9. Bodies
10. Thirty-Three
11. In The Arms Of Sleep
12. 1979
13. Thru The Eyes Of Ruby
14. X.Y.U.
15. By Starlight
16. Farewell And Goodnight

That's taking off the songs that were voted off first, second, etc. until the songs left could fit on one disc. Would you have been happy if this had been released as the album as opposed to the double album?

jamesey
10-30-2002, 09:26 AM
if there is a way to fit the actualy MCIS song, it'd be better

i'd trade arms of sleep for jellybelly

nancykitten
10-30-2002, 10:27 AM
no, no, no..it was a classic double album.

sawdust restaurants
10-30-2002, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by nancykitten

I hate when people say this. To this day I still think it would have been better, and more acclaimed, as a single disc. Some of those songs are so obviously b-side material it hurts.

Junebug
10-30-2002, 05:54 PM
yeah actually that looks really good. But at the same time, I love the "b-side" songs. The whole WOCOAN->beautiful->lily->By Starlight part rocks my socks off, heh. I'm glad they released it the way they did.

nancykitten
10-30-2002, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants

I hate when people say this. To this day I still think it would have been better, and more acclaimed, as a single disc. Some of those songs are so obviously b-side material it hurts.

It was a double album in an age when double albums were considered commerical suicide. Not only did they survive but MCIS was considered a commerical and artistic success. I don't believe there's obvious filler on the album, people love all different songs on it.

Crono
10-30-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by TheDeuce
Based on the voting in MCIS Survivor:

1. Tonight, Tonight
2. Zero
3. Here Is No Why
4. Bullet With Butterfly Wings
5. Fuck You (An Ode To No One)
6. Galapogos
7. Muzzle
8. Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans
9. Bodies
10. Thirty-Three
11. In The Arms Of Sleep
12. 1979
13. Thru The Eyes Of Ruby
14. X.Y.U.
15. By Starlight
16. Farewell And Goodnight

As a single disc, that actually looks pretty awesome. But no, it was a double disc and there was no filler. If there had been filler we wouldn't have got TAFH with 28 new songs and god knows how many other demos billy did of songs but they never got off the ground

Death rock boy
10-31-2002, 11:14 AM
Just to spin this debate on a tangent a little, if it was a single album the way the album has been produced and recorded would alienate it from sounding right. The kind of slightly 'thrown together' aspect of the entire album and its production style kind of make it necessary to have a lot of songs on there.

I dunno, I can't explain it really, it just sounds like it needs a lot of different songs to make the production work.

Also, if it had been recorded as a single album it probably would have sounded a bit different anyway.

jamesey
10-31-2002, 07:13 PM
non pumpkin fanatics even admit that there is no filler.

the whole damn thing is good.

shaniqua
10-31-2002, 08:16 PM
no take me down.

MstrGhost
11-01-2002, 08:18 AM
that whould make an hell of an album!

scouse_dave
11-01-2002, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by jamesey
non pumpkin fanatics even admit that there is no filler.
WHAT?

the album literally reeks of filler

sawdust restaurants
11-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by Crono
As a single disc, that actually looks pretty awesome. But no, it was a double disc and there was no filler. If there had been filler we wouldn't have got TAFH with 28 new songs and god knows how many other demos billy did of songs but they never got off the ground

You are sorely misunderestimating Billy's ego. He releases way too much, especially post-Siamese Dream. MCIS is 28 songs; Adore is 16; Machina is 15. All of them could have benefitted from some careful trimming.

Nate the Grate
11-01-2002, 02:41 PM

You are sorely misunderestimating Billy's ego. He releases way too much, especially post-Siamese Dream. MCIS is 28 songs; Adore is 16; Machina is 15. All of them could have benefitted from some careful trimming.

I really don't understand the whole "less is more" argument. I mean, who WOULDN'T want more songs? If you don't like it, who cares, just move on to the next song.

sawdust restaurants
11-01-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Nate the Grate
I really don't understand the whole "less is more" argument. I mean, who WOULDN'T want more songs? If you don't like it, who cares, just move on to the next song.

Sure, I'd love to have more songs released, and yes, bad songs are easily skipped, but they still mar the overall quality of an album. I'm not saying I don't like having MCIS as two discs. I do. But it would be a better album as one, which was my original objection--"classic double album" seemed kind of a silly thing to say when there are at least seven or eight mediocre songs on there.

nancykitten
11-01-2002, 04:57 PM

Sure, I'd love to have more songs released, and yes, bad songs are easily skipped, but they still mar the overall quality of an album. I'm not saying I don't like having MCIS as two discs. I do. But it would be a better album as one, which was my original objection--"classic double album" seemed kind of a silly thing to say when there are at least seven or eight mediocre songs on there.

umm, i can't find those mediocre songs.

jalora
11-01-2002, 11:28 PM
I would say the following are all mediocre songs better left off the album:

Fuck You
Love
Cupid De Locke
Take Me Down
X.Y.U.
Lily
Beautiful

sawdust restaurants
11-02-2002, 02:34 AM

This is subjective, so whatever if you can't, but I find it hard to believe you can really think something like Take Me Down or Lily is up to the caliber of the other songs on the album.

scouse_dave
11-02-2002, 03:39 AM
i don't understand everyone's objections to Take Me Down. I'm with Shaunna on this one....i think it's pretty good

the filler for me is:
Love
Beautiful
WOCOAN
Lily
Cupid de Locke

shaniqua
11-02-2002, 07:04 AM
Originally posted by scouse_dave
i don't understand everyone's objections to Take Me Down. I'm with Shaunna on this one....i think it's pretty good

:cheers:

Smiley
11-03-2002, 12:05 AM

Yeah, they aren't on my copy either. I think those other guys got ripped off and they must be listening to a bad bootleg copy or something.

Or wait, are you guys talking about the Recliner double album? Yeah, that one has a few mediocre songs on it!

Virex_Gaze6
11-03-2002, 12:39 AM

Apart
11-03-2002, 01:18 AM
you're all complete fucking morons. that album was amazing, and kicks every single one of your sorry asses to the moon and back.

yeah, real SP fans we got here. losers.

sawdust restaurants
11-03-2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Apart
you're all complete fucking morons.

If Kris says so, it must be true!

THRILLHO
11-03-2002, 05:20 PM
you know, i think about this sometimes, and it does seem obvious that it would make a better single album, AFTER LISTENING TO IT FIVE MILLION TIMES. at the time, when i was 15, i fell in love with every track and would declare you all (and myself now) insane.

and besides, for every track i or you consider medicore i bet there's at least one on TAFH you'd consider album-worthy. imagine it from billy corgan's pov: he just wrote and recorded over 50 songs. he just heard them nine hundred thousand times each through their inceptions, the takes, the overdubs and the mixdown. it's a completley different frame of mind than a listener. and never mind that in hindsight, things always seem to be different. regrets are inevitable. and it's impossible to know which songs will stand the test of time. at the time, i remember beautiful being heralded as a breakthrough, standout track... do you really think when billy chose to put it on the album he hesitated, thinking "well, after fans listen to it ad nauseum over 7 years, it would get voted off early in MCIS survivor?"

but that's one of the reasons i like that album, because it represents the choices made then, in that frame of mind, at that time. not now. it's a "warts + all" album. gish + SD were really calculated, and it creates a nice contrast.

i'd also like to point out that the wall, the white album and physical graffiti all have at least a few shitty tracks, but i like them and they're classic for the same reasons i just stated. almost all albums have some filler, and to have even one hour worth of solid gold non-filler is a hell of an accomplishment.

although even at the time, he really should've seen through Take Me Down. i will never, ever understand that. :)

Ugly
11-03-2002, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by scouse_dave
the filler for me is:
Love
Beautiful
WOCOAN
Lily
Cupid de Locke

yeah, you totally nailed it there.

Apart
11-03-2002, 10:32 PM

heh, what a complete idiot.

sarasvati
11-03-2002, 11:07 PM
kicks every single one of your sorry asses to the moon and back.

:love:

Yeah..mcis is amazing...in my opinion, its perfect just the way it is.

Apart
11-03-2002, 11:54 PM
Originally posted by sarasvati

:love:

:eyesp:

sarasvati
11-04-2002, 12:09 PM

:eyesp:

Aww, I got shot down. Can we still be friends?

Apart
11-04-2002, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by sarasvati

Aww, I got shot down. Can we still be friends?

nah, i dont associate myself with dumbfuck hub mod's who play bad-ass to compensate. thanks anyways though ;)

sarasvati
11-04-2002, 05:48 PM

nah, i dont associate myself with dumbfuck hub mod's who play bad-ass to compensate. thanks anyways though ;)

Well, you're no fun.

Dead
11-09-2002, 04:13 PM

http://members.rogers.com/zerolove/netfub.gif