View Full Version : quitting my job

lucky_13
10-28-2003, 01:25 AM
its an internship. it sucks. they don't pay me. i'm not learning anything. my grades are suffering. its exhausting.

so how do i quit? can i send them an email? if i quit tomorrow can i say i'm not coming in on thursday? i've only quit one job before and my friend was my boss. i hate disappointing people but i'm not getting anything positive out of it. bah i hate this.

Affectation
10-28-2003, 01:26 AM
Two weeks notice is customary.

lucky_13
10-28-2003, 01:29 AM
but its an internship! which means i'm disposable. right?

Swuggie83
10-28-2003, 02:08 AM
<font color="#0080ff">As Karl Marx would say, unfortunately you are the bourgeoisie and, therefore, part of the reserve army of labor. This means that YES, you are disposable, but you might want to act like you aren't when you tell them or else you might piss them off.</font color>

THRILLHO
10-28-2003, 02:21 AM
if you want a reference from them, bang it out for two minimal weeks.

if not, you have two options. either stop showing up to work, or purchase a sledgehammer, a rabbit suit and 8 bottles of choclate nestle quik syrup and "go out with a bang."

Esty
10-28-2003, 02:31 AM
^ What he said. You don't want to burn your bridges. You never know, you may need them for something down the road and you want to be remembered fondly.

lucky_13
10-28-2003, 02:33 AM
but what if i say i have mono? mono is good.

BlueStar
10-28-2003, 02:57 AM
It is just an internship, quit whenever the hell you want to. If you want to use them as a reference down the line, you should give them some notice. But if you just want to list it on your resume, but not use anyone from that job as a reference, you can totally send them an e-mail right now and tell them you quit.

BlueStar
10-28-2003, 02:59 AM
You could always tell them you have mono and basically call in sick for awhile and then after a week or so tell them that you aren't getting any better and that you hate to let them down, but it would probably be best for everyone if you just quit.

lucky_13
10-28-2003, 03:08 AM
can i even put them on my resume if i've only been there a month?

BlueStar
10-28-2003, 03:19 AM
Originally posted by lucky_13
can i even put them on my resume if i've only been there a month?

Eh. You can if you need to. A month isn't very long. But, if you haven't had a lot of other jobs/internships, you could go ahead and list it on your resume. (Alternatively, you could list it as a volunteer activity under the "activities" section of your resume.)

lucky_13
10-28-2003, 03:21 AM
yeah i wouldn't consider putting it on my resume but its the job that comes the closest to what i want to do as my career so it could help me land my dream job later in life. too bad it sucks sucks sucks.

BlueStar
10-28-2003, 03:34 AM
If you aren't enjoying it, it's not worth it. Try to find something that you will enjoy more.

meow
10-28-2003, 04:55 AM
Go to your boss's office. Sit on his/her desk. Remove one shoe, and then the sock/stocking. Proceed to place your big toe in his/her coffee.

Problem Solved!

jenniferkate
10-28-2003, 08:19 AM
but what if i say i have mono? mono is good.

that'll work fine til you potentially run into your ex-boss on the street. new york's the worst kind of small town sometimes.

you should've taken that job with the grandma from Fox!

BeautifulLoser
10-28-2003, 09:58 AM
Why the hell are you so adamant about not being courteous and giving them two damn weeks notice? Most of the time if you tell them "I'm giving two weeks' notice", they'll just tell you don't worry about it anyway.

Don't make excuses. Too many people nowadays make excuses. Just be upfront, tell them you can't handle work and school at the same time, tell them you'll give them two more weeks, and then that's it.

Fucking jeebus.

lucky_13
10-28-2003, 10:32 AM
its not about courtesy. i just don't have the courage to go up to these people and let them down. i wanted this job so much and it backfired on me.

i'm afraid that my grades will suffer more if i continue for another 2 weeks.

Nimrod's Son
10-28-2003, 10:50 AM
its not about courtesy. i just don't have the courage to go up to these people and let them down. i wanted this job so much and it backfired on me.

i'm afraid that my grades will suffer more if i continue for another 2 weeks. If you don't have the courage to quit an internship, how the hell do you expect to survive in the business world? Really, you need to just get the fuck over it and be a fucking adult about it.

lucky_13
10-28-2003, 10:53 AM
i don't. i don't have a backbone. you telling me to be a fucking adult makes me cringe.

Nimrod's Son
10-28-2003, 10:55 AM
i don't. i don't have a backbone. you telling me to be a fucking adult makes me cringe. If you plan to get anywhere in the business world, you'd better develop one.

wangcomputers
10-28-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Nimrod's Son
If you plan to get anywhere in the business world, you'd better develop one.

Invertebrates, when will they ever learn?

Transformer
10-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by meow
Go to your boss's office. Sit on his/her desk. Remove one shoe, and then the sock/stocking. Proceed to place your big toe in his/her coffee.

Problem Solved!

Dude! I like it :D

Affectation
10-28-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by BlueStar
You could always tell them you have mono and basically call in sick for awhile and then after a week or so tell them that you aren't getting any better and that you hate to let them down, but it would probably be best for everyone if you just quit. Or you could just be fucking honest. Grow some balls, trick.