View Full Version : there's been a recent resurge on this board

sawdust restaurants
12-29-2003, 02:20 PM
of people saying that we "indie fucks" liking things because they are not popular/cool among a certain crowd.

all of you guys saying that are imbeciles. nobody here listens to stuff because it's cool. i, for example, don't care for joy division, probably the ultimate "indie cred" group. sean casey was telling me the other day how he doesn't think jay-z is that great. ryan patrick still likes amon tobin about five years after it was cool to like him. and so on.

can the bullshit. it's fucking annoying, and you just sound like a whiny bitch when you say it.

cap'n jazz
12-29-2003, 02:24 PM
lol this post is soooooo indie.

But anyway, well said Sawdust Café, I love you.

2Marlon2Brando
12-29-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants
of people saying that we "indie fucks" liking things because they are not popular/cool among a certain crowd.

all of you guys saying that are imbeciles. nobody here listens to stuff because it's cool. i, for example, don't care for joy division, probably the ultimate "indie cred" group. sean casey was telling me the other day how he doesn't think jay-z is that great. ryan patrick still likes amon tobin about five years after it was cool to like him. and so on.

can the bullshit. it's fucking annoying, and you just sound like a whiny bitch when you say it.

Thnx. I hadn't rubbed one out in a while.

Nimrod's Son
12-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Um, if they were good, everyone would like them, hello.....

machinaddict
12-29-2003, 03:39 PM
sean casey was telling me the other day how he doesn't think jay-z is that great.
jay-z is indie?

Lie
12-29-2003, 03:49 PM

I find it annoying, too, but you know you don't have to come running every time someone says "indie fuck." (Unless it's a command.)

Lil Apache
12-29-2003, 03:50 PM

indiesnob bullshit

eyesbomb
12-29-2003, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by Lil Apache

indiesnob bullshit

word

Lie
12-29-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by eyesbomb
word

Siamese Dream is better than Mellon Collie, follower. Put that in your pipe and inhale it like to wake you up, fool.

nofx420fugazi
12-29-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Lie

Siamese Dream is better than Mellon Collie.

Whatever, dude. Whatever.

eyesbomb
12-29-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Lie

Siamese Dream is better than Mellon Collie, follower. Put that in your pipe and inhale it like to wake you up, fool.

I stopped smoking, crackwhore
:(

Isle
12-29-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
Um, if they were good, everyone would like them, hello.....

Lie
12-29-2003, 05:23 PM
NegaBenji76: Hey, you said you read the harmony central boards right?

ladragonkiller: I haven't that much lately.

NegaBenji76: I took a look over there and couldn't believe how much crap there was

ladragonkiller: Like what?

NegaBenji76: I don't know, it seemed like a bunch of people constantly bitchign at each other... like netphoria, only it was a music forum

ladragonkiller: Haha.

sickbadthing
12-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Jay-Z fucking sucks. Fuck this thread and fuck all of you.

Mr. Rhinoceros
12-29-2003, 07:51 PM

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">You know what's fucking annoying? When someone says "So and so isn't so great because they made an album that was fantastic and never reached that plateau again." That's fucking annoying.</font>

sawdust restaurants
12-29-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">You know what's fucking annoying? When someone says "So and so isn't so great because they made an album that was fantastic and never reached that plateau again." That's fucking annoying.</font>

Like Jay-Z?

sawdust restaurants
12-29-2003, 09:53 PM
But seriously, I know I don't have to defend people's honor or anything like that. I'm just venting.

bonsor
12-30-2003, 12:08 AM
nobody here listens to stuff because it's cool.

...amon tobin about five years after it was cool to like him.

sawdust restaurants
12-30-2003, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by ******

Did you read what I wrote? The whole point was that it's not the flavor of the week--it's just what he likes, or what anybody here likes.

bonsor
12-30-2003, 12:49 AM

Did you read what I wrote? The whole point was that it's not the flavor of the week--it's just what he likes, or what anybody here likes. yeah, i read what you wrote. you said that nobody like music to be cool, and give an instance of a band that is cool to like.

sawdust restaurants
12-30-2003, 12:54 AM
yeah, i read what you wrote. you said that nobody like music to be cool, and give an instance of a band that is cool to like.

"nobody here listens to stuff because it's cool"

which as far as i know is true. maybe there's a few true hipsters lying around, but i don't know them. the love that all the supposed "indie" kids have for music here is very real and unaffected, even if they can be smarmy about it.

bonsor
12-30-2003, 01:01 AM

"nobody here listens to stuff because it's cool"

which as far as i know is true. maybe there's a few true hipsters lying around, but i don't know them. the love that all the supposed "indie" kids have for music here is very real and unaffected, even if they can be smarmy about it. you want hipsters? read the np: threads.

ZackZ
12-30-2003, 01:03 AM
Read this:
Indie Fucks (http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=1880)

I know a fair share of "indie" folks. My girlfriend is one. :( They're ok in person...they just turn into assholes on message boards. ;)

Addendum:
radio absinthe: WHAT THE SHIT
radio absinthe: no one makes fun of the smiths
radio absinthe: OR pavement
radio absinthe: OR my bloody valentine

:rofl:

Fattening Ass
12-30-2003, 02:59 AM
music snobs in general suck, they come in many forms.

this thread sucks.

Ihaman
12-30-2003, 04:07 AM
How come Ryan Patrick isn't constantly badgered for his taste in music when ours is pretty much the same?

sawdust restaurants
12-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Ihaman
How come Ryan Patrick isn't constantly badgered for his taste in music when ours is pretty much the same?

you post about the crappy side of your taste, never the good side.

wounded
12-30-2003, 01:08 PM
i don't care if you like an indie band. what really pisses me off is when someone can't like a band because they are too mainstream, or too popular.

pine trees
06-28-2004, 05:43 PM
I am bumping this thread because there is yet another increase of idiots (if you are, ZackZ, Isle) who have a completely moronic and ignorant view of indie music.

Mr. Rhinoceros
06-28-2004, 06:00 PM

Like Jay-Z?

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I don't even listen to Jay-Z so I don't even know what you're on about.

I get tired of this "the only thing so and so ever did was such and such and therefore the rest of his life is inconcequential. I'm going to go listen to something obscure now that probably no one will remember next month on the off chance that they become superstars and I can say they suck because they were better when they weren't famous. This also makes my musical sensibilities more finely tuned than yours because I've listened to everything ever recorded."

You radiate that every time you post. Even more than Ryan Patrick.

Mr. Rhinoceros
06-28-2004, 06:02 PM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">And Sean is cool because he gives props to pop acts and indie acts alike.

It seems like some people think independent music is more valid than something that was recorded by a big studio.</font>

Irrelevant
06-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Ihaman

is it? i listen to noise.

bonsor
06-28-2004, 06:13 PM
while i agree with what he said in the original post, i think he defended his argument extremely poorly. you can't say those people dont listen to music to be cool by merely giving examples of "cool" music they don't like.

listening to 'indie' music is like helping an old lady across the street. a guy may help an old lady across the street because he genuinely wants to make her life easier, or he may do it because he's with a girl and he think being a good samaritan will help him get laid. but seeing it from afar, you can't just say 'that guy is helping that old lady across the street because he wants to get laid'. that's just dumb. as dumb as accusing someone for listening to obscure music simpy for indie cred. don't you think that they would listen to it because, as perplexing as this may be, they might actually <i>like it</i>?.

When people make such an accusation, I think it would be more indicative of how shallow of how shallow they actually are.

Ryan Patrick is an asshole most of the time. And Isle is an idiot all of the time.

Mr. Rhinoceros
06-28-2004, 06:31 PM
while i agree with what he said in the original post, i think he defended his argument extremely poorly. you can't say those people dont listen to music to be cool by merely giving examples of "cool" music they don't like.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I think that really proves the assumption to be true. "I DON'T LIKE JOY DIVISION LOL!"</font>

listening to 'indie' music is like helping an old lady across the street. a guy may help an old lady across the street because he genuinely wants to make her life easier, or he may do it because he's with a girl and he think being a good samaritan will help him get laid. but seeing it from afar, you can't just say 'that guy is helping that old lady across the street because he wants to get laid'. that's just dumb. as dumb as accusing someone for listening to obscure music simpy for indie cred. don't you think that they would listen to it because, as perplexing as this may be, they might actually <i>like it</i>?.

When people make such an accusation, I think it would be more indicative of how shallow of how shallow they actually are.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I think RP and Sean like the music, even though RP gets up my ass sometimes by being so snotty. It seems Chris is trying too hard, and then there are the faceless music board masses that shoot down popular bands they've never listened to and extol the latest indie flavor of the month.</fotn>

Mr. Rhinoceros
06-28-2004, 06:32 PM
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">That's the other thing that bugs me it's that flavor of the month thing. There's one band that everyone's all yapping about one month and two months later no one even mentions them or, even better, say they suck.</font>

sleeper
06-28-2004, 07:13 PM
what the fuck is this. how ignorant should we force ourselves to be? fact of the matter is, it does exist - here too. netphoria isnt some fucking haven of honesty, its as victim to stupid people as anywhere else, and the cliched indie snob character isnt exempt. some people literally do like bands because theyre obscure or unpopular, and in some ways we all do. fuck, for the most part bands are way better before they become popular. calling everyone an indie snob is as dumb as saying that no one is. even in your wimpering post you tried to raise your cred, "even i dont like what all the hardcore indie guys like the most".

killed radio star
06-28-2004, 07:38 PM
accusing people of liking a band simply on the basis that they're obscure is a really stupid thing to do. you either like a band, don't know about them, or like them.

ever have the problem where you can't say precisely what it is you enjoy about an album? enjoyment doesn't need a reason. you either like it, or you don't. who gives a fuck why? i'm not concerned with why i enjoy a band, and i'd certainly like to think other people don't care about why i enjoy a band.

quit wasting your fucking time.

killed radio star
06-28-2004, 07:40 PM
but this board doesn't have to be a happy place, and people can hate your music all they want. if the indie faction pisses you off, go post somewhere else. criticism of the music itself is completely valid, and keeps this place somewhat interesting.

In-Valid
06-28-2004, 07:42 PM
it's no more or less annoying than people on this board that predictably bash others for liking more 'mainstream' music.

Boycott Graceland
06-28-2004, 08:23 PM
i can see this thread resolving the issue at hand. good work, netphoria!

pink_ribbon_scars
06-28-2004, 08:25 PM
There are a lot of shitty threads on this board, and this is the crown jewel of them all.

Of course it's annyong when people make blanket comments about music, especially when it's in opposition to your beliefs, but a thread like this isn't going to do anything but make a new cesspool to sit beside the other cesspools.

neopryn
06-28-2004, 09:43 PM
The fact that you felt the need to post that only confirms your indiefuck status.

homechicago
06-28-2004, 11:00 PM
this post is gay.

i like jay-z, and don't understand the reasons why i should/shouldn't like it. i don't like the early cds, and i think the most recent one is my favorite. so what?

i like some indie bands. i don't think it makes me cooler, or more of an officionado because i do. i like music.

i don't really like the beatles on the whole, but it's not a political stance. i just don't like the sound.

i do like christina aguilera.

whatever.

Fattening Ass
06-29-2004, 01:18 AM
LOL ~

Eulogy
06-29-2004, 11:18 AM
I listen to Garbage.

I also listen to A Perfect Circle.

And I'm cooler than all of you.

The Gaddrow
06-29-2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Fattening Ass
LOL ~ Indeed.

smashingjj
06-29-2004, 12:13 PM
It sometimes annoys me when people think others are dumb because they like certain bands/ genres. Some people on here do that a lot and make it clear. I understand that it's sometimes just a joke but certain posters probably don't joke when they say 'well you like ..., so your opinion doesn't mean anything'. or something. Often people don't say it so clearly, but you can tell a lot is from the tone of their words.

Fattening Ass
06-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by The Gaddrow
Indeed. heh. After looking back at this thread, i LOL'd

pink_ribbon_scars
06-29-2004, 03:12 PM
oh, this is old.

MstrGhost
06-29-2004, 05:25 PM
, for example, don't care for joy division, probably the ultimate "indie cred" group

I woudn't call 'em "indie cred". "Just" the band that defined goth sound (well, not exactly, but the first being defined as!), put chorus on bass and placed it above guitars and all without any stupid fashion clichés or love drama lyrics so common to well known pink goth bands that followed, as cure or siouxsie. Almost only early Death in June and Bauhaus were on their league.
They weren't today's "indie", they were fucking raw, opressive and really self destructive *rubs docs*. JD and early New Order were genious, not just different, alternative or indie.

Mr. Rhinoceros
06-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by MstrGhost

I woudn't call 'em "indie cred". "Just" the band that defined goth sound (well, not exactly, but the first being defined as!), put chorus on bass and placed it above guitars and all without any stupid fashion clichés or love drama lyrics so common to well known pink goth bands that followed, as cure or siouxsie. Almost only early Death in June and Bauhaus were on their league.
They weren't today's "indie", they were fucking raw, opressive and really self destructive *rubs docs*. JD and early New Order were genious, not just different, alternative or indie.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">And this is why I say sawdust restaraunts is trying too hard. He knows a bunch of bands but he hasn't the faintest idea of their context.</font>

Irrelevant
06-29-2004, 06:15 PM

I woudn't call 'em "indie cred". "Just" the band that had the producer that defined goth sound (well, not exactly, but the first being defined as!), put chorus on bass and placed it above guitars and all without any stupid fashion clichés or love drama lyrics so common to well known pink goth bands that followed, as cure or siouxsie. Almost only early Death in June and Bauhaus were on their league.
They weren't today's "indie", they were fucking raw, opressive and really self destructive *rubs docs*. JD and early New Order and most importantly Martin Hannett were genious, not just different, alternative or indie.

yeah, i'm an asshole.

pine trees
06-29-2004, 07:02 PM
Well I originally noted only three--if you are, ZackZ and Isle--but apparently this ignorance now applies to about 80% of this board. Congratulations, guys.

MstrGhost
06-29-2004, 07:48 PM
Martin Hannett

Bless the day he forced Peter Hook using chorus to record "24 Hours". Don't put too much credit on him, listen to Magazine's Correct Use of Soap album wich has most of the elements you recognize from him in JD, even that lead chorus bass (that became Peter's trademark) sound wich he tried to implement there too, but overall it sounds nothing like the same JD could do about it.

Mr. Rhinoceros
06-29-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by pine trees
Well I originally noted only three--if you are, ZackZ and Isle--but apparently this ignorance now applies to about 80% of this board. Congratulations, guys.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">Shut the fuck up, I'm sick of you already.

<a href="http://www.atease.com">Here's a site for you.</a></font>

ciGarski
06-29-2004, 10:06 PM
dude i dug the wu bat, that was tits, but the nas avatar is sweet too. i don't know much bout you but you seem to have good taste in hip hop

Irrelevant
06-29-2004, 10:14 PM

Bless the day he forced Peter Hook using chorus to record "24 Hours". Don't put too much credit on him, listen to Magazine's Correct Use of Soap album wich has most of the elements you recognize from him in JD, even that lead chorus bass (that became Peter's trademark) sound wich he tried to implement there too, but overall it sounds nothing like the same JD could do about it.

Magazine is pretty different from Joy Division though, and had no reason to ape them... they just used Hannett to round out their sound and it worked really well, that's their best work besides Real Life.

DeviousJ
06-30-2004, 10:23 PM
I love how this thread lay dormant for 7 months, yet it picked up right where it left off as though a single breath hadn't passed. Excellent work Team Netphoria

ZackZ
06-30-2004, 10:35 PM
I was at Hastings the other day renting Re-Animator and I heard, what the shit, "Float On" comes on the store radio. Then I see this teenie-bopper girl talking to her friend and she's all like "OMG, I LOVE THIS SONG!" and her friend is all like "OMG ME TOO. WHO IS IT?" "OMG IT'S MODEST MOUSE!"

So I suggest that if you like Modest Mouse you can't be indie anymore. :banoonoo:

killed radio star
06-30-2004, 10:46 PM
they've been on epic for like four years

sawdust restaurants
06-30-2004, 10:50 PM
How the hell did this get bumped back up?

Anyway, I'm embarrassed for making this thread in the first place, and I'm doubly embarrassed by what I posted afterward. I mean, god damn: "I don't like Joy Division! You must be wrong!" Jesus. I must have been in one hell of a lousy mood. Probably drunk. My apologies.

At the same time, though, I can't believe that Brendan just went off on me here. Which is a shame, because I like you, and I have no way of convincing you that you're wrong.

*shrug*

sawdust restaurants
06-30-2004, 10:51 PM

Oh, and for the record, I agree with all of this.

Mr. Rhinoceros
06-30-2004, 10:52 PM

At the same time, though, I can't believe that Brendan just went off on me here. Which is a shame, because I like you, and I have no way of convincing you that you're wrong.

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I like you too, isn't that weird?</font>

Mr. Rhinoceros
06-30-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by ZackZ

So I suggest that if you like Modest Mouse you can't be indie anymore. :banoonoo:

<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I can't wait for the backlash to start.</font>

sawdust restaurants
06-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Rhinoceros
<font color=#007AAA face="courier new">I like you too, isn't that weird?</font>

I wish I didn't care about what Netphorians thought. But deep down, I'm uber-emo. Forget what I post here. I only listen to the Get Up Kids.

Seriously, though, I really don't listen to music I don't like. And I don't sit with my iPod listening to albums over and over to make myself like them, either. I promise.

Mooney
07-01-2004, 10:03 AM
i don't know what's worse, listening to music to be cool, or, like my friend who pretends like he has some deep musical appreciation, but he never actually listens to anything but justin timberlake and eminem.

personally, nothing has appealed to me in the mainstream in the past five years, so i come hear picking up on all the name-dropping. whatever i like, usually only one band every five or six tries, i listen to. i never usually know much about the bands, and whether i'm supposed to like them or not. i don't bother trying to impress my friends with the music because they could care less about it, and i don't often contribute to this forum, either, because i could care less about trying to impress you guys with my taste in music.