View Full Version : Why is Pitchfork always so late reviewing CDs?

Mayfuck
10-30-2002, 05:37 PM
I noticed they put up a review for a David Grubbs album that I recall came out last spring. I know they do this often, because they did the same with Saloon, Manual, Fenn O'Berg, Photon Band, Fischerspooner, Interpol and just about everything else they review. Do they wait for the albums to digest before writing about them? Then why are they quick to reviewing popular bands who put out albums with a lot of hype and expectations attatched to them (Sigur Ros, Flaming Lips, GYBE!)?

Kill The Poor
10-30-2002, 06:10 PM
They haven't reviewed the new Sigur Ros yet.

Cactuar
10-30-2002, 06:15 PM
They wait until they receive a copy of it to review.

They do not go out and buy the cds themselves.

Mayfuck
10-30-2002, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Kill The Poor
They haven't reviewed the new Sigur Ros yet.

Oh.

Mayfuck
10-30-2002, 06:39 PM
Okay, anyone want to answer my question though?

Best Looking Boy
10-30-2002, 08:05 PM
Because they don't cater to you, they cater to the majority of people that read their publication who want to see reviews of popular stuff. Considering the number of albums that come out I'm not surprised they release a lot of reviews so late after the album came out, but there are plenty of albums they completely miss.

Mason R Butler
10-30-2002, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck
a) a lot of reviews sent in by people looking to become part of the staff, so they're not necessarily running out to get a new release Monday night to meet a deadline
b) As Cataur mentioned, they don't buy CD's, they often wait for review copies, or often wait until they can buy them used/cheaply.
c) Who said you need to review a record the day it comes out or a week before/after?

Why do you care? Don't they cover stuff that's a little too "mainstream" for you?

Best Looking Boy
10-30-2002, 09:26 PM
That's just a front though.

SmashingZeppelins
10-30-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Mayfuck

They wait until the record sells more than 11 copies so they know it's for real.

sawdust restaurants
10-31-2002, 12:35 AM
As people have been saying, they don't get most of what they review in the mail. They either download it or buy it. So naturally they can't stay on top of everything, and they are late. That Standard CD they reviewed yesterday was in rotation at the radio station something like three months ago.