View Full Version : poll: favorite smiths album

patrick
10-27-2002, 04:17 AM
minus the numerous best-of's, of course

my vote goes to louder than bombs, mearly for the sheer quantity of brilliant songs on it.

patrick
10-27-2002, 04:22 AM
Originally posted by Graveflower

We will ignore the fact that I don't know any other Smiths album, yes? you are a terrible person.

Lie
10-27-2002, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by failure
you are a terrible person.

But if you're only gonna know one Smiths album, that's the one to know by a longshot.

jenniferkate
10-27-2002, 11:09 AM
you are a terrible person.

i am so in love with you!

shaniqua
10-27-2002, 12:43 PM
meat is murder.

patrick
10-27-2002, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by jenniferkate

i am so in love with you! "Men always want to be a woman's first love - women like to be a man's last romance "

i guess neither hold true. it's not going to work out, hon.

jenniferkate
10-27-2002, 03:06 PM
it's not going to work out, hon.

that's alright cause i'm fickle anyway.

patrick
10-27-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by jenniferkate

that's alright cause i'm fickle anyway. your capriciousness will never make my love any less hefty!

fallontears
10-27-2002, 04:37 PM
The Queen is dead is their only consistant album. Cemetry Gates is hands down my favorite song by them. The rest of their albums have good songs on them, but are also filled with crappy songs to. If you don't believe me listen to Meat is Murder or Strangeways Here We Come.

mirrar
10-27-2002, 05:18 PM
It changes all the time, but it's always either the queen is dead, meat is murder or louder than bombs.

frail_and_bedazzled
10-27-2002, 10:24 PM
the queen is dead and meat is murder

Lie
10-28-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by fallontears
The Queen is dead is their only consistant album. Cemetry Gates is hands down my favorite song by them. The rest of their albums have good songs on them, but are also filled with crappy songs to. If you don't believe me listen to Meat is Murder or Strangeways Here We Come.

I'd be very interested to hear what crappy songs <i>Meat Is Murder</i> is "filled" with.

nothing matters
10-28-2002, 06:55 PM
i pick louder than bombs. isn't that kind of a best of set, though?

patrick
10-29-2002, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by nothing matters
i pick louder than bombs. isn't that kind of a best of set, though? no. whereas the others are definitive "best of" type recods, this is a collection of all of the singles and such that weren't released on records. i think. so in theory, it's its own entity.

Lie
10-29-2002, 01:44 PM
no. whereas the others are definitive "best of" type recods, this is a collection of all of the singles and such that weren't released on records. i think. so in theory, it's its own entity.

Something like that. Smiths' albums are all screwed up. <i>Meat Is Murder</i> and <i>The Queen Is Dead</i> are their only "real" albums, but all of them tend to be well compiled and packaged nonetheless. Even with <i>Meat Is Murder</i>, though, only some copies have "How Soon Is Now?" I'm glad I'm not a collector, because it's a nightmare.

patrick
10-29-2002, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by Lie

<i>Meat Is Murder</i> and <i>The Queen Is Dead</i> are their only "real" albums strangeways is a complete album, isn't it?

nothing matters
10-29-2002, 03:57 PM
no. whereas the others are definitive "best of" type recods, this is a collection of all of the singles and such that weren't released on records. i think. so in theory, it's its own entity.

ok. i really don't listen most stuff from the 1980s anyways.. my big sister really likes the smiths though and that is why i kind of like that cd. it isn't near as good as metallica though.

patrick
10-29-2002, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by nothing matters

ok. i really don't listen most stuff from the 1980s anyways.. my big sister really likes the smiths though and that is why i kind of like that cd. it isn't near as good as metallica though. good call

nothing matters
10-29-2002, 04:05 PM
good call

are u trying to make fun of me bitch? i wouldnt try it!

Best Looking Boy
10-29-2002, 07:22 PM
Yay! I'm the only person who voted for the first album.

fallontears
10-29-2002, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Lie

I'd be very interested to hear what crappy songs <i>Meat Is Murder</i> is "filled" with.

Meat is Murder (too preachy)
That Joke isn't funny anymore
I want the one I can't have
and to a certain extent How Soon is Now?

Just to name a few. The album does nothing for me. I just didn't listen to it very much because I felt it was just kinda bland. For my money, the Queen is Dead is one Smiths release that keeps me interested in it for the whole disc. Other than the Singles disc and maybe Louder Than Bombs.

Lie
10-29-2002, 10:12 PM
strangeways is a complete album, isn't it?

Yeah, it is. I forgot about that one. So is their debut. But for some reason those don't count in my mind.

Lie
10-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by fallontears
Meat is Murder (too preachy)
That Joke isn't funny anymore
I want the one I can't have
and to a certain extent How Soon is Now?

I can at least understand the first two, but the last two are probably my favorites on the album.

Blaise Bailey Finnegan III
10-30-2002, 01:40 AM
I only clicked on this thread 'cos I thought there might be a "NONE: they all suck arse because even Johnny Marr's amazing musical genius wasn't enough to overcome the incredible shitness of Morrisey's stupid fucking awful voice." option in the poll.

I'll get me coat

Lie
10-30-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by what was it anyway?
I only clicked on this thread 'cos I thought there might be a "NONE: they all suck arse because even Johnny Marr's amazing musical genius wasn't enough to overcome the incredible shitness of Morrisey's stupid fucking awful voice." option in the poll.

I'll get me coat

If it makes you feel better, your wrong opinion is a popular one.

patrick
10-30-2002, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Lie

If it makes you feel better, your wrong opinion is a popular one. at least there's comfort in numbers

Hillzy
10-30-2002, 07:51 PM
Louder than bombs

10-30-2002, 11:03 PM
Meat Is Murder