View Full Version : I got Lost Dogs for Christmas

RopeyLopey
12-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Well, I wouldn't have probably bought the CD on my own, but this way I am glad I have it. Especially disc no.2 is pretty good - that Brother instrumental song is great. It even *******s some hidden/bonus track, but it's not the one discussed here like 2 months ago. I just can't understand why they completely boycotted Vitalogy era. No song at all...and there are no lyrics *******d in the booklet as well - but oh well...

For some reason, I am really looking forward to the future as Pearl Jam would get older and older - and better and better? Leaving all those neccessary grunge hymns behind, and doing more songs like Arc or that bonus track from Lost Dogs Japanese edition....

GrungeGuy
12-26-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by RopeyLopey
I just can't understand why they completely boycotted Vitalogy era. No song at all
Have you ever listened to the Vitalogy album? There wasen't even that much to go around on that album. let alone b-sides. That album has 3 filler songs on it already. That was the least creative time for the band. That was a real Eddie driven album and the rest of the band just was kind of along for the ride(with the exception of Nothingman, thats all Jeff). I personally think that the Riot Act b-sides are amongst the best. Fatal and Down are of my favorites.

RopeyLopey
12-26-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by GrungeGuy

Have you ever listened to the Vitalogy album? There wasen't even that much to go around on that album. let alone b-sides. That album has 3 filler songs on it already. That was the least creative time for the band. That was a real Eddie driven album and the rest of the band just was kind of along for the ride(with the exception of Nothingman, thats all Jeff). I personally think that the Riot Act b-sides are amongst the best. Fatal and Down are of my favorites. I am not a huge fan of Pearl Jam, I just enjoy couple of their songs,but - they were NOMINATED FOR GRAMMY FOR THAT ALBUM and actually WON the one for Spin the Black Circle. The least creative time for the band, indeed....
well, considering the B-sides, they maybe wasn't the best ones (Out of my mind), but not all songs are always used... I mean yeah maybe they considered other tracks more appropriate to make it into this collection, but hey they were nominated for Grammy for that album...

wounded
12-26-2003, 03:41 AM
the first disc is okay, but there is some serious duds. i like the second disc especially the first song

SG Boi
12-26-2003, 08:24 AM
You should return dogs

Family must be sad on Christmas without pet

*no i don't eat*!

sledge
12-26-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by SG Boi
You should return dogs

Family must be sad on Christmas without pet

*no i don't eat*!

Yeah ok.

SG Boi
12-26-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Pathos

Yeah ok.

dun get jokes?

where american sense of humor? u too busy being angry towards other countries, la

sledge
12-26-2003, 12:48 PM

where american sense of humor? la

I'm not American.

Transformer
12-26-2003, 04:48 PM
I am not a huge fan of Pearl Jam, I just enjoy couple of their songs,but - they were NOMINATED FOR GRAMMY FOR THAT ALBUM and actually WON the one for Spin the Black Circle. The least creative time for the band, indeed....

So you judge a band by how many awards they in?

I got Lost Dogs for christmas as well......Am i the only one that thinks "Don't Gimmie No Lip" is damm catchy?

killed radio star
12-26-2003, 05:53 PM

dun get jokes?

where american sense of humor? u too busy being angry towards other countries, la

keke la~

SG Boi
12-26-2003, 05:54 PM
^_^

Transformer
12-26-2003, 06:03 PM
^_^

Your username arouses me for all the wrong reasons

SG Boi
12-26-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Transformer

Your username arouses me for all the wrong reasons

wat fark? u gay

Transformer
12-26-2003, 06:13 PM

wat fark? u gay

:rofl:

soniclovenoize
12-26-2003, 10:44 PM
I am not a huge fan of Pearl Jam, I just enjoy couple of their songs,but - they were NOMINATED FOR GRAMMY FOR THAT ALBUM and actually WON the one for Spin the Black Circle. The least creative time for the band, indeed....

I hope you're being sarcastic and not moronic. The reason it won a Grammy is because it didn't sell as well as Ten or Vs.

And GrungeGuy is right--it *is* their weakest album. I fucking love that record to death, but it still is full of filler. But they did have songs that weren’t on the album; wasn’t Hard To Imagine, Red Mosquito, Brain of J, Lukin, Habit, and Do The Evolution written around the Vitology era?

RopeyLopey
12-27-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by Transformer

So you judge a band by how many awards they in?

Have you read what was the stuff I was responding to? You may do it once again - I was saying - it's strange that they got Grammy for a song from that album and the whole album was nominated for Grammy as well,but there's no song from that particular era on Lost Dogs. There was no single word that I would be judging bands by number of their nominations.

Originally posted by soniclovenoize

The reason it won a Grammy is because it didn't sell as well as Ten or Vs.

I really don't know what am I supposed to answer to you.

pumpkingrrrl
12-27-2003, 06:50 AM
vitalogy is my favorite pj album. and yield.

but anyway, i have lost dogs too. it's pretty cool except for a few of the lame ass songs from those holiday and charity compliations they put on it. can't think of the songs right now.

GrungeGuy
12-27-2003, 03:24 PM

I hope you're being sarcastic and not moronic. The reason it won a Grammy is because it didn't sell as well as Ten or Vs.

And GrungeGuy is right--it *is* their weakest album. I fucking love that record to death, but it still is full of filler. But they did have songs that weren’t on the album; wasn’t Hard To Imagine, Red Mosquito, Brain of J, Lukin, Habit, and Do The Evolution written around the Vitology era?
Hard To Imagine is a VS.B-side, it is on the Five Against One demos. I know that Brain of J was played on the Vitology tour once or twice, so maybe it was written around that time. I just can't figure out why they threw something like Bugs on there if they had Red Mosquito done. I could look it all up if I really cared that much.

Travis Meekz
12-28-2003, 09:31 AM
I agree with the main themes in this thread. Lost Dog's is great, especially disk 2. Vitology is their weakest album. Riot Act is great...so are the B-sides. Long live PJ.

Pearl Jam is what all bands should aspire to be in the way they treat their fans. AMazing.

soniclovenoize
12-28-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by GrungeGuy

Hard To Imagine is a VS.B-side, it is on the Five Against One demos. I know that Brain of J was played on the Vitology tour once or twice, so maybe it was written around that time. I just can't figure out why they threw something like Bugs on there if they had Red Mosquito done. I could look it all up if I really cared that much.
Aha... The Five Against One demo... What's that like? Is it any good?

Maybe those tracks weren't Vitology B-sides, but songs written around that time and hashed out on tour. Eh, whatever.
Add I Got Shit and Long Road to that list too... Two songs that should have been on Lost Dogs, btw.

soniclovenoize
12-28-2003, 12:33 PM
Have you read what was the stuff I was responding to? You may do it once again - I was saying - it's strange that they got Grammy for a song from that album and the whole album was nominated for Grammy as well,but there's no song from that particular era on Lost Dogs. There was no single word that I would be judging bands by number of their nominations.

Well, in reading your post (and in re-reading it too!), it appeared to me you were defending Vitology and simultaneously mocking GrungeGuy’s words that it was not a creative time for the band by mentioning the fact that it one a Grammy as proof of this. I really didn't pick up the fact you were questioning that fact and accepting the Vitology as a weak album. I apologize I misread your vague post. :)

I really don't know what am I supposed to answer to you.
You don't have to. Not everything is a battle. :p

soniclovenoize
12-28-2003, 01:10 PM
1) I too got Lost Dogs for Xmas. Well, actually I got $$$ for Xmas and bought Lost Dogs with it (as well as Grandaddy's Sumday, and I'm not sure if I should like it or not?!), But unlike all of you, I feel that it's absolute crap. 75% of the songs should have been left in the vaults. Don't Gimme No Lip? What the fuck!?!? Don’t Gimme No Shit, Stone! I skipped your song on No Code, I’ll do it again! Now I know exactly why some of those songs were left off of their respective albums. For Christ's sake, some of those songs are worse than Riot Act, which was the biggest piece of shit they've ever shat out. I actually felt embarrassed for me ears in subjecting them to listen to songs that were too shitty to go on the worst Pearl Jam record. I couldn’t sit through Gremmie Out Of Control back in 1997 when Mason stole the CD for me, who says I can do it now? And of course there’s U… Let’s just say that my copy of the Wishlist single was filed under the Why The Fuck Did I Just Pay $7.99 For One Crappy B-side? File. You will also find the Perfect single in that file.

I will admit there are a few gems... Leavin Here, Last Kiss, Dead Man, Dirty Frank... They should have kept half the album in the toilet and made one pretty good B-sides disc. Plus, no I Got Shit and Long Road was quite a blow, as those were one of PJ's greatest songs. Id was the song that got me into Pearl Jam, actually. Or maybe it was one of those songs that holds personal and emotional weight… “I paid the price / Never held you in real life.” Is the whole song a dream? Is Vedder saying the lyrical world he creates in the song is not actually real? Or maybe I should just have more coffee. 69 cents for a “refill” at SA. And I can even listen to another song on my new Grandaddy album and continue to wonder if it’s good or not. Is this whole record one long, laid-back Flaming Lips song? Are all Grandaddy albums like this?
Personal note: make mix CD of “sad songs” with I Got Id as the opening song and BF5’s Narcolepsy as the closing song.

2) And a little Vitology rant… I fucking love that record to death. It has the whole White Album vibe to it, which isn't easily captured. Sure they were strung out, their drummer wasn't interested and they didn't have enough songs, but I think the filler really added a cool "what the fuck are they ON?!" element to the album. And of course, the packaging gave the album a whole "Look at our concept album that isn't actually a concept album" aura to it. That whole middle-era Pearl Jam was their true brilliance, the Jack Irons era. I know Vitology wasn’t with Jack Irons, but I guess the difference between No Code and Vitology was that the band sobered up and wrote more songs. And the difference between Yield and No Code is that they found Jesus. So I guess the Pearl Jam progression is: first you find smack, then you find Jack Irons, then you find Jesus.

Wow, this a long post. I guess not posting on Netwhoria for a while has in effect created some pent-up musical rambling inside of me. I should post a rant on how Oasis are fucking garbage now. Or drink more coffee.

RopeyLopey
12-28-2003, 01:35 PM

Well, in reading your post (and in re-reading it too!), it appeared to me you were defending Vitology and simultaneously mocking GrungeGuy’s words that it was not a creative time for the band by mentioning the fact that it one a Grammy as proof of this. I really didn't pick up the fact you were questioning that fact and accepting the Vitology as a weak album. I apologize I misread your vague post. :)

Transformer said "So you judge a band by how many awards they in?" Jesus Christ......

oui henri
12-28-2003, 03:43 PM
i got it too

wounded
12-28-2003, 04:27 PM
1) I too got Lost Dogs for Xmas. Well, actually I got $$$ for Xmas and bought Lost Dogs with it (as well as Grandaddy's Sumday, and I'm not sure if I should like it or not?!), But unlike all of you, I feel that it's absolute crap. 75% of the songs should have been left in the vaults. Don't Gimme No Lip? What the fuck!?!? Don’t Gimme No Shit, Stone! I skipped your song on No Code, I’ll do it again! Now I know exactly why some of those songs were left off of their respective albums. For Christ's sake, some of those songs are worse than Riot Act, which was the biggest piece of shit they've ever shat out. I actually felt embarrassed for me ears in subjecting them to listen to songs that were too shitty to go on the worst Pearl Jam record. I couldn’t sit through Gremmie Out Of Control back in 1997 when Mason stole the CD for me, who says I can do it now? And of course there’s U… Let’s just say that my copy of the Wishlist single was filed under the Why The Fuck Did I Just Pay $7.99 For One Crappy B-side? File. You will also find the Perfect single in that file.

I will admit there are a few gems... Leavin Here, Last Kiss, Dead Man, Dirty Frank... They should have kept half the album in the toilet and made one pretty good B-sides disc. Plus, no I Got Shit and Long Road was quite a blow, as those were one of PJ's greatest songs. Id was the song that got me into Pearl Jam, actually. Or maybe it was one of those songs that holds personal and emotional weight… “I paid the price / Never held you in real life.” Is the whole song a dream? Is Vedder saying the lyrical world he creates in the song is not actually real? Or maybe I should just have more coffee. 69 cents for a “refill” at SA. And I can even listen to another song on my new Grandaddy album and continue to wonder if it’s good or not. Is this whole record one long, laid-back Flaming Lips song? Are all Grandaddy albums like this?
Personal note: make mix CD of “sad songs” with I Got Id as the opening song and BF5’s Narcolepsy as the closing song.

2) And a little Vitology rant… I fucking love that record to death. It has the whole White Album vibe to it, which isn't easily captured. Sure they were strung out, their drummer wasn't interested and they didn't have enough songs, but I think the filler really added a cool "what the fuck are they ON?!" element to the album. And of course, the packaging gave the album a whole "Look at our concept album that isn't actually a concept album" aura to it. That whole middle-era Pearl Jam was their true brilliance, the Jack Irons era. I know Vitology wasn’t with Jack Irons, but I guess the difference between No Code and Vitology was that the band sobered up and wrote more songs. And the difference between Yield and No Code is that they found Jesus. So I guess the Pearl Jam progression is: first you find smack, then you find Jack Irons, then you find Jesus.

Wow, this a long post. I guess not posting on Netwhoria for a while has in effect created some pent-up musical rambling inside of me. I should post a rant on how Oasis are fucking garbage now. Or drink more coffee.

i think it could have been one good cd

Nimrod's Son
12-29-2003, 02:35 PM
Lost Dogs should have had Angel on it, but I guess they hate Dave so much that they won't incl<sk>ude a song he cowrote.. but it's a beautiful tune, if a tad "Irish drinking song"-ish.

GrungeGuy
12-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
Lost Dogs should have had Angel on it, but I guess they hate Dave so much that they won't incl<sk>ude a song he cowrote.. but it's a beautiful tune, if a tad "Irish drinking song"-ish.
It was on the original tracklisting and than pulled off. I have a feeling that Dave didn't want it on there, not the other way around.