View Full Version : Vinyl > Tape > CD

Isle
11-29-2003, 06:41 PM
It's true. I think it's really hard to find a CD with as much character as a tape or vinyl, I was just looking through the old vinyl collection I mooched off my parents, and there's all this great stuff that's so much more attractive than alot of CDs. I guess that because vinyl and tape are less prominent now they've become vintage and automatically have that quality, but they just seem to have more soul to them...there's Dark Side of the Moon with mint condition posters and sticker sheets in the envelope, The Police's Ghost in the Machine(great cover design), U2's WAR, The Smiths, Bob Marley's Arising, the Beatles' Sgt.Pepper in mint condition...I'm just really psyked about being able to look through all this.
Then I've got a bunch of Cure, Thin Lizzy, ZZ Top and Bjork tapes(:confused: ) which are nearly as great...the only CDs I really love are the Pumpkins' releases (they just have that magic sp essence), DJ Shadow's Endtroducing, Neutral Milk Hotel's In the Aeroplane Over the Sea and a couple I can't remember...

so, in conclusion: Vinyl > Tape > CD.

represent.:stan:

Nothing/everything
11-29-2003, 06:48 PM
Nah

vinyl>cd>tape

What vinyl has over cd is that a piece of vinyl is nice to pick up, to hold, to look at, to smell, and to have an awful lot of. I don't care for the so-called sound superiority over cds.

I never cared for tapes. The sound sucks, the things are too small, break easily and are just as inconveniant as playing vinyl, without the non-music related beauty of 12"ches, 10"ches and 7"ches.

Isle
11-29-2003, 06:55 PM
i know what you mean, and stuff like not being able to skip tracks at the touch of a button can be annoying. but i strangely like the fact that they're small and seem cheap, it's somehow more intimate and personal than a CD. obviously depending also on how good the music and cover designs are, they're more inviting than CDs...i mean CDs are flat, usually characterless circular blades with covers that shatter twice as easily as tapes. plus CDs won't be vintage for a while i think.

Isle
11-30-2003, 07:50 AM
speaking of which, how does one go about transferring CD to tape or vinyl? is it easy?

mono
11-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by Nothing/everything
12"ches, 10"ches and 7"ches

inchches?

Crono
11-30-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Isle
speaking of which, how does one go about transferring CD to tape or vinyl? is it easy?

I would assume that tape would be relatively easy, but you're going to have to get some expensive equipment to press vinyl.

Mason R Butler
11-30-2003, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Isle
i know what you mean, and stuff like not being able to skip tracks at the touch of a button can be annoying. but i strangely like the fact that they're small and seem cheap, it's somehow more intimate and personal than a CD. obviously depending also on how good the music and cover designs are, they're more inviting than CDs...i mean CDs are flat, usually characterless circular blades with covers that shatter twice as easily as tapes. plus CDs won't be vintage for a while i think.
Wow, you're an idiot.

Isle
11-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Mason R Butler

Wow I'm an idiot, I never thought of that.

cap'n jazz
11-30-2003, 03:36 PM
Isle, you suck. Shut the fuck up and go headbang to your ZZ Top tapes, dollface.

Isle
11-30-2003, 06:58 PM
i will, cap'n asshole.

Lie
11-30-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Nothing/everything
What vinyl has over cd is that a piece of vinyl is nice to pick up, to hold, to look at, to smell, and to have an awful lot of.

No, the reason you buy vinyl is that you get to watch it spin around. Way to miss the point.

MstrGhost
11-30-2003, 09:18 PM
If you use high quality "metal" (type iv) tapes (with shielded case if you can find them) on professional quality decks, then tapes DONT suck, talking from experience. If you record a vinyl to a cd it will suffer badly, but a very good analogue copy on tape will retain it's character and most frequency spectrum. This is very equipment dependent of course, since the more cheaper, the more digital can win.

There is no point in a cd>vinyl, it's like mp3>wav since most frequencies are lost in conversion for the low quality cd standard. If you listen to classical music you'll get the point, even though modern recordings were digital, the cd format has no space for the whole original bitrate, the lower the complexity of the sound, the better cd's will sound, but no cd can represent the true ringing of metals due to it's freq limitations wich you don't have on a vinyl. Metals on cd sound like chhhhh shhhhh, they don't ring as they should, every splash sounds almost the same, oh and on recordings with analogue synths (rich in sub) they lose lots of "body". Cd recordings sound 2D, no body or texture due to some freqs the human ear uses for spacial info, even on mono vinyl recs, you can get an Y axis sensation, voices being in other "level" on good recordings. The problem of vinyl is having a good press and having good equipment for it's reproduction, without moving coil heads, you won't get half of it's sound.

My .02€