I can see, ChiTown needs a few more of those.

pale blue eyes
01-16-2004, 04:11 PM
I used to work for a suicide hotline and read books to kids in high school but all I can manage to do now is volunteer with my friend at a soup kitchen during my semester breaks. I love volunteering but I just don't have all the free time I used to anymore.

I_was_aborted
01-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod
You should volunteer at a drug rehab center. From what I can see, ChiTown needs a few more of those.

You do know she lives with ME right?

It is like being at a rehab center...but without the rehab part. Liz and I love to share our needles with friends, so if you want a fix come on over.

Nimrod
01-16-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by I_was_aborted

You do know she lives with ME right? Yes, that was a large part of the equation.

I_was_aborted
01-16-2004, 04:15 PM
I would rather be addicted to heroin than watchin sports on weekends.

coffee spoons
01-16-2004, 04:23 PM
I would rather be addicted to heroin than watchin sports on weekends.

Youre a closet fag then tubbby.

Nimrod
01-16-2004, 04:24 PM
I would rather be addicted to heroin than watchin sports on weekends. Slow down there, Darryl Strawberry.

mewl
01-16-2004, 04:27 PM
i volunteered A LOT in high school. not so much anymore. in fact, not at all...:(

GreenEggsNSpam
01-16-2004, 04:40 PM
Marge: Hmm, I don't know, Bart. You're only ten.

Lisa: I've got a weekend job helping the poor and I'm only eight.

Homer: That's not a job, it's a waste of time. What can poor people pay you? Nothing! What satisfaction you get from helping them? None! Who wants to help poor people anyway? Nobody!

oui henri
01-16-2004, 05:08 PM
i volunteer at a daycare and now they want to employ me once a week.

i would like to sign up for Youth Assisting Youth again, i just have to figure out when they're having their meeting.