View Full Version : Ella Fitzgerald, etc.

Junebug
10-23-2002, 06:00 AM
I don't quite know which genre this is...blues? jazz? I'm loving it. Listening to Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington...even Frank Sinatra hehehe. It's very mellowing and uplifting but not sickeningly sappy. I just downloaded some random songs, but At Last is definitely going to be played at my wedding. Someone tell me what they know about these guys and who/what else to listen to. Please?

jenniferkate
10-23-2002, 07:15 AM
nina simone.

sawdust restaurants
10-23-2002, 06:26 PM
It's most frequently called vocal jazz, and a lot of it is great stuff.

Try Edith Piaf--she's the Billie Holiday of France. And, of course, try Billie Holiday (Lady in Satin is a good place to start).

Sarah Vaughan is lesser known today, but still damn impressive; greatest hits albums are probably much easier to get ahold of than actual discs, but if you can find the real thing, try her two volumes of Gershwin standards. They are immaculate.

Carmen McRae doesn't have the voice of an Ella or a Billie, but she is less straight-forward, especially lyrically, which makes listening to her music a different experience than you would normally get with most vocal jazz classics. She has a great album of Theolonius Monk covers, which is actually better than most of her own earlier work, and her Great American Songwriters discs/LPs are probably her most popular and famous.

Etta James is frequently more bluesy than most, and from a later time period. Download "I Just Want To Make Love To You" and move from there.

Finally, I would also like to second Nina Simone.

Junebug
10-24-2002, 12:33 AM
Ah, thank you very much. I'm having a hard time finding anything on Sarah Vaughan, but I'm downloading all the other ones right now. Vocal jazz....not too shabby.

Salena Child
10-24-2002, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by sawdust restaurants

Etta James is frequently more bluesy than most, and from a later time period. Download "I Just Want To Make Love To You" and move from there.

i really like her voice.
also billie holiday.

PunkMC
10-24-2002, 08:28 PM
if you like just jazz music with NO vocals...John Coltrane's Blue Train and also THelonious Monk with John Coltrane...I've also got a cd calle "Introducing the Jazz Masters" which has some really good stuff on it..

sawdust restaurants
10-24-2002, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by PunkMC
if you like just jazz music with NO vocals...John Coltrane's Blue Train and also THelonious Monk with John Coltrane...I've also got a cd calle "Introducing the Jazz Masters" which has some really good stuff on it..

A Love Supreme is better than Blue Train.