View Full Version : Technical question about early "The Smashing Pumpkins" demo tape

praetor529
11-27-2003, 03:56 AM
Hi all,
This question is a little unusual, but I'm trying to find out if anyone can help me verify the authenticity of a SP cassette tape. I have a copy of "The Smashing Pumpkins" demo tape released in 1989. It is supposedly real, but I have my doubts about it.

I was wondering if anyone out there would know exactly what type/model of tapes were used to make the recordings. The tape I have is a Maxell UR90 without the large, white, handwritten labels including the entire tracklisting as are often pictured for this tape. Mine has only one small strip label at the top of one side of the cassette stating "The Smashing Pumpkins c.1989". The cassette itself is made of clear plastic, and the tape case is clear and has "rounded corners" as are commonly seen in more modern cassette tapes, rather than ones that were prevelant in the 1980s (those tended to have sharp, defined corners.) The cassette also looks exceedingly "new" considering its supposedly 14 years old.

I searched as many SP websites trying to find some kind of documentation as to what type of tapes were used, but had little success. I have even attempted to contact Maxell to find out how long ago they began manufacturing the UR90, but the all the technical support staff could tell me was that only their engineers could answer that question, and they'd be unable to get back to me until Monday, Dec. 1.

The most convincing evidence that I have so far that the tape is a fake is the fact that all pictures I have been able to find of the tape look absolutely nothing like the one I posess.

In conclusion, any constructive help anyone out there could offer would be most appreciated. I'm hoping that someone else might own one of these tapes and could comment about theirs to me.

Thanks for the help.

Nimrod's Son
11-27-2003, 04:05 AM
Well, as we all know, it is incredibly hard to make a copy onto cassette tape.

Corganist
11-27-2003, 05:03 AM
There was a pretty much identical inquiry made on the trading board a month or two ago. In that instance, the experts weighed in and determined that the tape in that situation was probably fake. From the sounds of it, yours is almost exactly the same as that one...

Here's the thread if you wanna check it out. http://forums.netphoria.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39165

Dead
11-27-2003, 05:27 AM
Yeah that sounds exactly like the other fake. What color is the insert J-card thing?

Porcelina Ruby
11-27-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
Well, as we all know, it is incredibly hard to make a copy onto cassette tape.

:rofl:

praetor529
11-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the reference link, this is the first time i've ever posted so I didn't know this topic had come up before.

The j-card is purple.

Also, the person I purchased the tape from is a recording artist, so I don't have much doubt that he could have easily found the means to duplicate the tape, as he probably has access to professional equipment.

MonteLDS
11-27-2003, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by praetor529
Also, the person I purchased the tape from is a recording artist, so I don't have much doubt that he could have easily found the means to duplicate the tape, as he probably has access to professional equipment.

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/35/e1/c9/20308425.JPG

Enzed
11-27-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by MonteLDS

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/35/e1/c9/20308425.JPG

Mi god. Is that the future of recording technology I see before my eyes?:o