View Full Version : Can someone answer me some questions regarding Palestine?

Injektilo
10-13-2003, 08:53 AM
yeah, i'm writting a paper on the concept of the state and i'm comparing it to Palestine.

but theres some information thats so basic that i can't seem to find it....

so does anyone want to tell me if Palestine has what can be considered a goverment? i mean, they have the PLO, and i guess if the people consider them a government, then they are, but .. does anyone else? And what about the palestinian authority? what is there authority?

c'mon netphoria, show off your knowledge for me. or if you just wanna give me a good link or two, thats cool too.

Boner
10-13-2003, 08:56 AM
http://www.palestine-online.org/

Nestled in the pine-clad hills of East Texas is the charming city of Palestine, a place where the contrast of historic old and progressive new provides an unforgettable environment.
Romantic Victorian homes, museums and over 1800 historical sites grace this city. Magnolias and an array of white columns transport us to an easier time, when the steamboat was king and the horse drawn buggy ruled the road.

Those who revel in the glories of the past will find an abundance of historical structures, second only to Galveston. Travel quaint old streets, with bed & breakfasts and antique shops you'll want to visit again and again.

The changing seasons welcome everyone...and beckon those who relish the new blush of a Redbud or the radiant beauty of the Dogwood blossoms in Spring. Palestine brings the springtime sightseer scenic Dogwood blooms that twinkle like stars amidst the rolling hills of East Texas. See and tour this beauty in Davey Dogwood Park. A walk through the winding trails and gentle hills will satisfy anyone's quest for renewal. When you visit Palestine, you will experience a grand part of Texas History. Come and see...

History
Palestine is the birthplace of over twenty famous Texans who molded this great state through Education, Religion, and Industry. Here you will find Victorian homes from the early 1800's that can be viewed during one of the historic tours. Palestine is second only to Galveston in the number of historic structures in a Texas city.

Texas State Railroad
"All Aboard!" cries the conductor and it's 1896 all over again, as you ride the steel rails of the Texas State Railroad. You'll enjoy the clickity-clack of one of Texas' main attractions as you weave your way through a relaxing trip in a land of yesteryear. This 1896 train pulled by one of the original steam locomotives takes you on a thirty mile tour of scenic East Texas Forests. It is especially fun when you ride one of the special events like the "Murder on the Dis-Oriented Express" or the Christmas Victorian Train Ride.

Attractions
Texas State Railroad, Davey Dogwood Park, Museum of East Texas Culture, Howard House Museum or the Community Forest, we fill the bill for history, nature, recreation and entertainment.

Shopping
Looking for a great place to shop? We've got it! Antique stores, world famous Eilenberger's Bakery, curio shops, boutiques, art galleries and more. We are the "shop-'till-you-drop" place.

Dining
We have the cuisine that will please your palate. Charming restaurants, unusual cafes, specialty sandwich shops and tea rooms offer a choice of menu that will quench your thirst and quite your hunger.

Accommodations
Whether you want to sit in a swing on a winding porch listening to the symphony of the night breezes or enjoy the amenities of modern hotels, we can meet your needs. Quaint Bed & Breakfast Inns in Victorian homes nestled in charming neighborhoods and conveniently located hotels will welcome you to an evenings rest of comfort and enjoyment.

Recreation
Golf, fishing, canoeing, cycling, bird watching, hiking, tennis, no matter what your sporting forte is, we have got you covered.

Art & Culture
Whether you like visual arts or living arts, you will find it here. Our theater groups perform originally produced and Broadway plays and musicals throughout the year. As you wander the streets of Palestine, you will see the extraordinary talent of our local artists in the murals on walls throughout the town. You might even want to check out some of our art galleries for that special piece of art.

Events
There is always something going on. Hot Pepper Festival, Rough Rider Reenactment Camps, Canoe Race, Dogwood Trails Festival, Melodrama Theater, Victorian Christmas Train Ride, Rodeos, Bike Tours, Old West Reenactment Camps, Tour of Homes, Chili Cook offs...boy, do we have events.

Natural Beauty
Beauty abounds in Palestine and offers a cornucopia of breathtaking sites throughout our parks and countryside. Dogwoods, Azaleas, Fall colors, Spring flowers, any season is a good reason to visit Palestine.

504 North Queen Street
Palestine, Texas 75801

Injektilo
10-13-2003, 09:08 AM
ok, so now that we've got the "funneh" out of the way...

Nimrod's Son
10-13-2003, 09:13 AM
As of this year, they have established a parliment-type government, but its seen by Israel as a puppet government run by (President) Arafat. He appointed a Prime Minister (Ahmed Qureia) and a full cabinet, and the US supports dealing with this government as a means towards peace. You'd do best by searching the Google News or CNN for details since it's a recent development. I'm not an "expert" but I know what I told you is correct.

obscured01
10-13-2003, 09:16 AM
<font color="DAB9E8">I give you props for doing a paper over that... but I always make a fool out of myself when I open my mouth about the whole Palestinian issue. Sorry, I'm no help.

Isn't there any searches on history that you can do about what was involved when Israel took that area, their not having a state, when the plo came into power... etc? Like look up the history of palestine in a search engine or something.
</font>

Injektilo
10-13-2003, 09:21 AM
yeah, most sites are too specific, they dont answer my general stuff
but i foudn some info at wikipedia that helped me a bit.

Nimrod's Son
10-13-2003, 09:24 AM
http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/struggle_for_peace/**********/

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/struggle_for_peace/west.bank.html

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/struggle_for_peace/key.players/groups.html

http://www.cnn.com/WORLD/struggle_for_peace/key.players/arafat/index.html

sppunk
10-13-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by The Ace of Aces
http://www.palestine-online.org/

They forgot to mention they boast the No. 1 ranked high school football player in the nation.

Lizard Queen
10-13-2003, 11:58 AM
They lack a territory that is uniquely theirs to define themselves as a state, as well as internation recognition of their own statehood. If they were an internationally recognized state, then Arafat would be, for all intents and purposes, their head of state.

SPZero
10-13-2003, 03:38 PM
I have a friend that is palistinian and she was adopted...