View Full Version : What do you think of Heathen?

ravenguy2000
10-29-2002, 02:03 PM
I finally got around to buying it the other day ($8 used at a NYC street fair) and I really like it. I think my favorites are Sunday, and Slow Burn, and Everyone Says "Hi." Actually, I think Everyone Says "Hi" is one of the best songs he's done in quite a while. Its kinda sugary, and stupid, and poppy, but compared to the rest of the album its kinda a relief, you know? Oh shit, and Gemini Spaceship is really good, too. And I like the cover of Cactus. There's a lot of stuff on the whole album to keep me occupied, which I like a lot.

Yup. I think its pretty good.

french_rap_sucks
10-29-2002, 09:28 PM
The thing about heathen is this; it has good material and i think sunday is his best song in a while, but there are also some tracks that leave me shaking my head and wondering what he was thinking.

scouse_dave
10-30-2002, 06:52 AM
mediocre

eyesbomb
10-30-2002, 07:09 AM
no, it's a great record indeed

With "...hours" he possibly left away for the first time the continuous will for trying something else, but with Heathen he came back to what he's been doing for 30+ years: something else

The album is great, it grows constantly in months, even thought the only problem with that is being too short and having 3 (!) covers on it
how would you define Heathen?
noir-rock? post-modern-rock? dreamish-pop?
no way, it's not really focusable, and this if you think at it is what makes it great
his best work since Earthling (as well another awfully understimated record)

long live Dave

SmashingZeppelins
10-30-2002, 08:15 AM
I've only listened to the first 5 songs rather briefly but it seems pretty good.

I do have to agree that 'Hours' sucked ass, one of the worst CDs I've bought in a long time...

scouse_dave
10-30-2002, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by eyesbomb
his best work since Earthling (as well another awfully understimated record)it's not even his best work since Hours..

Earthling is terrible btw

ravenguy2000
10-30-2002, 10:44 AM
I actually thought the first half of Hours... was OK, but once you got to The Pretty Things are Going to Hell, damn, what a horrible record.

And Earthling just hurts my ears.

eyesbomb
10-30-2002, 11:09 AM
Earthling?

contains:

1. Little Wonder
3. Battle For Britain (The Letter)
5. Dead Man Walking
6. Telling Lies
8. I'm Afraid Of Americans

anything containing all those absolutely great songs must be little under a 'masterpiece'