View Full Version : HELP! Soundcard/MD deck problem

Nothing/everything
10-29-2002, 06:00 AM
So i bought this Terratec sixpack 5.1+, and i have this Sony MDs-JE520 deck. I started transferring everthing i recorded like hell yesterday. The first 2 shows i did went pretty smooth, they came out great, they were done with DABS, right recording levels.

But some of the older shows i recorded with my old shitty mic, without paying any attention to the levels. When i listen to these shows, they sound pretty allright, through headphones, through my stereo, etc; the clipping isn't there. But when i run these recordings from my deck through an optical cable to the terratec, things start to get messy: clipping. These recordings i talk about are overleveled, much too loud, past the 0 dB point.

I tried adjusting the levels of the soundcard, it didn't work. I tried to change the optical signal that's coming from the deck, i couldn't find such an option. What i think the problem is, is that the signal that's coming from the deck is too loud for the soundcard too handle. -> buy a new deck?

I'm not that technical, any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

lament
10-29-2002, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Nothing/everything
But some of the older shows i recorded with my old shitty mic, without paying any attention to the levels.

Thats the problem, you didn't watch the levels. The clipping is there when you listen on your headphones, etc....its just not as accentuated as when you make the digital copy.

Nothing/everything
10-30-2002, 05:28 AM
There's a big difference bewteen the clipping on headphones/stereo and what comes from my soundcard. When i do an analog transfer with the same deck and soundcard, i don't have this particular sound....

Nothing/everything
10-30-2002, 05:35 AM
Hm, nevermind what i said before, the problem obviously is the overpowered signal, various people made that clear to me now

:(

distance
10-30-2002, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Nothing/everything
But i already think i know the answer, buy a new deck on wich i can turn down the levels of the optical out, and pay attention to the levels for the next shows....

uh.... i don't know that you can adjust the levels of a digital output? i think it's just a constant stream of what's there and isn't something you can manipulate like an analog output. no deck or sound card that i have used has given me the option of adjusting levels during a digital transfer.

Nothing/everything
10-30-2002, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by distance

uh.... i don't know that you can adjust the levels of a digital output? i think it's just a constant stream of what's there and isn't something you can manipulate like an analog output. no deck or sound card that i have used has given me the option of adjusting levels during a digital transfer.

Heh, that has just been made clear to me, i'm not that technical. You're all right, the levels are the problem, it all makes total sense to me now.

azvd
10-30-2002, 09:57 AM
Is there a chance to edit the WAV file you got w/ softwares like Cool Edit??? Doesn't those programs allow you to reduce levels and improve the recording? It's just a guess, 'cause I'm not used to it. Perhaps guys like Halteh could help you with that..:erm

-AZVD.

MstrGhost
11-01-2002, 08:57 AM
You can adjust SPDIF volume in the card's recording/sources control panel, but I don't know if it affects cool edit pro's rec levels since I presume that would be a direct recording :confused: Maybe the problem is in spdif freq conversion, there is a chance the md's output is not in the freq it was recorded, since some spdif equipment only works at 48khz, and that clipping during conversion becomes more noticeable. Just guessing, maybe not helping at all :think:

Nothing/everything
11-02-2002, 12:39 PM
I tried that, but that's not the problem, because the signal that's coming from those certain discs is way too loud, my recording levels are obviously the problem. The soundcard shouldn't have trouble with the MD 32 khz signal, the soundcard handles different frequencies automatically, so no probs there...

but thanks anyways :)