View Full Version : so, mel gibson ain't going to hell right away..

severin
12-23-2003, 10:31 PM
http://www.canada.com/entertainment/story.asp?id=90F93A14-7608-474D-B7E8-C53145C4A229

Friday, December 19, 2003

VATICAN CITY (AP) -- Pope John Paul has seen The Passion of the Christ, Mel Gibson's biblical epic on the crucifixion of Christ, and said the film "shows how it was," a church official said Thursday.

The official said the film's co-producer told him after the screenings that the Pope told his secretary the film was an accurate portrayal of Christ's death. "It shows how it was," the pontiff was quoted as saying.

The Pope's apparent approval of The Passion of the Christ follows similar praise from several top Vatican officials, who have rejected complaints by some Jewish leaders, who say the film suggests Jews were responsible for Christ's death.

The church official said two screenings were recently held so the ailing, 83-year-old pontiff didn't have to sit through one long production.

Gibson's production company has arranged a number of private, prerelease screenings for Vatican officials. However, plans for a screening at a Vatican-sponsored film festival on spirituality earlier this month were scrapped because Gibson's Icon Productions company said the final edit was not ready yet.

Gibson plans to open the film in the United States on Feb. 25 -- Ash Wednesday on the Christian calendar.

barden
12-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Jesus Christ Superstar, Part II.
<i>Back, and pissed off.</i>

I tried to do a Hicks cover in an original way.

I failed.

Rider
12-23-2003, 10:39 PM
Man I knew the pope was old but old enough to have been at the crucifixion, wow that's old.

lawson
12-24-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Rider
Man I knew the pope was old but old enough to have been at the crucifixion, wow that's old.

well you know the last pope had told him and the pope before that told him etc... and the first pope read about it in a magazine.

Junebug
12-24-2003, 01:27 AM
ahh I was wondering what the vatican would have to say about all this. I'm really looking forward to this movie actually. I want to see what all the fuss is about.

jczeroman
12-24-2003, 02:41 AM
How can anyone willingly give consent to the pope to hold any kind of opinion on anything?