View Full Version : What do you do about E-Mail Spam

MonteLDS
10-29-2003, 02:02 PM
I am currently using MS Outlook 2003 that has a built in filter, and in the past had made my own "rules" or used McAfee Spam Killer software.

None of these seem to be full proff yet. Anyone else have any better luck.

I'm pretty sure some of these compainies have sold my email address :mad:

oui henri
10-29-2003, 02:03 PM
i erase them

meow
10-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by MonteLDS
full proff

Fool proof?

Boner
10-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Really, what's the difference between E-Mail Spam and riding around town on your bicycle, showing up at people's houses, and trying to convert them to your chosen faith?

spa ced
10-29-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by The Ace of Aces
Really, what's the difference between E-Mail Spam and riding around town on your bicycle, showing up at people's houses, and trying to convert them to your chosen faith?

ZING!

meow
10-29-2003, 02:06 PM
Really, what's the difference between E-Mail Spam and riding around town on your bicycle, showing up at people's houses, and trying to convert them to your chosen faith? http://www.theslowlane.com/93tripc/amish.jpg

Junebug
10-29-2003, 02:08 PM
I sort of set up a different e-mail address for any time I have to give it out to companies where I figure they'll sell it. As for already getting spam...yeah i just delete it :erm.

silent1
10-29-2003, 02:08 PM
don't read them

Nimrod's Son
10-29-2003, 02:09 PM
Really, what's the difference between E-Mail Spam and riding around town on your bicycle, showing up at people's houses, and trying to convert them to your chosen faith? You can't punch email spammers in the stomach or spray them with a hose.

Boner
10-29-2003, 02:11 PM
On a serious note, don't even open the email. Most of the companies who send spam subscribe to a service such as SmartDM, which allows them to see if you open the e-mail. It lets the spammers know who to keep harassing.

It's kind of like don't even open the door when the Mormon kids show up at your house.

MonteLDS
10-29-2003, 02:11 PM

classic example of a netphorian who has to make mention of a dislike of my religon when the topic has NOTHING to do with it
:rolleyes:

Elvis The Fat Years
10-29-2003, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
You can't punch email spammers in the stomach or spray them with a hose.

Fuck that. A friend of mine had a shitty day at work, so he went home and started drinking. Some mormons came to his door and started yappin', so he started laughing and pulling his pants down and then began to piss on his porch to get them off of it. He said it looked like one of the ladies was going to faint.

spa ced
10-29-2003, 02:21 PM
On a serious note

I took your earlier comments seriously.

Boner
10-29-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by spa ced

I took your earlier comments seriously.

Okay. "On a less offensive note..."

palidor
10-29-2003, 02:23 PM
I use MailWasher (http://www.mailwasher.net/) ... it's an amazing program that really cuts down on spam. Here's how it works.. Mailwasher checks your email for you (you'd have to tell outlook or your email program to not check automatically), it lists all the messages you have and you can read them, but they're still on your email server.

At that point, you can check to "Delete" and/or "Bounce" any of the messages. If you delete them, they're gone. If you bounce them, they get an email back that makes it look like your email address doesn't exist.

But it gets better ;)

You have a blacklist and a friends list. You can right click any email, and "Add to Blacklist" or "Add to Friends List", or "Add Entire Domain To Blacklist" or friends list. That way when you get a spam message, just go ahead and blacklist them (or the entire domain, as long as it isn't something like hotmail).

After a while you start to build up a solid blacklist of spammers.. and when you check your email all the people on your blacklist automatically have the "Delete" and "Bounce" boxes checked next to the message. you just click "Process Mail" in mailwasher, it gets rid of all the garbage messages, and all you keep is what you need.

It's a bit of a hassle, but once you get used to it you'll love it.. it really cuts down on my spam :)

spa ced
10-29-2003, 02:25 PM

Okay. "On a less offensive note..."

That's more like it.
You shouldn't retract statements said with truth in them.

Nimrod's Son
10-29-2003, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by palidor
I use MailWasher (http://www.mailwasher.net/) ... it's an amazing program that really cuts down on spam. Here's how it works.. Mailwasher checks your email for you (you'd have to tell outlook or your email program to not check automatically), it lists all the messages you have and you can read them, but they're still on your email server.

At that point, you can check to "Delete" and/or "Bounce" any of the messages. If you delete them, they're gone. If you bounce them, they get an email back that makes it look like your email address doesn't exist.

But it gets better ;)

You have a blacklist and a friends list. You can right click any email, and "Add to Blacklist" or "Add to Friends List", or "Add Entire Domain To Blacklist" or friends list. That way when you get a spam message, just go ahead and blacklist them (or the entire domain, as long as it isn't something like hotmail).

After a while you start to build up a solid blacklist of spammers.. and when you check your email all the people on your blacklist automatically have the "Delete" and "Bounce" boxes checked next to the message. you just click "Process Mail" in mailwasher, it gets rid of all the garbage messages, and all you keep is what you need.

It's a bit of a hassle, but once you get used to it you'll love it.. it really cuts down on my spam :) I also endorse Mail Washer, although it only supports POP mail accounts, so Hotmail/AOL?/Yahoo users are SOL.

palidor
10-29-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
I also endorse Mail Washer, although it only supports POP mail accounts, so Hotmail/AOL?/Yahoo users are SOL.

Hotmail/AOL/Yahoo users are just begging to be spammed anyways.

Mason R Butler
10-29-2003, 02:43 PM
I don't give my address out everywhere. I get 1-2 pieces of spam a week. It works beautifully.

Nimrod's Son
10-29-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Mason R Butler
I don't give my address out everywhere. I get 1-2 pieces of spam a week. It works beautifully. The most common way spammers get your address is by spiders crawling websites for addresses that are listed and by signing up for other things.

I have an account that I never gave the address out on and never posted it on the web. I still get shitloads of spam.. the account is quite old. Often spammers will also get your address if you forward something to someone and then they forward it on, etc. Those forward chains have a ton of active accts listed.

RopeyLopey
10-29-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Junebug
I sort of set up a different e-mail address for any time I have to give it out to companies where I figure they'll sell it.