View Full Version : Hey Canadians is this true?

skippy
09-27-2002, 09:39 PM
I was just listening to that nut O'Reilly on the radio and he said that it's illegal for Canadians to have a sattellite dish. He also said that the Canadian government blocks certain stations like Fox News? Is that true?!

------------------
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/mledrew/shiggy.jpg

sleeper
09-27-2002, 09:40 PM
no. although i dont see the loss in blocking fox news. what a piece of shit.

Crippler
09-27-2002, 09:41 PM
<font color="aquamarine">So much for the Great White North.

ZERO
09-27-2002, 09:47 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Crippler:
<font color="aquamarine">So much for the Great White North.</font>

Bob and Doug McKenzie eh. Eat it, yankee.

Tessellation
09-27-2002, 09:50 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by sleeper:
although i dont see the loss in blocking fox news. what a piece of shit.</font>

exactly. I hate that lying(I won Peabodys!), conservative asshole...

[This message has been edited by Tessellation (edited 09-27-2002).]

Crippler
09-27-2002, 09:52 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ZERO:
eh.</font>

<font color="aquamarine">Shut it.

Johnny Zoloft
09-27-2002, 09:53 PM
canadians, eh?

------------------
http://www.ccchronicle.com/back/2001-05-14/images/homestar2.jpg
love me, homestar. (http://www.homestarrunner.com)

Tessellation
09-27-2002, 09:55 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Johnny Zoloft:
canadians, eh?

</font>

smartest, cleanliest people in North America...

ZERO
09-27-2002, 09:55 PM
<font color="aquamarine">Shut it.</font>

did you get what i said??

Crippler
09-27-2002, 10:14 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by ZERO:
did you get what i said??</font>

<font color="aquamarine">YES.

I just can't stand "eh." When I went to Canada last year, "eh" usage was far, far too rampant for my liking.

Oh well, I guess I just sound too "American," as Shaunna put it.

ZERO
09-27-2002, 10:32 PM

I just can't stand "eh." When I went to Canada last year, "eh" usage was far, far too rampant for my liking.

Oh well, I guess I just sound too "American," as Shaunna put it.</font>

no no. i meant bob and doug. i guess it's a canadian thing. eh? http://www.netphoria.org/wwwboard/tongue.gif

Lucy Sky Diamonds
09-27-2002, 10:36 PM
That's ridiculous.
We get all the American channels up here. My parents next door neighbour has 3 satelite dishes, and everyone that I went to high school with also had dishes. Where the hell did you hear that?

------------------
Platypus. The joke's on you.

AIM: ZeppieLed

Eulogy
09-27-2002, 10:38 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Tessellation:
smartest, cleanliest people in North America...</font>

Yeah, what an accomplishment...

skippy
09-27-2002, 10:39 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Lucy Sky Diamonds:
Where the hell did you hear that?

</font>

As i had mentioned, Bill O'Reilly said it on the radio tonite. It sounded kind of far fetched to me although I don't know why he would just make something like that up.

peabody
09-27-2002, 10:41 PM
exactly. I hate that lying(I won Peabodys!), conservative asshole...

</font>

meow
09-27-2002, 10:58 PM
smartest, cleanliest people in North America...</font>

Come on, we aren't ALL gay.

Smiley33
09-27-2002, 11:32 PM
Yes, and Canadians also live in Igloos and are required by law to keep their pet polar bears on leashes after 5 pm.

DISCLAIMER: PLEASE READ.****It is illegal for Canadians to use a satellite dish to recieve American signals. It is NOT illegal for Canadians to have satellite dishes. There are both Bell Expressview and Starchoice, both of which are Canadian providers that show Canadian and American shows.****

This is one of the reasons I'm studying the media from a country other than the United States, but a country that is close enough to the United states, geographically and otherwise, to be able to watch and learn about the actions, history, etc. and their implications with regards to the media. Let me just interject here that Bill O'reilly is an abscess on the ****phorical ASS of journalism. I've seen numerous shows of his and while some things he says make sense, the ONLY things he says that are worth listening to/are of any help to mankind are things that SHOULD be blatantly obvious to the rest of the world. However, he feeds off of the fact that most of the guests he brings on his show are handpicked specifically for the purpose of making him look more intelligent and more fucking patriotic that the republican television viewers almost cum in their Dockers in glee. My grandparents, big European-immigrant-retired-Air Force-fought-in-Vietnam-Republicans are huge fans of his.

**ALSO. I didn't see Bill O-Reilly's show and I didn't hear in what context he said the comment about the satellites. I'm taking your word for it on this. But even if he DID add that Canadians DO allow their OWN satellite system and they just don't all sit around their cable boxes crying about not having satellite, the fact that all you got from it was "Canadians don't get satellite, period" shows that he uses his power as a "journalist" (if you can call it that) to manipulate his words and put forth a half-truth. And that is the power of the fucking media. It doesn't take much, folks, that's for damned sure.

Also, Canada has absoloutely NO need for Fox news. Neither does the United States for that matter. And I mean that in the most rude and honest way possible.

Most radio stations in Canada are required to play at least 35% Canadian content (this does not ******* classical stations, of course). Understandably. This is a country that doesn't want to be buried under American culture. This is not to say that American culture is wrong, bad, etc. This is to say that Canada is not America, and wishes to remain Canada, especially in the MEDIA which is currently THE cultural communications method of human beings.

Being from the US, I find it an enormous advantage to study the media from Canada. I can disprove a lot of shit that some Canadians think about the US, but at the same time, understand why they do so. And the same for the reverse. That is why I get so fucking angry when people like Bill O'Righteous says things in such a way that can't be proven as completely false, but are only half truths. He provokes people with absoloute bullshit and then asks them what they're trying to prove when they get up in arms about having shit flung at them from the left field. And the viewers eat it up. Why? Because the media has the vast majority of the TV-viewing and magazine reading world by the balls.

And finally, Canadians are no better than Americans, and Americans are no better than Canadians. Just because you were born in a fucking country doesn't always mean you deserve the title of CITIZEN.

god fucknig damn it, i never type that much on netphoria.

kypper
09-27-2002, 11:36 PM

Oh well, I guess I just sound too "American," as Shaunna put it.</font>

You mean like the American 'Hey' at the end of sentences in some northern parts?
How about 'y'all' in the south?
You'll find that not all Canadians are the same, just as you'll find that not all Americans are polygamists, despite a few estranged families in Utah. I think you need to broaden your horizons, Steve.

Frankie Machine
09-28-2002, 12:03 AM
take off you hoser

DeviousJ
09-28-2002, 10:58 AM
Are you sure he wasn't talking about Rand McNally?

beef curtains
09-28-2002, 07:55 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Smiley33:

Most radio stations in Canada are required to play at least 35% Canadian content </font>

"next up, 2 hours of moose fucking"

------------------
http://www.wsu.edu/~swinn/kith.jpg

Andrew_Pakula
09-28-2002, 07:59 PM
It's not that Fox News is blocked here, like all TV stations they have to apply for approval to be able to broadcast their signal. All they have to do is apply to the CRTC and get approval and then Canadians will be able to see Fox News. It's not too hard to do, after all we already have CNN and MSNBC here, CNN has been here for years and years and MSNBC came in here just last year.

Crippler
09-28-2002, 09:26 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by kypper:

You mean like the American 'Hey' at the end of sentences in some northern parts?
How about 'y'all' in the south?
You'll find that not all Canadians are the same, just as you'll find that not all Americans are polygamists, despite a few estranged families in Utah. I think you need to broaden your horizons, Steve.</font>

<font color="aquamarine">I think I'll stick to plain old ebonics, thank you.

Nigga please, nigga please, don't step to these muthaphuckin' REAL Gs!

Squashing Pineapples
09-28-2002, 09:35 PM
+0

kypper
09-28-2002, 10:26 PM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Andrew_Pakula:
It's not that Fox News is blocked here, like all TV stations they have to apply for approval to be able to broadcast their signal. All they have to do is apply to the CRTC and get approval and then Canadians will be able to see Fox News. It's not too hard to do, after all we already have CNN and MSNBC here, CNN has been here for years and years and MSNBC came in here just last year.</font>
Yeah, but they're American. That means they should get whatever they want despite the fact that others have actual enforced laws concerning content and regulation. We aren't a country to them... we're just 'that state up north that nobody wants.'

skippy
09-28-2002, 10:31 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Andrew_Pakula:
[b] We aren't a country to them... we're just 'that state up north that nobody wants.' </font>

Yeah, that sounds about right.

sweet sweet
09-29-2002, 12:04 AM
Yeah, but they're American. That means they should get whatever they want despite the fact that others have actual enforced laws concerning content and regulation. We aren't a country to them... we're just 'that state up north that nobody wants.' [/B]</font>

http://www.southparkspot.com/southpic/cartike.jpg

kypper
09-29-2002, 10:46 AM
<font face="Arial, Verdana" size="2">Originally posted by Fattening Ass:
<font color=font colors fucking suck>When will you fucking drop the "I hate America" attitude?</font>

I will when you drop the 'I'm a superior asshole who thinks the rest of the world should be nuked just because I can't get my head out of my own fat fucking ass.'
Ok, slim?

ZERO
09-29-2002, 11:04 AM
I will when you drop the 'I'm a superior asshole who thinks the rest of the world should be nuked just because I can't get my head out of my own fat fucking ass.'
Ok, slim?</font>

haha

http://www.arkworld.com/southpark/gallery/greetings322.jpg
Cheers buddy!

beef curtains
09-29-2002, 03:52 PM
I never understood why Ike was canadian???
Also, by their standards, Saddam Hussein is