View Full Version : A question of ethics

jczeroman
12-10-2003, 03:51 PM
Thsi really isn't as grandios as the title seems to indicate.

Is it right or wrong to buy an item, use it for a day or week or so, and then return it for a full refund. I think it is perfectly fine, but I am not quite convinced and I have been at my wits end trying to decide if this is an ok thing to do.

Argue it according to whatever philosophy you adhere to, I am pretty much open to anything at this point.

Fattening Ass
12-10-2003, 03:52 PM
UMM. i hate when assholes return OBVIOUSLY used shoes and try to play it off as a defect or "never worn".

2Marlon2Brando
12-10-2003, 03:52 PM
Wrong.

Elvis The Fat Years
12-10-2003, 03:53 PM
What?

Boner
I can't even begin to count how many video cameras i "rented" from Wal-Mart in college.

Fletcher
Never mind.

Uh, no. It depends on the item.

spa ced
12-10-2003, 03:54 PM
What is the item?

jczeroman
12-10-2003, 03:55 PM
Its a $100 headphone amplifier. I would not try to say it was a defect, I would just tell them that "it wasn't right for me." Which is not a lie.

NotE: don't get mad at me, as I am not trying to defend it, but honestly trying to not do the wrong thing.

Fattening Ass
12-10-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Fletcher

Uh, no. It depends on the item. it does depend on the item.

i think anything worn/used on a person's body shouldn't be returned. Its just gross.

*returns new, worn underwear purchased 5 days ago like jczeroman*

jczeroman
12-10-2003, 03:57 PM
I haven't bought the thing yet. I am waiting to see if I can figure out if this is ok or not.

Nimrod's Son
12-10-2003, 04:11 PM
Absolutely it is. As a consumer, you have a right to return something if it doesn't live up to your expectations.

ammy
12-10-2003, 04:13 PM
i think it's just fine as long as it isn't returned damaged or marred in any way.

and of course as long as it's not a dildo, condom, underwear, lolly pop, douche bag, tooth brush...

meow
12-10-2003, 04:15 PM
as long as they can resell it for the full value of what they refunded you, yes.

Mooney
12-10-2003, 04:56 PM
i don't even return clothes that don't fit. not because it's my fault for not trying them on, just that i am lazy.

the
12-10-2003, 05:05 PM
uhm.
in your case jgzgrgman, SUUUUUUURE. i mean yah you can give it back if you wanna... but hey, maybe they won't take it back or somethin. but i dun see any problems with giving it back.
hem. i've never returned somethin, but i've changed it with something else. bah. i hate doing that. it always requires a shitty talk with the people there and no matter how fckin nice you are, they still give you the "OOOOH! FUCKER WHO RETURNS STUFF" look.
bewaaaaaaaaaaaaare!

machinaddict
12-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by meow
as long as they can resell it for the full value of what they refunded you, yes.

jczeroman
12-10-2003, 05:11 PM
Basicly my logic follows nimrod son's, Ammy's and meow's. Is there anyone who thinks anything to the contrary?

2Marlon2Brando
12-10-2003, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by jczeroman
Basicly my logic follows nimrod son's, Ammy's and meow's. Is there anyone who thinks anything to the contrary?

If you are buying it with the intention of using it and returning it for full cost, it is wrong, even if they can resell it for full price.

jczeroman
12-10-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by 2Marlon2Brando

If you are buying it with the intention of using it and returning it for full cost, it is wrong, even if they can resell it for full price.

ok, good. now I just need to know why, and I will gladly comply.

2Marlon2Brando
12-10-2003, 05:25 PM

ok, good. now I just need to know why, and I will gladly comply.

That is just not an honest thing to do. It is not just the cost/them losing money thing. You are deceiving them. Lying is wrong, even if no one gets hurt. I mean, if your best friend was selling something, would you buy it, use it, and then ask for your money back? Ok, that was a poor example. Just because they are a corporation doesn't mean that you should take advantage of them or their lenient return policies. If you can't afford it, or have no plans on keeping it, you should do without.

jczeroman
12-10-2003, 05:31 PM

You are deceiving them.

Hold on now. I don't knwo if i would be. "This thing doesn't work for me" is a fine excuse, and true.

2Marlon2Brando
12-10-2003, 05:32 PM

Hold on now. I don't knwo if i would be. "This thing doesn't work for me" is a fine excuse, and true.

Yes, but you are buying it with the intention of returning it, that is deceiving.

mpp
12-10-2003, 05:33 PM

I won't argue with anyone about this because I have a final on Friday. But what I will do is say this: I think it is wrong. I would never do it. Impressed?

My reasoning behind this stance is not too good. Essentially, it's the satisfaction that people get from doing things like this. It's like a smugness that I can't stand.

jczeroman
12-10-2003, 05:34 PM

Yes, but you are buying it with the intention of returning it, that is deceiving.

I suppose I can see that. Can anyone argue this point? Otherwise, I think he's proven the point.

Jacob
12-10-2003, 05:36 PM

I suppose I can see that. Can anyone argue this point? Otherwise, I think he's proven the point.

when you buy the product where does it say "i will buy this and not return it"...who are you deceiving? the cashier? the company? Because of lack of better options, you buy it, use it to its fullest potential, and return it to the company with no drawbacks. The End.

machinaddict
12-10-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by mpp

My reasoning behind this stance is not too good. Essentially, it's the satisfaction that people get from doing things like this. It's like a smugness that I can't stand.
good call.
If you can't afford the product, why should you be able to use it for free and then return it with no consequences?

mpp
12-10-2003, 05:38 PM

excuse

I think you're getting closer.

It's an excuse to lie and deceive, not a reason. There's a difference.

I do wholly understand what Buchanan's Son is saying about your responsibility as a consumer. The scenario there would be if you bought something and it did not live up to your expectations. That is not the scenario I am talking about. The scenario I am referring to is when someone "rents" a video camera from Wal Mart for a party and then returns it the next day for a full refund. That is fraud.

I_was_aborted
12-10-2003, 05:38 PM
I agree with him, if you purchase the item with the intent to use it and return it then it is wrong.

On a side note....Jc...if you of all people have to ask this question I think you already know the answer. ;)

jczeroman
12-10-2003, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by I_was_aborted

On a side note....Jc...if you of all people have to ask this question I think you already know the answer. ;)

....ouch.... straight thru the mo' fo' heart....

jczeroman
12-10-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Jacob

when you buy the product where does it say "i will buy this and not return it"...who are you deceiving? the cashier? the company? Because of lack of better options, you buy it, use it to its fullest potential, and return it to the company with no drawbacks. The End.

can someone argue this? I am seriously out of my element here.

And I am leaving in seven minutes (not to buy the thing but to turn in a paper).

Nimrod's Son
12-10-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by meow
as long as they can resell it for the full value of what they refunded you, yes. That's not even part of the equation. They add into the initial costs the fact that there will be a certain percentage of return.

I_was_aborted
12-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Ask the store what their return policy is. I think if you are looking for a real answer instead of an opinion it would involve finding out the specific stores return policy and determining if returning something for no obvious reason is allowed.

Nimrod's Son
12-10-2003, 05:47 PM
Ok here is an example... I buy a video game that looks <i>great</I> on TV commercials and in magazine ads, and I get it home and it is a total piece of shit. Now, I've wasted $50 on something that wasn't what I expected it to be, and thus since the product did not live up to my expectations, I return it. Since we live in a day and age of piracy, in the case of a multimedia product I would only get store credit, but at least I would get full value of store credit. For an item such as Colin is talking about he would be able to get full cash value, and for the same reason. I know going in that if I buy a game and it sucks my ass, I can return it that week for store credit. I <i>know</i> that going in. Does it make me a bad person? No, I'm not using it as a free rental, I'm using it as consumer protection.

Nimrod's Son
12-10-2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by I_was_aborted
Ask the store what their return policy is. I think if you are looking for a real answer instead of an opinion it would involve finding out the specific stores return policy and determining if returning something for no obvious reason is allowed. Try Circuit City. Their return policy is no questions asked and you don't even need you receipt if you paid by credit card.

2Marlon2Brando
12-10-2003, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
Ok here is an example... I buy a video game that looks <i>great</I> on TV commercials and in magazine ads, and I get it home and it is a total piece of shit. Now, I've wasted $50 on something that wasn't what I expected it to be, and thus since the product did not live up to my expectations, I return it. Since we live in a day and age of piracy, in the case of a multimedia product I would only get store credit, but at least I would get full value of store credit. For an item such as Colin is talking about he would be able to get full cash value, and for the same reason. I know going in that if I buy a game and it sucks my ass, I can return it that week for store credit. I <i>know</i> that going in. Does it make me a bad person? No, I'm not using it as a free rental, I'm using it as consumer protection.

Yeah, but you have the intention of keeping it if you like it. He has no intention whatsoever of keeping it. Just borrowing it.

I_was_aborted
12-10-2003, 05:56 PM
Yes and that is where I see the wrong doing. His intent is to never keep the product therefore he should never purchase the product. People who abuse return policies only hurt the consumer by make stores return policies more strict, thus eliminating the consumer protection which Nimrod's Son is so fond of.