View Full Version : Adore Mono


StillBecomingApart
10-27-2002, 05:27 PM
I always wanted to know why the vinyl version of Adore is mixed in mono...

Does someone know why?

Siva 2007
10-27-2002, 07:27 PM
I don't think there was any reason other than Billy wanting to try something new.

strange_one
10-27-2002, 07:27 PM
<font color=33FFFF> because mono sounds better for some recordings</font>

Virex Kills
10-27-2002, 09:46 PM
And why leave a full side of an EP blank. ;)

starlightvideoproductions
10-27-2002, 11:03 PM
Probably yes because this record for whatever reason sounded better mono. But, seeing the general public will buy it on CD, they'll wonder why its in mono. Kinda like that atleast...

Johnny Zoloft
10-28-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by starlightvideoproductions
Probably yes because this record for whatever reason sounded better mono. But, seeing the general public will buy it on CD, they'll wonder why its in mono. Kinda like that atleast...


your name sucks.

Junebug
10-28-2002, 01:06 AM
I don't understand what the difference between mono and...not mono. How does it sound different?

TheDeuce
10-28-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Junebug
I don't understand what the difference between mono and...not mono. How does it sound different?

Someone correct me if I'm totally wrong, but I think this is the difference between mono and not mono (stereo). On stereo some things will play out of the left speaker while other things may play out of the right speaker. In mono the same thing comes out of both speakers.

Dead
10-28-2002, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by TheDeuce
Someone correct me if I'm totally wrong, but I think this is the difference between mono and not mono (stereo). On stereo some things will play out of the left speaker while other things may play out of the right speaker. In mono the same thing comes out of both speakers.
:banging: You need to get a damn award! :banging:

TheDeuce
10-28-2002, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Dead

:banging: You need to get a damn award! :banging:

Why thank you. If anyone feels like giving me something I'd like it to be blue and frilly.

StillBecomingApart
10-28-2002, 03:50 AM
I have to agree that Adore in mono sounds better. The songs are also mixed differently. In Ava Adore, the crash cymbals have a very low volume, and that way the song is really cool and darker. Better than CD.

Junebug
10-28-2002, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by TheDeuce


Someone correct me if I'm totally wrong, but I think this is the difference between mono and not mono (stereo). On stereo some things will play out of the left speaker while other things may play out of the right speaker. In mono the same thing comes out of both speakers.


thank you kindly. Now I'm even more excited about getting my vinyl in the mail, heh.

MstrGhost
10-29-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by StillBecomingApart
I have to agree that Adore in mono sounds better. The songs are also mixed differently. In Ava Adore, the crash cymbals have a very low volume, and that way the song is really cool and darker. Better than CD.

Ava Adore is really much better in the vinyl mix (it makes me almost like the chorus :p) , wich is really diferent, not only for being mono (the cd is not THAT stereo anyway). For the blank side...Itz da blanke paige!!!...As there is no 17... I find it original. What I hate in the vinyl if the fact of being so "cheap", ie, really thin. What about a good old 180g?!?!

Btw, are there any american pressings of siamese dream without that darn flaw in side D that leaves sweet sweet and luna with a big "swooshhh" every rotation? I've had at least 2 orange/marble ones (one sealed and the other few played) and both have the same problem AND cat numbers were diferent, one had a "1" and the other a "2" alone in the code. So the problem must be with the presses.

Jesse Miller
10-29-2002, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by StillBecomingApart
I have to agree that Adore in mono sounds better. The songs are also mixed differently. In Ava Adore, the crash cymbals have a very low volume, and that way the song is really cool and darker. Better than CD.

Yes, that is correct. I guess people these days think mono is a simple reduction mix of 2-track stereo, but that just isn't so. The Beatles, for example: All the records had two seperate and specific mixing sessions for mono and stereo. Mono was even given more care than stereo (since mono was the accepted medium at the time). In effect, there's lots of differences between the two final mixes, many believe the mono to be better or "truer." Just listen to the mono mix of Sgt. Pepper and you'll see what I mean.

Why is mono "better" than stereo? Aside from personal opinion, one has to think of the mix verticly, rather than horizontalliy, if ya follah... With stereo, you can just throw something far left, and forget about; but with mono, everything has to be perfectly balanced, as everything is basicly fighting for attention.

Ooops, lunch break's over. Adios...

Esotarious
10-29-2002, 01:20 PM
I'm curious to hear what it sounds like and I don't have a Record Player yet. Hopefully after christmas or whenever I donate enough plasma! So if someone could turn it into an mp3 that'd be cool.

bonsor
10-29-2002, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by MstrGhost
Btw, are there any american pressings of siamese dream without that darn flaw in side D that leaves sweet sweet and luna with a big "swooshhh" every rotation? I've had at least 2 orange/marble ones (one sealed and the other few played) and both have the same problem AND cat numbers were diferent, one had a "1" and the other a "2" alone in the code. So the problem must be with the presses. My american Siamese Dream vinyl does the same thing. The vinyl that the disc are made of are composed of a mixture of plastics of two or more different colors, which expectedly have two or more different consistencies, which doesn't matter much if the plastics are mixed together well enoug, but in this case, they weren't.

There's a knot in the middle of the quiet part of Silverfuck.

"And I......heee(VUM)aar....yoooooouuur(VUM)...(VUM)pai n"

StillBecomingApart
10-29-2002, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Esotarious
I'm curious to hear what it sounds like and I don't have a Record Player yet. Hopefully after christmas or whenever I donate enough plasma! So if someone could turn it into an mp3 that'd be cool.

I recorded the vinyl in a cassette while I was listening to it. If I'll find some spare time, I will make a nice mp3.

MstrGhost
10-31-2002, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by ******
My american Siamese Dream vinyl does the same thing. The vinyl that the disc are made of are composed of a mixture of plastics of two or more different colors, which expectedly have two or more different consistencies, which doesn't matter much if the plastics are mixed together well enoug, but in this case, they weren't.

There's a knot in the middle of the quiet part of Silverfuck.

"And I......heee(VUM)aar....yoooooouuur(VUM)...(VUM)pai n"

Well, in one of those I had the 2nd vinyl was almost only orange and no way 2 (***...) would have exactly the same flaw at precisely the same point, there was a prob in the presses surely. Maybe the UK in black vinyl doesnt, I'll ask a friend of mine. And that knot is there on mine two, so... I just find it strange I don't see people talking about this, it seems most people just have those vinyls standing :| There are some vinyls I only played once, but a SD 2lp ain't properly an I am one 7" you must make a ritual before touching it :D

MstrGhost
10-31-2002, 08:47 PM
btw, goto amsp and look for starseed's ftp, he has Adore on vinyl in 256kps mp3, I think.

Reyngel
11-01-2002, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by MstrGhost
btw, goto amsp and look for starseed's ftp, he has Adore on vinyl in 256kps mp3, I think.

What's the address? I too have Adore on vinyl, but not a record player... I'm very interested.

MstrGhost
11-01-2002, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Reyngel

I too have Adore on vinyl, but not a record player.

That's sad. :cry:

goto www.deja.com and make a search with "StArSeEd" and you'll surelly find it. I just don't post ftp adresses in public mboards.

Dead
11-01-2002, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by MstrGhost
That's sad. :cry:
I have some vinyl and no record player, and I don't want one either. 7"s are cool, man. :cool:

np: By Starlight

drowned
11-02-2002, 03:26 AM
i have an orange marbled sd and it doesn't play properly on my record player either! it seems to play too slowly (and, yes, i checked the damn speed), almost like the record is too heavy. i don't think it's my record player, though, because all of my other albums play fine, old thrift shop ones and newer ones.
:confused:

MagicPie
11-02-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by MstrGhost


That's sad. :cry:

goto www.deja.com and make a search with "StArSeEd" and you'll surelly find it. I just don't post ftp adresses in public mboards.

I checked his ftp and i could not see the songs,any idea if they were up but now taken down ?

Peuloxian Cherub
11-02-2002, 02:36 PM
oooh... mono adore souns ssoooo good when yrou durnk, babny!! gives you de POWAAAAAAR!

Affect
11-07-2002, 03:53 PM
I just ordered the Adore vinly for 12.99$ with free shipping at Circuit City (http://www.circuitcity.com/). I can't wait to throw it down on the old turntable.

MstrGhost
11-08-2002, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by MagicPie


I checked his ftp and i could not see the songs,any idea if they were up but now taken down ?

Donno, I don't check it for more than a year, but some weeks ago someone I know downloaded it from there :confused:


OT:Anyway, old turntables? Go get something decent or you'll be damaging your records with misaligned stylos, incorrect anti-skid settings and so on. Come on you can get a really good cartridge for about $100 (be sure you have an amplifier that supports moving coil type cartidges) and a decent turntable at about 200$.