View Full Version : False tension on documentary shows.

Glare Seethe
11-26-2003, 03:18 PM
I was watching this show on the National Geographic channel earlier this evening, about a group of people who were out in the Mexican desert to get water samples from caves deep within some mountain, cause they supposedly might contain some unknown micro-organisms that might help the study of evolution. Or something like that; it doesn't matter. But they went to an abandoned 19th century mine, and one of them climbed down the 600-meter shaft to look for the water while the others stayed in a small cavern about 400 meters up. So he's hanging down trying to climb up to some cavern after seeing the bottom blocked by obsolete mining equipment, and the narrator says something like "Tono is all alone down there. If anything happens, no one will be able to help him."

Cut to multiple angle camera shots of Tono climbing up the ropes to reach the cavern.

This always bothers me. There is a cameraman there, right next to Tono. He's not alone. I'm sure it's a risky ordeal, but there's no need to over-dramatize it... I see this sort of thing constantly on this type of shows, and it always annoys me. I guess there are other people doing all these dangerous things at the same time who don't have a production team along with them, but if they were going for authenticity then they've failed, in my opinion. Besides, I don't need you to falsely exaggerate the drama to know that it's dangerous. It's unnecessary.

I'd like to see a documentary on the making of a documentary once... just to know how big a team they actually send out, and how much of what we see in the final product of such a show is authentic.

The show itself was interesting, though. Not so much what they went there to do, but rather seeing all the ancient mining equipment scattered around, rusting away. It's strange to think there were once hundreds of people deep inside that mountain, completely disconnected from the outside world.

Makes me wanna read Jules Verne again.

silent1
11-26-2003, 03:20 PM
yes i like pizza as well.